Main Menu

desktop wallpaper

Started by mogzilla, 13 February, 2010, 10:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

done loads of times before but whats your current one? mines this little retro style dude from dark horse

Trout

A poster for The Princess and the Frog. I took my three-year-old daughter to see it the other day and I've never seen her happier. :-)

- Trout

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: King Trout on 13 February, 2010, 11:05:58 PM
A poster for The Princess and the Frog. I took my three-year-old daughter to see it the other day and I've never seen her happier.

Putting John Lasseter in charge of animation at Disney seems to be working out for them, then?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

All I know is it totally hypnotised my wee girl. I liked it, too. The music's especially good.

- Trout

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: King Trout on 14 February, 2010, 12:17:56 AM
All I know is it totally hypnotised my wee girl. I liked it, too. The music's especially good.

Well, that's enough of an endorsement for me. The trailers I've seen look really good.

In case you don't know the story, BTW, when Disney bought Pixar, they put John Lasseter in overall charge of their animation department. He's supposed to have taken all the middle managers out to dinner shortly after starting and told them "If you don't draw, you have no place here" and fired the lot of them. Shortly after that he decided it was time that Disney produced a new hand-drawn animation feature, this being The Princess and the Frog.

I have a lot of time for John Lasseter.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

And the difference in animation style is very obvious. It's still Disney, but there are definite moments of stylistic nostalgia there and, overall, the effect is far more organic than recent stuff.

I don't want to go analysing a Disney cartoon - and my apologies for the very early thread drift - but I really approved of the new (old) approach for this film. I'd not heard of Lasseter but I knew there was a return to the old ways for this one.

In particular, the 1920s setting and jazzy dance music numbers are amazing. My only mild criticism is they try to do a bit too much in a relatively-short film. There are a lot of characters.

Mama Odie was our favourite. :-)

- Trout

Jared Katooie

mygrimmbrother

Mine's a photo of a lovely lady (all tasteful of course)

Bolt-01

John Lasseter is a personal hero of mine. I knew that him being in charge was a good thing when I saw Bolt for the first time. When it finished my kids told me it was so good it was almost as good as Pixar. High praise indeed in my house.

uncle fester

A rather stonking version of Han and Chewie by Ashley Wood  :)

Tanky

mygrimmbrother

Wow Fester, that truly is a fantastic vision of Han & Chewie. Inspirational!

Goatilocks

Currently it's a photo of Lindsey Strutt, on all fours on her desk, looking for some paper clips, I'd imagine..

Dandontdare

All mine shows at the moment is a blue screen that tells me my computer is fucked.