Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Might have been this one in the Independent? It is a horrible read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tiananmen-square-massacre-death-toll-secret-cable-british-ambassador-1989-alan-donald-a8126461.html

I've met people from China who literally don't believe this happened.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Yeah. That's the one. It might have been a different article, but using the same ambassador's account.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 June, 2021, 11:50:19 AM
Might have been this one in the Independent? It is a horrible read.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tiananmen-square-massacre-death-toll-secret-cable-british-ambassador-1989-alan-donald-a8126461.html

I've met people from China who literally don't believe this happened.

Me too.  I lived a few minutes' walk from Tiananmen Square when I was in China - For all its giant screens showing Chinese society in all its glory, it's a miserable, concrete waste of space where a nice green park would be a lot nicer.  Or even proper housing for the people who live in the nearby slum streets.

One local IT guy I taught asked me in a conspiratorial voice if I'd heard about the massacre.  While I told him I had, I didn't have the heart to tell him that pretty much everyone outside China had heard of it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Merkel turning up to G7 in a Red Shirt cosplay might have been a poor call.

The Legendary Shark

A message to the PM, MPs send No.10 the Balfour Project call for the strict application of international law, including via the ICC, in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Well, the US can take all its bragging rights about freedom and democracy and stick them up its flabby great arse.

Obviously it's no major surprise, but any attempts to prevent the less popular party stopping people voting against it have failed. When only the right people are allowed to vote in certain states, those states aren't really small-D democratic states at all, are they?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Ah. I see we've reached 'checks notes' the "Antivaxxers comparing themselves to Rosa Parks" stage of the pseudoscience dystopia...

Somewhere Andrew Wakefield is polishing his monkeys paw smugly.

The Legendary Shark

Given that contradictory evidence and counterarguments are currently forbidden, that's not the worst comparison I've ever encountered.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 July, 2021, 10:08:05 AM
that's not the worst comparison I've ever encountered.

If Rosa Parks had been protesting her right to get on a bus with a highly contagious disease and infect every fucker on there, the comparison might be apt. Otherwise, GTFO.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Excellent illustration of my point. Thanks, Jim.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

To clarify, yet again: This board and especially this thread is extremely tolerant of varied viewpoints, arguably to a fault. What we do not—and will not—tolerate is antivaxx rubbish, especially in the middle of a pandemic.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 July, 2021, 08:51:23 PM
Ah. I see we've reached 'checks notes' the "Antivaxxers comparing themselves to Rosa Parks" stage of the pseudoscience dystopia...

This brought up some interesting points for me:

1. Rosa Parks is often historically misunderstood as being a quiet person who had finally had enough and made a sudden stand against oppression - but was actually a long-term activist against racial oppression.

2. White (pro-virus) conspiracy theorists have been ridiculously comparing themselves to Parks for about a year or so now - I assume to get publicity (which works, of course). Her freedoms were curtailed due to the color of her skin, as opposed to people being (in most cases, asked nicely) to conform to regulations during a public health emergency. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that was a valid equation. Still: no shortage of those in the world.

3. See also: pro-virus tw*ts wearing Jewish stars to compare themselves to victims of the Nazi holocaust. No shame, no brain.

4. There's some perverse solace in that the virus outbreaks in the US are now centered on pro-virus (also: Republican) states. Mass Darwin Awards. Why have people started wedding their medical thinking to their political affiliation and not questioning their own internal logic?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

And so I'm back to "no comment" as  the only acceptable comment I can make at this point. I've seen this movie and recognise Chief Brody slopping chum into the water when I see him. Don't want no more barrels in my hide...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]