Main Menu

Lost: final season (starts on 5th Feb at 21:00 on SKY1)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 01 February, 2010, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyl

There was an epilogue that appeared online a few days ago can't find it now sorry. It was basically Ben tying up lose ends at a dharma initiative depot and he also went to meet Walt and take him to the Island with Hurley. Was quite cool.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: dyl on 11 August, 2010, 12:11:31 PM
There was an epilogue that appeared online a few days ago can't find it now sorry. It was basically Ben tying up lose ends at a dharma initiative depot and he also went to meet Walt and take him to the Island with Hurley. Was quite cool.

Here's a still/ synopsis and a 2 minute intro to the epilogue:

http://add.my.www.tvsquad.com/2010/08/09/the-lost-epilogue-spoilers-are-here/

Richmond Clements

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 11 August, 2010, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: dyl on 11 August, 2010, 12:11:31 PM

Here's a still/ synopsis and a 2 minute intro to the epilogue:

http://add.my.www.tvsquad.com/2010/08/09/the-lost-epilogue-spoilers-are-here/

Cool- I tried to download it a couple of days ago but failed... will try again, I think.
Hell, I've given them 6 years... what's another 12 minutes.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 August, 2010, 03:09:24 PM
Cool- I tried to download it a couple of days ago but failed... will try again, I think.
Hell, I've given them 6 years... what's another 12 minutes.

:lol: Ain't that the truth?!

HdE

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 August, 2010, 12:07:58 PM

Cool.
Now, what the fuck was the Dharma project all about? What was Widn=more up to, How and why did the Island move, Who was Jacob's mum... etc...

See, it's the very fact that we're left with unanswered questiosn like these that makes me feel inclined to bash the show's ending.

Unsatisfying, inconclusive, and, quite frankly, a disappointment for fans who invested in the lengthy run. Six years of stuff, and the writers couldn't tie this stuff up? In my opinion, that's atrocious.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

Just caught up with this and I thought the ending satisfied on an emotional level (but I'd been grinning like a loon since I realised that it was love that transcended all the physics and alternate realities and parallel universes etc. and would bring them together)

Less satisfied with the actual logical side of it all though - an awful lot of unanswered questions (or cases where the answer was too convoluted).

But overall - a thumbs up from me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Emp

LOST finale sucked ....really. It took six years of em fucking around to get to something i said after 4 episodes..then dismissed as being far too obvious!!

I want my time and money back!!

Paul faplad Finch

I loved the finale.  Emotional resolution over a shitload of exposition answering a checklist of questions, most of which had either already been answered (albeit implied rather than explicitly stated) or worked better left open.

After all, the island had been around long before these characters arrived and would be around long after they left. This was their story, not it's.

Just my take though. I know (a lot of) others disagreed.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

the shutdown man

Quote from: Emp on 13 November, 2010, 09:05:39 PM
LOST finale sucked ....really. It took six years of em fucking around to get to something i said after 4 episodes..then dismissed as being far too obvious!!

I want my time and money back!!

I really hope you're not going to say they were in purgatory all along....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Richmond Clements

QuoteEmotional resolution over a shitload of exposition answering a checklist of questions,

One man's 'emotional resolution' is another man's lazy writing, cop-out, slight-of-hand finish I suppose..!

Roger Godpleton

Your mom is a huge fan of my sleight-of-hand finish.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Keef Monkey

NECROPOST!

I know, but somehow it's taken me this long to get round to watching this season. Partly because I started to get really disillusioned with the approach and wasn't sure if I cared anymore, just slogging through it to get it finished more than anything else.

Has been interesting digging up this thread and reading through it to see people's thoughts, I have to say I enjoyed the last couple of episodes more than I did the last 4 seasons to be honest.

It had a nice emotional punch to it, and despite how much of a chore I felt it had become I was surprised to find that my fondness for the characters had survived it all. I was pleased with the resolution of the 'alternate reality', and seeing it all come together throughout the last season was really good telly.

It's just a real shame they strung us along as long as they did though, I reckon as a 3 or 4 season show it would have been up there with the shows I consider absolute classics. I always found that my frustration came from no-one ever having enough of an explanation for withholding information from each other. People were backstabbing and keeping each other in the dark for no real reason other than to keep the viewer in the dark and I started to feel cheated by it.

I find myself wondering if a rewatch would help or if it'll show up just how irrelevant a lot of it was (it does seem like a ton of it was them sowing the seeds for certain things and then just forgetting about them). Even the finale had a whiff of that, as all the 'tunnel of light' stuff that it's all supposedly been revolving around was only introduced about 3 episodes before the end. Hurley's numbers for example, I can't quite recall if they had any bearing on anything at all.

A long post this, but I'm just working through it in my head. It's a series I absolutely loved for the first 2 seasons, and then slowly got less and less bothered about, and it feels weird that it's finished now. Hmmmmm.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

George R.R Martin (creator of Game of Thrones) summed it up pretty well:

"By the time we reached the finale, I was still hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I still think 'Lost' told a terrific story... a terrific story with a terrible ending.

If the payoff had been equal to the set-up, I'd rank 'Lost' among the very best series in the history of television. It didn't, so I can't. So in that sense, maybe the finale did change my opinion of the show.

It certainly made me less likely to go back and watch the series again. If 'Lost' had delivered an ending that tied everything together in some brilliant and unexpected but satisfying fashion, I would have been first in line to buy the boxed set of DVDs so I could go back and watch it again episode by episode, exclaiming with pleasure, "Aha, so that's what that meant," and, "Oho, now I see, I thought that meant X, but it really meant Y." Instead, I fear, watching the series over again would give me more frustration than pleasure, and I'd find myself muttering, "Well, that was never explained," and "Oho, that was a great puzzle that led nowhere," and "Hmmm, that was kind of arbitrary."

Admittedly, I've only watched the show once, as broadcast. Which makes me a casual viewer rather than a devoted fan, I suppose. I haven't made a study of it, haven't read any of the blogs or criticism, haven't subjected the older episodes to any kind of analysis. Maybe I need to do a rewatch. Maybe if I did I would see that I was wrong, that the eventual end was actually being hinted at and foreshadowed in the first season, that all the puzzles are explained if only I looked a little deeper. Maybe.

I have my doubts, though. Unlike Locke, I am not a man of faith. I am a man of skepticism."
You may quote me on that.