Main Menu

Lost: final season (starts on 5th Feb at 21:00 on SKY1)

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 01 February, 2010, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Regarding my earlier worries that the flash-sideways were just filler, I did come across this quote from Lindelof which makes me feel slightly better: "There's a reason. You're supposed to be asking yourself the question of why are they showing me both shows. The fundamental mystery is what is the relationship between these two things."

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Van Dom

I don't know what the connection is but the appearance of Samurai guy in Jack's other life was very interesting and cant be coincidence.

Things are starting to pick up now, really getting into it.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Jim_Campbell

I'm really enjoying this -- I'm enjoying the way past stuff is swinging back in from orbits more elliptical than Haley's Comet to slam into the main plot. I'd completely forgotten that [spoiler]Claire is Jack's half-sister and that's why his Dad was in Australia in the first place.[/spoiler]

I'm loving the way that [spoiler]Claire has become the replacement for Rosseau[/spoiler] ... I'm not unconvinced by the theory that [spoiler]Said is now Jacob, simply because former torturer Said wouldn't be such a pussy about getting tortured if something else wasn't going on[/spoiler] ...

And, to be honest, I'm just enjoying the fact that there's a big chunk of high-budget, mainstream TV that expects me to dredge up trivia from the preceding five series and try to fit it into place in a massive revision of what we -- the viewers -- had previously figured was the continuity. Dammit, it's nice just to be made to think this much -- even if it lets us down in the end, I'm hard-pressed to think of another TV drama on this scale, with this profile that's asked so much of its viewers.

So ... even if they cop out in the end and Desmond wakes up and it was all a dream, I'll still put Lost down as the bravest failure in TV of the 00s by a long way. And I think they have a few surprises for us yet.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

Hey Jim, was your picture quality a bit shit this episode. It was for me but the stuff before and after was okay, weird!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 February, 2010, 12:56:12 AM
Hey Jim, was your picture quality a bit shit this episode. It was for me but the stuff before and after was okay, weird!

Admission time: although I pay for Sky (albiet through Virgin) I download the episodes from teh interwebs because it saves me the bother of taking the ads out! I had the latest episode as a 720p .mkv file and it looked fantastic.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

I think we're watching the ending unfold each week with the Flash-sideways that seem to be be both Flach-forwards & Flash-backs melded. The producers obviously felt they couldn't have whole episodes devoted to wrapping up all the character arcs at the very end, after we know all the important plot answers, so they've made them part of the current drama. So again they've changed the structure of the series to pack more story in, quite brave. I assume all this merges towards the end.

It's the only show where actors are playing multiple versions of themselves. Terry O'Quinn was playing 3 different variants of Locke, all different facets in one episode, and one is dead!, amazing.

I wonder are the people who are coming to the Island Widmore and Desmond?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 February, 2010, 04:08:14 PM

By the way, I wonder if the start of this latest episode was an intentional homage to the Evil Dead films? You know, the steadicam* shots from 'the smoke-monster's' point of view even with those strange 'wah, wah' sound affects. Gave me a thrill anyway.

That's been in the earliest seasons.

Radbacker

this is just getting arsom.  Did anyone else notice when Jack and Hurley were turning the Mirrors (i think it was how JAcob managed to travell into their lives in the past to effect them) to guide someone to the island there was definatly a flash of an ancient (though new) looking town/city (similar arcitecture to Egypt?) reflected oin it.  They had to show us that for some reason are we getting back to the islands origin? part of Atlantis? (running with the theory that Egyptian culture came from the fabled lost continent).  Is that why the islands special?

I'm absolutly loving this season, i download too but only because the local TV station insists on playing this show 11.30 at night (they obviously have better stuff to play prime time like poxy arse reality shows fuck the Australian general tv viewing public are fucken morons.  All the decent shows end up on late at night after the first seasons being played prime time).

Shannon will apparently be back in the last couple of episodes.

CU Radbacker

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Radbacker on 28 February, 2010, 02:30:52 AM
this is just getting arsom.  Did anyone else notice when Jack and Hurley were turning the Mirrors (i think it was how JAcob managed to travell into their lives in the past to effect them) to guide someone to the island there was definatly a flash of an ancient (though new) looking town/city (similar arcitecture to Egypt?) reflected oin it.  They had to show us that for some reason are we getting back to the islands origin? part of Atlantis? (running with the theory that Egyptian culture came from the fabled lost continent).  Is that why the islands special?

As far as I could make out the buildings in the mirror are: the church where young Sawyer met Jacob, the pagoda where the Kwons married and Jack's childhood home, no ancient buildings.

I don't think the island is exclusively Egyptian in origin since the Greek sign for Omega is on the temple wall. I think the island is made up of a conglomerate of cultural artifacts like the Village in the Prisoner.

Radbacker

AHHH, i Might just be getting carried away and seeing what i wanted to see, trying for some explaination of the Egyption heiroglyohics and stuff.  Will have to rewatch.  With what you were saying its obviously how Jacob was affecting the rest of the world.

CU Radbacker

Mardroid

Quote from: Garageman on 28 February, 2010, 01:55:14 AM
That's been in the earliest seasons.

We've seen the smoke billowing up. I'm talking about seeing things form the actual POV of the 'smoke'. (Never mind this, if that's what you meant. My memory of some of the earlier season stuff is hazy.)

the shutdown man

Anyone catch Claire's line about how she was told by her father and then her friend, who turns out to be Smocke? Is that an answer then that Christian is definitely not the black smoke? I suppose she may have been tricked, but she seems to recognise that Locke isn't the real Locke, as if she knows him. 

Goaty

Yeah I agree with you, The Shutdown Man, it possible to be two different persons, could that Christian be Jacob? or could be Christian back from dead?

Rememember Series 3, about the Jacob's House, there was black ash around the house, but you saw Smoke (US Forums and Wiki called Smoke Man in Black or MIB cos of he wear black clothes in last episode of last series...) around the island, so who is in the house? as Claire was with Christian there in Series 4, and Series 5 the new group from other plane arrives at the house, and notice the black ash been broken... mmmm!

I do wonder what is "Infection" and whose is someone bad coming to the Temple? Locke? or Ben? or Christian?

the shutdown man

I still reckon Christian is a mediator in all this. He doesn't seem to want the same things as the MIB. Also, as someone else pointed out to me, at one point in season 5, both Christian and MIB/Locke are on the Island at the same time, when Sun and Lapitus go to the Dharma huts and meet Christian while Locke is still back at the beach, so unless Locke ducked away from the beach without anyone noticing....

Of course the more theories I read on this, the more my head hurts. One suggestion is that the Christian in the hut with the ash circle wasn't being kept in, but rather was hiding in there from the black smoke, for reasons unknown.

the shutdown man

This week felt like maybe the flash-sideways was starting to go somewhere. With Jack cameoing at the hospital and Jin turning up in the freezer (what the hell, by the way), maybe their stories are somehow becoming connected again.

In a related topic, here's what Ben was doing back in 1992. I find it hard to believe this isn't a Dharma training video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgbKJWDxcE