Main Menu

sorry, it's a pronunciation thread again

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 17 May, 2009, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: "House of Usher"But the Cythrons aren't Celts. They're aliens from space. If they come along pronouncing a soft 'c', with all the reptilian sibiliance of the Sith, it serves to underscore their alienness.

I'll admit, I don't think I've read the strips where they appear, apart from the latest. (I assume Cythrons, and the Cyth of the latest story are the same?) I'm surprised they're aliens though, I assumed they were some kind of demonic or otherworldly species being a fantasy strip and all.

As for your point concerning the pronunciation, I think it depends on whether 'cythron' is their own word for their species, or that of the celts (or proto-celts if you like.) Even if it is the former, their language and alphabet would be completely different, so it's likely we're seeing a phonetic spelling so I'd still go with the celtic pronunciation of the word.  Especially as it's related to Cythrawl, which is a word that does feature in Irish mythology. (The Cythrawl were demons I think, although in this latest strip it appears to be the Cyths homeland or planet.)

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteNever mind Sláine. How do you pronounce 'cythron'? is it like the 'sythe' in Bruce Forsythe, or is it a bit like a Citroen car?

[quoteI've always thought sith-ron sounded best][/quote]

QuoteEveryone else seems to pronounce it with a short 'y', sounding like 'Sith' in Star Wars.

I always go with the "Star Wars" pronounciation.

As in Sith.

Doesn't mean my pronouciation is correct though.

QuoteNo idea if it's right but in my head I always said Kith-ron.

Quote!No idea if it's right but in my head I always said Kith-ron.

Thats a new one. Sound like one of the owrds from a old White-Wolf RPG game called "Changeling: The Dreaming" In i's lexicon, I though ti might have been another word for related. Such as a blood relative or related but mortal as apposed to actuelley being one of the Fey. If my memory serves correctly.

QuoteI'm sure the 'C' at the start is pronounced hard though. In my experience celtic 'c's are always pronounced hard (always k, never s.)

Never occurred to me, but It might be the most correct pronounciation by far. Though I'm always alternate between using the hard "K" and soft "C" when using the word "Celt" and I probably unconciously do this when pronoucing "Cythron" as well.

QuoteAlso the Cythrons had a hard exoskeleton like the chitinous bodies of beetles

May be Cythron is a partially derived from the word Chitin?

They ( --and those Diluvials--) vaguely remind me of those Xeno-morphs designed by H.Giger. That Creature from "Alien", though I suspect the "Cyth" are some sort of alien/demon race that Pat Mills got from reading some book on 'Eldar gods". ( Read the Forward written by Pat MIll's.) Hence, that is perhaps what the word "Cyth" or "Cythron' means. I think that the word "Cyth itself is referring to the sleeping gods that the Cythrons worshipped. They themselves might have all been once gods. Though this is only my speculation.

QuoteBut the Cythrons aren't Celts. They're aliens from space. If they come along pronouncing a soft 'c', with all the reptilian sibiliance of the Sith, it serves to underscore their alienness.

I know your the english here. But isn't the word "Celt " from the Greeks. As the word "Cyth" might be as well. Even if they are aliens. Thats my excuse. If you know better and can support your claims. Well, shame on me.

QuoteAs for your point concerning the pronunciation, I think it depends on whether 'cythron' is their own word for their species, or that of the celts (or proto-celts if you like.) Even if it is the former, their language and alphabet would be completely different, so it's likely we're seeing a phonetic spelling so I'd still go with the celtic pronunciation of the word.

Well, there you go. In my own researching "Celt" is not a word that the Celts might have ever used for themselves. Although Pat Mills has Slaine himsefl using this reference somewhere in "Slaine the King" I beleive. perhaps this was for the sake of brevity, I hope.

It's just like the Australian Aborigines. They call themselves the 'Koori or Kouri and not Aborigines.

QuoteI'll admit, I don't think I've read the strips where they appear, apart from the latest. ( I assume Cythrons, and the Cyth of the latest story are the same?) I'm surprised they're aliens though, I assumed they were some kind of demonic or otherworldly species being a fantasy strip and all.

I think aliens, or demons or both. What do you reckon the early peoples might have thought about crop circles and alien abductions, and anal probing. I say that those aliens were demons. I amgine that these "Cythrons" are the "Grey Aliens" of the "Slaine" univerce. Though very evil ones at that. I have recalled reading about real accounts of a alien race of reptilian humanoids that is supposedly really popluar with Cultists and New-Agers. They have visited out planet many times, warring with our supposed alien ancestors. Though, this is subject to lots of debate and my only real interest in this is the same as my interest in "20000AD" and "Slaine" in particular. Not the truth of these claims, but how they have been mixed in with our apparently real world history. If it's not true, then it's really good Science-Fiction material.

Dare to beleive!!!

QuoteEspecially as it's related to Cythrawl, which is a word that does feature in Irish mythology. (The Cythrawl were demons I think, although in this latest strip it appears to be the Cyths homeland or planet.)

FInding out that the word "Cythrawl" is the real word for the Celtic underworld or just "hell" was surprising to me. the word itself is obviously in conection with the supposed fictious race of "Cythrons" or just the "Cyth". though I couldn't source anything more on these "Cythrons" and anything more on this hellish underworld place called "Cythrawl".

Though I do recall that one of the many times I googled "Cyth". I got the words, "Slithering, Coils of the Serpent or Serpent- like."  Perhaps that is referring to them. The term Serpent-people were also used for the amphibious variety of Formorians. somewhere in the "Books of the Invasions"

So I'm not really sure about the reference, then.  

I'm also not sure if the Cythrawl were the name of the demons, but I think that was the name of the place. Which I don't think was ever real.

I was hoping for this to be explained in the "Slaine Role Playing games". Both of them by "Mongoose Publisihng". Though their writers haven't said much about the "Cyth" or "Cythrawl'. There is a very brief explanation and no stats, powers or abilites given. I was always disappointed with that.

QuoteIncidentally, I remember reading the very first Sláine, when I was about 6 or 7, with my Dad, who went to an Irish-speaking school. He told me how to pronounce it. It is, of course, pronounced 'Sláine'. Never mention this again.Never mind Sláine. How do you pronounce 'cythron'? is it like the 'sythe' in Bruce Forsythe, or is it a bit like a Citroen car? I always chose the former.

Incidentally, I remember reading the very first Sláine, when I was about 6 or 7, with my Dad, who went to an Irish-speaking school. He told me how to pronounce it. It is, of course, pronounced 'Sláine'. Never mention this again.

Damn, one of my favorite topics of converstion on this board. I have always have and always will pronouced "Slaine" to rhyme with "Pain".

If was was to be pedantic I would pronouce it as "Slee-Why--Why" but only to myself and not out loud.

House of Usher

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Well, there you go. In my own researching "Celt" is not a word that the Celts might have ever used for themselves. It's just like the Australian Aborigines. They call themselves the 'Koori or Kouri and not Aborigines.
Did you know the Cheyenne Indians didn't call themselves Cheyenne? Their own name for themselves was Tsé-tsêhéstâhese. It was their Dakota Sioux neighbours who called them 'Cheyenne'.

Bearing in mind Pat Mills himself pronounces Slaine to rhyme with pain, I wouldn't put it past him to pronounce Cythrawl as 'scythe-rawl', even it does occur pronounced differently in Irish folklore.
STRIKE !!!

Kev Levell

"Sigh-thron" is the way I always said it in my head.
AND everyone above is correct, Sláine ryhmes with pain - I can't even say "Shlawnye"!

Dark Jimbo

Always pronounced it to sound sort of like 'Citreon.'
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"Always pronounced it to sound sort of like 'Citreon.'
What the El?!
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

Embarassed about this one but why let a pronunciation thread go to waste. I've always wondered about the pronunciation of of one ofmy favorite tooth artists: MacMahon. Is it pronounced Mac-Ma-hoan or Mic-Man or some other way my backward American mind can't guess at?

James Stacey

Quote from: "Ignatzmonster"Embarassed about this one but why let a pronunciation thread go to waste. I've always wondered about the pronunciation of of one ofmy favorite tooth artists: MacMahon. Is it pronounced Mac-Ma-hoan or Mic-Man or some other way my backward American mind can't guess at?
Mac Marn I'd think

johnnystress

Unless he is using some weird pronounciation  it's

Mac-maa-hun

johnnystress

Quote from: "JamesS"Mac Marn I'd think

Aiiieee the English silent "r" again!

Nooooo!

James Stacey

Quote from: "johnnystress"Aiiieee the English silent "r" again!

Nooooo!
Less of the English, you! :)

johnnystress

then you have no excuse! none!

for shame

:D

Matt Timson

Pffft...

I, Cosh

Quote from: "JamesS"
Quote from: "Ignatzmonster"Embarassed about this one but why let a pronunciation thread go to waste. I've always wondered about the pronunciation of of one ofmy favorite tooth artists: MacMahon. Is it pronounced Mac-Ma-hoan or Mic-Man or some other way my backward American mind can't guess at?
Mac Marn I'd think
I'd normally pronounce it Mic Ma'an. No idea how Mick does it.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

Always: Micmac Marrrghn!

Never mind all that, how do you guys pronounce the name of the comic? I seem to get strange looks when asking for "twoooooo-add".

Though, in all seriosity, for years Nemesis was "Nemeesis" for me. In fact, it was probably only Shriekback that knocked that on the head.

Steev