Main Menu

About classic rock music in a serious way \m/

Started by Bongo Jack, 22 October, 2008, 09:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeblues69

Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Just drop it and put the cd player/computer on replay = The night will be a MAJOR SUCCESS. You're welcome.
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "TheEdge"The reason i mentioned Sultans of Swing was for the Lyrics in the song:-

"And a crowd of young boys theyre fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They dont give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It aint what they call rock and roll"

Put down by a Mark Knopfler lyric. Oh, the anger! Oh, the biting satire! Oh ... it rather proves my point.

For me.

This is a stupid argument, because, as I have already observed, it is so personal. I've heard quite a lot of Dire Straits, so I'm not arguing from a position of ignorance here. It's just that they fail to excite me in any way whatsoever.

Although I am not now, nor have I ever been, a punk, allow me to counter with the words of my good friends from NOFX:

"I want conflict! I want dissent!
I want the scene to represent...
Our hatred of authority,
our fight against complacency
stop singing songs about girls and love!"

Real rock music has always been dangerous: remember that the Rolling Stones were the antithesis of the Beatles, they were the band that you couldn't take home to meet mother; they were cocky, disrespectful and downright dirty (although, on that note, see also the Beatles hilarious 90 second parody of the Stones with "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" on the White Album*). Fast forward a few years to The Who, and "My Generation" was every bit as incendiary (in fact, probably more so, given context) as "Anarchy in the UK". I can trace a straight line from The Doors and The Velvet Underground to about half of my favourite bands.

That's my rock music, classic or otherwise. That's what I first liked about Rammstein - the fact that they seemed to step into a fairly direct lineage from Sabbath, a band that would send children running home crying for their mother.

I want my rock music to provoke a reaction beyond "Meh ..." I'd sooner hate a track and understand what the artist was aiming for, than be merely unimpressed.

Cheers!

Jim

* Double irony being that it's one of the best tracks on the album.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Al_Ewing

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

TordelBack

Classic Rock is music that made you feel energised, individual, motivated, antagonistic and downright alive when you were young.  Hence the stomping of feet and flailing of hair.

If that was Dire Straits, well... there you go.

(The use of the term 'classic' immediately imposes a relativism, based on where the observer stands).

TheEdge

I just wanted to make a Distinction between Classic Rock and Classic.....Rock Tracks.

I'm not a big Straits fan, i do like a few of their tracks and they are of the era of classic rock,
i think the pistols and NOFX class as Punk rock not classic rock

I'll see your NOFX and raise you RATM

"And now you do what they told ya
And now you do what they told ya
And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control
And now you do what they told ya!"

PS I'd class the beatles as a POP group who had a few rock sounding tracks, they were not the only POP band that tried to cash in on rock ( The OSMONDS - Crazy Horses)
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Tanky

QuoteNot one of you have given me your DEFINITION OF CLASSIC ROCK

Its up there, on my last post. Can you see me?!

At this point, I've forgotten who's actually putting this gig on but if you're going to play nothing but 70's and 80's, it's going to be a very quiet night. Still, if we're pigeonholing things, I do hope you're not putting RATM in the punk box? Also, unless your entire crowd is in their 50s, I'd steer well clear of Dire Straits altogether.

Al_Ewing

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "TheEdge"I just wanted to make a Distinction between Classic Rock and Classic.....Rock Tracks.

Since even you don't appear to know what you're arguing about, I think we'd best pack it in at this point.

On the subject of Rage Against The Machine, I wish I could remember who completely ruined "Killing In The Name Of" by pointing out that you can sing "Fuck you, I won't tidy my bedroom" to the chorus.

Also, 0/10 for reading comprehension where my point about The Beatles was concerned: I was very specifically pointing out that rock music, classic or otherwise, is a reaction against the mainstream and derives its energy from that very act of rebellion, like The Stones, like The Who, like The Pistols, and I only cited The Beatles as an example of what was being reacted against.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bongo Jack

There's a good mix of cross-generational stuff getting played, from Ike Turner's Rocket 88 to MCR's Teenagers, not just 70s and 80s mainstays.  Straits always get a response alongside Queen and Thin Lizzy, so the popular vote is in for them, I'm afraid.  Personal taste is another matter entirely, but where DS aren't the most rebellious of characters, I'm sure they've inspired the odd bit of anarchy in others, even if it's just men in the throes of a mid-life crisis.
The rest of the rock-night playlist is self-indulgence of the worst kind, although I have to admit I enjoy the blink-and-you'll-miss-it daftness of the odd Animetal track (Kamen Rider Black being a good one) and TV themes - hearing the complete lack of shame as grown men with families shout "Thundercats - HOOOOOOO!" is something else.
Live forever or die trying

Al_Ewing

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"On the subject of Rage Against The Machine, I wish I could remember who completely ruined "Killing In The Name Of" by pointing out that you can sing "Fuck you, I won't tidy my bedroom" to the chorus.

A thousand thank yous for pointing this out.

TheEdge

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Also, 0/10 for reading comprehension where my point about The Beatles was concerned: I was very specifically pointing out that rock music, classic or otherwise, is a reaction against the mainstream and derives its energy from that very act of rebellion, like The Stones, like The Who, like The Pistols, and I only cited The Beatles as an example of what was being reacted against.

Cheers!

Jim

Also 0/10??????? i never had a problem comprehending your post i was agreeing with you, i dont class the beatles as a Rock group

And i'd have to give you 0/10 for reading comprehension as i'm not having an argument, i was trying to discuss what people classed as classic rock, as people seem to have different definitions of it when i believe it is straight forward in most cases what genre different bands are classed as.

If you are DJ'ing a classic Rock night then groups like RATM and NOFX shouldnt be used, if you are DJ'ing a night of classic rock tracks thats differenet

( i also dont class RATM as Punk)

Tanky

QuoteOn the subject of Rage Against The Machine, I wish I could remember who completely ruined "Killing In The Name Of" by pointing out that you can sing "Fuck you, I won't tidy my bedroom" to the chorus.
see also 'got a cute little tortoise'

or is that just me? :?

QuoteIf you are DJ'ing a classic Rock night then groups like RATM and NOFX shouldnt be used, if you are DJ'ing a night of classic rock tracks thats differenet

Y'know what Just Might Work? Bill it however you like and play to who you see. Play the above if there are lots of people there who grew up in the 90s. Play their requests and listen to them when they talk to you about music or argue about definitions. Be nice, make time for people, be prepared for punters with tastes different from your own. Ask them what they would prefer to hear. If a random chav asks for some 'hardcore innit', stick some Napalm Death on, that'll soon shift him. Take advantage of the free booze, in case of musical emergency, play Back in Black. In case of toilet/cigarette based emergency, play Metallica (any will do, it's all half an hour long). And above all
HAVE FUN!
Tanky x

Thursday

Quote from: "Tanky"see also 'got a cute little tortoise'

And 'I could do with a toastie'.  Never heard the bedroom one before, though, that's genius.

TheEdge

Quote from: "Tanky"
QuoteOn the subject of Rage Against The Machine, I wish I could remember who completely ruined "Killing In The Name Of" by pointing out that you can sing "Fuck you, I won't tidy my bedroom" to the chorus.
see also 'got a cute little tortoise'

or is that just me? :?

QuoteIf you are DJ'ing a classic Rock night then groups like RATM and NOFX shouldnt be used, if you are DJ'ing a night of classic rock tracks thats differenet

Y'know what Just Might Work? Bill it however you like and play to who you see. Play the above if there are lots of people there who grew up in the 90s. Play their requests and listen to them when they talk to you about music or argue about definitions. Be nice, make time for people, be prepared for punters with tastes different from your own. Ask them what they would prefer to hear. If a random chav asks for some 'hardcore innit', stick some Napalm Death on, that'll soon shift him. Take advantage of the free booze, in case of musical emergency, play Back in Black. In case of toilet/cigarette based emergency, play Metallica (any will do, it's all half an hour long). And above all
HAVE FUN!
Tanky x

In the Cathouse (rock club) in glasgow i remember mosh pits to brtiney/cristina tunes, it was something to behold.

TordelBack

QuoteIn the Cathouse (rock club) in glasgow i remember mosh pits to brtiney/cristina tunes, it was something to behold.

Hit Me Baby One More Time being particularly good fun.