Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 September, 2019, 11:04:13 AM
More like TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SHIT  then?

I really liked this at the cinema but it does come with a serious health warning. I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the TV series say that they enjoyed it. There are clearly problems with it.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 September, 2019, 11:16:39 AM
Fortunately, the original BBC Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy with the irreplaceable Alec Guinness just got a blu-ray release, so thats reminded me to nab that masterpiece!

BBC have also announced Edge Of Darkness on Blu-Ray as well, so I think I shall add both to my Christmas list.

Just great TV.

wedgeski

Quote from: CalHab on 23 September, 2019, 12:40:06 PM

I really liked this at the cinema but it does come with a serious health warning. I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the TV series say that they enjoyed it. There are clearly problems with it.
I would like to break that duck for you. Neither read nor seen the BBC version, but I'm riveted by every second of the film.

TordelBack

Quote from: CalHab on 23 September, 2019, 12:40:06 PM

Yup, I tried to put my (fairly distant) memories of the TV series aside watching it, and while I thought it did a good job of making the plot clear, I felt that it ended up being a character-driven thriller that lacked the requisite characters, largely due to its compression into 2 hours rather than any fault in the performances. There's no real surprise in [spoiler]Haydon being the Kim Philby stand-in[/spoiler], because he's essentially the only mole-candidate who gets to do anything, or have any real relationships with the other characters. Even so has to more-or-less talk directly to the audience at the end to tell us what his supposed motivations are, and we don't even have any basis to judge whether he's telling the truth.

Being a bit more charitable, there is an interesting hint ([spoiler]in this version) that Smiley orchestrated his and Control's removal so that he could be placed outside the leaky Circus in order to winkle out the mole, embarrass his rivals and then ascend to command.  His awareness of Karla's identification of his own weakness concerning Ann may given him the clues as far back as the Christmas Party, and he's playing a sort of treble-bluff around Prideaux's capture, but I really had to scrabble around to come up with that.
[/spoiler]

Theblazeuk

Quote from: wedgeski on 23 September, 2019, 02:14:12 PM
[I really liked this at the cinema but it does come with a serious health warning. I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the TV series say that they enjoyed it. There are clearly problems with it.
I would like to break that duck for you. Neither read nor seen the BBC version, but I'm riveted by every second of the film.
[/quote]

Ditto, though recognise the flaws previously highlighted.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2019, 12:02:09 PM
The Princess Bride.  Nah, apparently I've not become as not as cynical as I feared, because this was still absolutely ace.  Everyone here enjoyed every bit of it, yet again, and there isn't a dud line or a flabby performance in the thing; every relationship is believable, every motivation clear.

Good news, everybody!  In case you've missed it, they are working on a remake (more technically accurate, a new adaptation of the book).

Bolt-01

Sheridan - how on earth could that be considered good news? The mere thought is incontheiveable!

The Princess Bride is a film that should not be messed with.

broodblik

Bolt is correct. Why remake Princess Bride ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2019, 02:09:01 PM
Why remake Princess Bride ?

Hollywood's general creative bankruptcy?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dark Jimbo

Well, yes, but a new adaptation of the book is not quite the same thing.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

I think he was being sarcastic. And like Prof. Farnsworth, good news is never that.

It will be billed as a remake - same as DREDD.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Okay I've never watched Princess Bride because the premise - a fairytale romcom -just didn't appeal.

However, given the lavish praise I've read about it here, I decided I must give it a go.

I lasted halfway. Hammy acting, cheap effects and I really didn't care one iota about any of these unrealistic cardboard characters. I felt like the kid at the start: "is this a kissy book? When's it gonna get good?", but unlike him, I was not won over.

I guess that's the problem with "cult" movies - if you're not part of the cult, they're just crap.

Princess Shite more like

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2019, 08:24:43 PM
Okay I've never watched Princess Bride because the premise - a fairytale romcom -just didn't appeal.

However, given the lavish praise I've read about it here, I decided I must give it a go.

I lasted halfway. Hammy acting, cheap effects and I really didn't care one iota about any of these unrealistic cardboard characters. I felt like the kid at the start: "is this a kissy book? When's it gonna get good?", but unlike him, I was not won over.

I guess that's the problem with "cult" movies - if you're not part of the cult, they're just crap.

Princess Shite more like

S'right
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

I would not say such things if I were you! All these years and I've never used the Block function... and now twice in one day.

The Legendary Shark

My name is Inigo Montoya, you dissed my film, prepare to die!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]