Started by Cyberleader2000, 22 February, 2010, 01:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Quote from: HdE on 25 February, 2010, 04:20:41 PM
Quote from: johnnystress on 25 February, 2010, 08:32:09 AM
shame it's all ova

Bwahahahahaa!

And off the back of that, I gotta share this:

I was in a music store once, when a guy came in and asked for assistance sourcing a certain brand of guitar.

'Sure' said the assistant. What make is it you're after?

Now, I'm pretty sure the customer wanted an Ovation guitar, one of the fancy acoustics with the lyrachord plastic back-bowl. But what he said was: 'It's an Ovulation guitar I'm after.'

To which he assistant replied ' Erm, we're out of stock'

'When will you have them in again?' asked the punter.

'In about a month' Said the assistant, with a knowing smirk.
Ah, I love thread-drift.

I wish I'd been asked that question.  Ovulation guitars (or Ovation or whatever you want to call them) were the one brand I struggled to make sales on.  Hated them.  Happily they sold themselves.  I want to hear WOOD from an acoustic guitar, none of your fancy nancy plastic.  Uncomfortable too.  Hate bowl-backs.

Oddly I love the confluence of baked beans and runny fried egg yolk.  Mmmmmmm.  Perfect to dip your sausage in.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 26 February, 2010, 02:10:34 PM

Oddly I love the confluence of baked beans and runny fried egg yolk.  Mmmmmmm.  Perfect to dip your sausage in.

Get a room sausage dipper!
DDT did a job on me

HdE

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 26 February, 2010, 02:10:34 PM
  Ovulation guitars (or Ovation or whatever you want to call them) were the one brand I struggled to make sales on.  Hated them.  Happily they sold themselves.  I want to hear WOOD from an acoustic guitar, none of your fancy nancy plastic.  Uncomfortable too.  Hate bowl-backs.

Yeah. Strange beasts. Nobody really made better use of their unique properties than Alex Lifeson on the Rush Album 'Hold Your Fire'.

Wouldn't surprise me if at least one of those crazy canuck boys was a closet comics fan!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mike Gloady

I don't understand it myself, but the folks who were interested in them didn't need ANY selling or even to be told about them, they'd already done their homework and were there to BUY IT NOW HURRY UP YOU LONG-HAIRED TWIT.  Which I did. 

I've since cut my hair by the way.  I'm 35 and long hair is like slogan t-shirts, something I think I'm way too old for. 

HdE

I owned a bowlback for a while. It was a studio friendly guitar, no question about it. No pops, squeaks or microphony. But I never kept the thing. It had one of those V-shaped necks that are designed with perpetual discomfort in mind.

I really ought to get back to music...

Mike Gloady

V necks are the bane of my life.  You see something that looks fun, sounds nice when someone else is playing it and... DAMNIT I can't play it because of the neck.  Hate them.

Studio friendly to be sure, but really not player friendly.  I'd rather mess about with pick ups or mics any day.  Especially for the rounder fellow.  Not at ALL comfortable for those guys.  Not that *I* would know, you understand.

COMMANDO FORCES

Mike Gloady

Cheeses, sun of Cod!

Slap yourself in the cheek for me, CF?  Ta.

HdE

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 27 February, 2010, 03:17:44 PM
V necks are the bane of my life.  You see something that looks fun, sounds nice when someone else is playing it and... DAMNIT I can't play it because of the neck.  Hate them.

Studio friendly to be sure, but really not player friendly.  I'd rather mess about with pick ups or mics any day.  Especially for the rounder fellow.  Not at ALL comfortable for those guys.  Not that *I* would know, you understand.

I'd heartily agree. I think it says a lot that I ditched my cheapo knock-off bowlback for one of those Yamaha APX jobbies. The neck profile was much more comfortable, the performance was more or less on a par with the bowlback, nice preamp and the whole thing felt very reassuring. It did need a tonne of set-up work though.

That's kind of why I went back to my B-plan of comics and design. There's so much less faffing around!

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: House of Usher on 27 February, 2010, 06:31:01 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 February, 2010, 03:22:08 PM
I have been known to wear a polo neck in the past ;)

I haven't.

It was in Norway as it does get a wee bit cold there on winter deployment. I must add that it was hidden under my smock ;)

staticgirl

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 27 February, 2010, 04:10:51 AM

I've since cut my hair by the way.  I'm 35 and long hair is like slogan t-shirts, something I think I'm way too old for. 

Well I'm 37, I have two shades of purple in my hair and I am wearing an AXECOP T-shirt which says - FREEZE OR I'LL CHOP YOUR HEAD OFF! 

And I think I look rather fantastic today, actually. :)

Mike Gloady

I'm not saying it's for everyone.  Good for you, but for ME - I just can't carry it off anymore.  So I've had to regretfully put it all behind me.  Too wrinkly and grey.

Oh yes, it's tweed and leather elbow patches for me from now on.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 27 February, 2010, 03:17:44 PM

I cant play any guitar or i cant play chords as i have got short fingers that are not dextrous enough to do all those contortions that guitarists do when they play chords.

You look at good guitarists and you will see that they all have long fingers.I learnt to play drums instead as i was or still am a bit mental and drumming involved hitting things which was more appealing.

It does really piss me off that a Fender Stratocaster is no longer made in the US.They are made in China instead so i would rather buy a secondhand made in the US Fender instead of A Chinese made guitar as i refuse to buy anything made in China.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

uncle fester

Johnny Marr of The Smiths had really small, stumpy hands, he said it was what made him find lots of interesting chords as he couldn't play like the alleged 'greats'.

Fender do still make guitars in America. They also have bases in Japan and Mexico. Outside of the Custom Shop (US), the new Japanese models are generally of a better quality than the new American ones. The only discernable difference is when you get to the range that were built before the company was bought out. And I certainly can't afford one of those (Though it is on the list). The Mexican ones are made from cheaper timber and make up the 'starter' end of their range, (Although it makes precious little difference unless you've got a monster set up around you, as I've find out over the years).

I'll stop now.