Main Menu

Lost: final season (starts on 5th Feb at 21:00 on SKY1)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 01 February, 2010, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 February, 2010, 11:58:36 PMI think it's possible [spoiler]that those characters are on the plane. We just don't see them as they're not intrinsic to this story (and maybe they couldn't get the actors back).[/spoiler]

The former is unlikely because [spoiler]Sayid makes certain decisions on the island based on his relationship with a character who's specifically mentioned as never having gotten on the plane[/spoiler].  The latter is probably the case, but Lost doesn't do metafictional commentary, so "we couldn't get the actor" isn't an in-universe explanation for in-universe events.

QuoteAnyhow, I just saw the first two episodes (I waited for the telly version) and I'm enjoying it a lot. [spoiler]I wasn't too sure about a whole other bunch of Others appearing out of nowhere

If the island had a nuclear bomb go off somewhere in the past, it might have changed  the future - [spoiler]the stewardess being there despite no previous appearances, for instance.  When would she have ended up with that bunch in the show's original sequence of events?[/spoiler]

QuoteI wonder at the somewhat different change in role of the [spoiler]smoke monster/Locke 2.[/spoiler]

I wonder how and why [spoiler]Locke 2 left a room with one exit only to come back in again as the smoke monster[/spoiler] - what was the point of that?  Why not just [spoiler]change form[/spoiler] in the room?

Mardroid

Quote from: Professah Byah on 06 February, 2010, 12:53:48 PM
The former is unlikely because [spoiler]Sayid makes certain decisions on the island based on his relationship with a character who's specifically mentioned as never having gotten on the plane[/spoiler].  The latter is probably the case, but Lost doesn't do metafictional commentary, so "we couldn't get the actor" isn't an in-universe explanation for in-universe events.

The latter wasn't meant as a separate explanation, I meant the two to be taken together.[spoiler] I.e. They couldn't get the actors back so we don't see their characters, but they might still be on the plane 'in-world' as it were, just off-screen.

Concerning the character who is stated as not being on the plane. I'd forgotten that, but now you mention it...the spoilt blond girl, right (I forget her name)? I forget the specifics of that story though, but I imagine it's all explainable by the change in time-line.

It's tempting to think that the branch in timeline happened on the plane because they didn't crash. In actual fact it happened in the 70s by triggering the bomb. So in affect, some events from the character's past lives might be different too, as demonstrated by Desmond's presence. (Although to be fair I'm not sure why the lives of those particular characters (the guy and his sister) would have been affected. We do know that there have been strange coincidences and crossing of paths in the past though. Maybe the answers will be made clearer later.

Whatever decisions Sayid made regarding the character aren't relevant to the plane thread though as we're in a different time-line, spawned from events in the 70s. And from the point of view of the Sayid on the island, that other character would have still gotten on the plane and crashed with the others.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

An interview here that's quite interesting, once you get past the fluff at the start.

It also mentions Shannon.... (I'd forgotten her name in my previous post.) :)

Van Dom

Great opening episode(s).
Man it's going to suck when this show is over, I'm really going to miss staring at my screen in complete concentration and utter confusion, repeating "what's going on?" over and over again to the missus who is only vaguely interested.
Anyone know how many eps this season will run to?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

JOE SOAP

soggy

If the island had a nuclear bomb go off somewhere in the past, it might have changed  the future - [spoiler]the stewardess being there despite no previous appearances, for instance.  When would she have ended up with that bunch in the show's original sequence of events?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I thought we saw her before. Wasn't she one of the people from the tail section, the one who got abducted just before they reached the beach. [/spoiler]

the shutdown man

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 February, 2010, 11:58:36 PM

Anyhow, I just saw the first two episodes (I waited for the telly version) and I'm enjoying it a lot. [spoiler]I wasn't too sure about a whole other bunch of Others appearing out of nowhere (how many people are hiding away on this island?), although it didn't bother me that much[/spoiler] but it's great, weird, thought provoking stuff.

[spoiler]Well, we've never seen inside the Temple before now (as far as I remember), and we've never actually learned where the Others came from before they took over the Dharma Initiative. I can buy that there's a whole other group of Others living in there that have been there all along. [/spoiler]
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Dandontdare

I gave up on Lost after the first season, but I'm mildly curious as to what it was all about, so I've just scanned this thread.

I'm now quite glad I gave up to be honest! As a TV series, it all seems a bit, I dunno, tiring:D

JOE SOAP

Quote from: soggy on 07 February, 2010, 04:14:04 PM

[spoiler]I thought we saw her before. Wasn't she one of the people from the tail section, the one who got abducted just before they reached the beach. [/spoiler]

I'm assuming the air hostess was always one of the "embedded" others.

James Stacey

I've always avoided the 'Lost' party train. I saw the first 2 episodes last night. It was for research :D We are running a LRP game in a few weeks and my friend was trying to get over the vibe of what we were trying to achive at the game. Thought it was very well done, and well produced. OK so I have heard it all goes nuts for a number of seasons :) but I've been sold based on the first 2 eps. Maybe watching it all the way through fresh will avoid some of the 'wtf' why is nothing ever explained problems :)

the shutdown man

Okay, this week's ep makes me question last week's idea....

[spoiler]Maybe Sayid isn't Jacob after all. The Others don't seem too happy to see him alive. Or maybe it was Jacob's plan to possess him, but something went arseways. All very curious. And what's this about the same thing happening to Claire, who is now the new Rousseau? Cra-zeeee shit!

Apart from that, the Kate stuff wasn't particularly interesting. It just rememinded me that over the course of the whole season, I've never really liked Kate.[/spoiler]
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Van Dom

Anyone got any further insights following the latest ep? So the numbers are explained - sort of. Still don't havea clue what Fake Locke actually wants though...

Had to love Jeff Fahy's line "this is the weirdest show I've ever been to"!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Well it was great that they got Kate episode over with so early with as she just so bland.

I'm thinking that Fake Locke wants to leave the Island, but he is bound to it as long as Jacob or who ever the new guardian is there.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 22 February, 2010, 12:10:49 AM

I'm thinking that Fake Locke wants to leave the Island, but he is bound to it as long as Jacob or who ever the new guardian is there.

He did explain that.

Van Dom

So if the island has a protector, he has to stay. But if there is no protector he is free to leave? So he has to make sure that one way or another, none of Jacob's chosen ones takes on the job....which is why Richard told Sawyer he will try to kill everyone. ahhh...

So when he says the island doesn't need protecting from anyone and "the island" will be perfectly fine, protector or no, is it more a case that Jacob was a jailor - keeping Fake Locke (does that guy have a name anyway, the guy who took John's form?) imprisoned - in order to protect the rest of the world from him perhaps. Hmmmm....

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!