Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2023, 07:37:16 AM
I'm smoking a rollie as I type this - and that's nobody's fault but my own.

Heh. Given that smoking killed both my mum's parents and, although it wasn't what saw my mum off in the end*, it obviously didn't turn out well for her, either... the fact that I'm currently in the process of stopping smoking again should give you a clue that I'm well aware that this is a thing easier said than done.

*Dementia hit early (somewhere before her mid-60s... as with all progressive diseases, it's hard to know exactly when) and she literally forgot she smoked, almost overnight — sixty a day to none. I can't recommend it as solution to quitting, though. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Link :-)

Jim, I always say that quitting is easy - I've done it loads of times :-D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Aye, best of luck Sharks, in health and in all that m'larky.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2023, 07:37:16 AM

You're right Jim, of course, and I'm sorry about your Mum's ordeal. My problem is that I find it difficult to care very much about my own future, and always have - I'm a "live for today" kind of guy when it comes to my own life. I'm smoking a rollie as I type this - and that's nobody's fault but my own.

Given all the run-ins we've had, Jim, and the way my perspective tends to wind you up, I am honestly and deeply touched that you should be the first one to care enough to take the time to offer advice; so thank you, really.

He's not wrong. And giving up the flags will (after the initial hassle) make the life you live today better as well.

I should add I am not qualified to back up this statement having being too chicken to take up smoking in school (I reckon that must be where it gets most people), I've never had to give up.

Closest I've come is taking up running in later life which has helped me shed a few stone, be generally fitter and healthier (my regular back problems and colds have reduced massively) and allows me to keep up (just) with the grandweans.

But I hope it all works out well for you Sharky.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps.

I'm just waiting for an appointment to get scanned; apparently there aren't any available for the foreseeable future.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Wishing you the best, Sharky and hope that all works out well for ye.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Good luck Sharkie, or that's the spirit as Roy Battie would say.
DDT did a job on me

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

The Legendary Shark

Cheers :-)

Scan appointment in eight weeks. Probably. (A fact it's just taken me an hour's worth of 'phone calls* to discover.)

*which equates to 2 minutes of actual conversation and 58 minutes of Greensleeves.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

I've never smoked, but when someone I know tries to quit, I always point out that David Bowie said giving up cigarettes was harder than giving up heroin. You got this.

JayzusB.Christ

Best of luck, Sharky. You're a stubborn old fecker, you'll get through this no bother :)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

I recently took up boxing, one because its fun and extremely cathartic, and two to help shed some weight. I've been doing quite well, lost a whole pound in just two months and have started to feel some kind of muscle mass I haven't had in a good five years. All very good stuff.

Except not entirely. I woke up yesterday with the mother of all stomach pains, and promptly took myself into Bolton General A&E. Turns out I've developed an umbilical hernia. The doc was a good lad, explained apparently this is actually quite common for folks of certain body types who shift a lot of weight in a short amount of time. They'll be back to me with a proc date but otherwise I might actually have to use my staff insurance benefits for once.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]