Main Menu

Lost: final season (starts on 5th Feb at 21:00 on SKY1)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 01 February, 2010, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

I'm really starting to wonder where they're going with the flash-sideways. Four episodes in and they don't seem to be telling any connected story like they have for the past couple of seasons, but rather they just seem to be more like the flashbacks of the earlier seasons, except just showing what might have been. I hope that's not all it is, as that would be a bit of a waste for the last season.

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Van Dom

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. It's all well and good saying "right, the bomb went off and the past was changed and things are different, and if the plane didn't crash here's what would have happened...." Some peoples lives are radically different (Hurley, Ben) some are exactly the same as last time (Kate, Locke)...but what exactly is the point? Because life is still going on back on the island as normal, and they are all still there...so the bomb didn't go off? Huh?

Obviously there's some kind of parallel universe thing going on here - in one universe the plane did crash, in the other, created by the bomb in the past, it didn't. But these worlds can't cross over. For a start, the one in which the plane didn't crash is in the past. So why are they going to waste a half of all the remaining 16 episodes showing us what everyone's life in the parallel universe ends up being? It can't be as simple as that surely. This could end up being the biggest cop-out in the history of tv cop outs...ie, the people on the island all die at the end, but hey, it doesn't matter, cos they are all still alive in the parallel universe and their lives all worked out fine....
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

the shutdown man

Quote from: Van Dom on 22 February, 2010, 09:17:14 AM
It can't be as simple as that surely. This could end up being the biggest cop-out in the history of tv cop outs...ie, the people on the island all die at the end, but hey, it doesn't matter, cos they are all still alive in the parallel universe and their lives all worked out fine....

I'm still hoping they won't go for the Dallas style ending, and they're usually smarter than that.  Just at the moment, I can't see what they're working towards. The story on the Island is great, but it just feels like half of each episode is being wasted.

Goaty

Locke episode was good, as more questions than before,

[spoiler]but Locke really dead moments was so sad... as feelings it so waste for Locke.... but like 2000AD characters kept come back! [/spoiler]

Van Dom

I'm wondering do we really have to use spoiler tags in here? I'm assuming most people would only be reading this thread after seeing the latest episode (and seems to be only a few of us interested anyway!)

Still though...[spoiler]What Goaty said about Locke's funeral - its exactly what I mean. It SHOULD be sad, because there is a definitive ending to that character. The Locke we have watched on screen for 5 odd years IS dead and buried now...but it doesn't really matter because there's an alternate version of him still alive in another dimension, with a new job as a substitute teacher, a fiancee....and a more positive outlook on life at long last...
It kinda takes away from the emotional impact of his death, if you know what I mean....
[/spoiler]
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

the shutdown man

Yeah, I'm going without spoilers here; With every post in spoilers it makes the thread damn near impossible to read, and I think we can assume that no-one reads the thread without watching the latest episode.

I'm wondering if Island Locke (as opposed to Evil Locke and Happy-Alternate Locke) is truly dead and gone. When Smokey Joe sees the kid (Jacob perhaps?), he says "Don't tell me what I can't do.", which was always one of Locke's phrases. Maybe they're hinting that there's something of Locke still alive in there.

Van Dom

Good point.
Did you see that "Last Supper" picture that was released at the start of the season. I just saw it today. Interesting, if it actually means something!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

the shutdown man

I hadn't, but now I had to go looking.... Interesting indeed.

Edit:

Actually, here's an interesting take on it (maybe too detailed, but hey, I got time to kill in work) : http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20334411_2,00.html

Tanky

Yay! A new Lost thread :D

Quote from: Van Dom on 22 February, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
Good point.
Did you see that "Last Supper" picture that was released at the start of the season. I just saw it today. Interesting, if it actually means something!

Yes! I really hope it is relevant - lovely imagery.

Quote from: the shutdown man on 22 February, 2010, 12:06:21 PM
When Smokey Joe sees the kid (Jacob perhaps?)

I think the kid is Aaron. Don't ask me how that works, I just have a feeling...

Credit to an old friend of the board, Mr C for this theory, but I think he's right. I think the whole parallel universe thing will end up being answered by Eloise and Faraday's journal. Remember that whole 'Desmond will be my constant' thing? I think he knew this would happen and he was trying to find a way to put things right. Sadly, I cleared out my fb inbox this morning and can't remember the whole theory. Arses!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Hopefully the Desmond parallel universe episode will go some way to explaining where these flash-sideways are heading. I do hope fully there not there just to show how better of worse each of there lives would be if they hadn't crashed.

Am I right in thinking that Faraday doesn't exist in this parallel universe then?

Van Dom

Not sure about that, we are only coming across characters bit by bit, like Ben turning up in the school at the end of ep 4.

What's kind of bugging me now is what happened to Penny and her dad etc. All of that stuff where Ben was against Widmore, is that all over and done with? At one stage they seemed to be building it up that it was Ben Vs. Widmore for the island but that didn't seem to anywhere. I always figured Widmore to be an important part of the island's history and what not but he's very conspicuous by his absence right now. And its kind of annoying seeing Ben's role reduced to nothing when he was the villain for so many seasons. Ah well, all will be revealed I s'pose.

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

the shutdown man

Quote from: Tanky on 22 February, 2010, 12:23:26 PM

I think the kid is Aaron. Don't ask me how that works, I just have a feeling...

I've heard other people saying that too. It may explain why Aaron is/will be so important.

The pickle with Widmore and Penny is that the versions of them that we're familiar with aren't on the Island. The only time we're seeing off the Island at the moment is in the parallel storyline, so if we see them at all, they won't be the ones we know.

Unless of course the writers pull a complete switch like last season, and change the story structure halfway through. It worked last time.

Goaty

Thought Flash-Sides was good, but as to the opening season, want to know how that Island was at bottom of sea, Richard won't help with the bomb if that happens!

Mardroid

I'm enjoying this series a lot.

By the way, I wonder if the start of this latest episode was an intentional homage to the Evil Dead films? You know, the steadicam* shots from 'the smoke-monster's' point of view even with those strange 'wah, wah' sound affects. Gave me a thrill anyway.

Incidentally, while past series backflashes did get on my nerves a bit, (I loved the way they twisted it around last series though) I'm actually enjoying the side-flashes of this series. And wotserface's Stephen Kingesque 'beyond death' prophesy "You succeeded," I have hopes that there will be some kind of link later.

And much as I'm not a fan of dead people being brought back too often, I wouldn't mind if Locke did come back in some way. He is one of my favourite characters, although I didn't always like what past series did with him. As long as it's done the right way.

* I think that's what they're called.

HOO-HAA

I gave up on this halfway through Season 3.

Season 4 was excellent and grabbed me right back in...

... only to be pulled right the hell out again with all that silliness walking around the jungle, while time jumping, in Season 5.

Season 6? Forget it.