Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus P Artichoke

Love commando but the man that steals the show for me is Vernon Wells as Bennett

He gives a great performance and looks like Freddie Mercury pumped up on steroids, superb stuff
We'll give them back their heroes

Rara Avis

I didn't hate it, it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours that scene where [spoiler]the ship loses gravity while she's swimming was pretty awesome[/spoiler] but it is short on story. Do you remember that story way back in 2000AD with a similar story line but the caretakers stay awake and they have a kid who goes crazy? I would have preferred that ending.

[/quote]
Speaking of films that don't bother putting in any effort and cruise by on tropes that have been staples of sci-fi for decades, Passengers is not a bad film, but only because "bad" and "lazy" are not the same thing.  A plot familiar to anyone who's watched a tv show with spaceships in it that was made since the 1990s - seriously, I couldn't think of one that hasn't rehashed the "sleeping crew and lone character who is awake goes a bit mad on their own and the other person deffo isn't in their imagination, honest" storyline at some point - there's even a bit where Lister wakes up from stasis and some Skutters go skidding past him in the hall, etc etc.
If plot is something you like, or character arcs that actually get resolved before the film ends, this might not be for you, but if good performances are something that can carry a film for you, this might pass a couple of hours.
[/quote]

Rara Avis

I never watched the TV show so I had no expectations but I turned this off halfway  .... and I'll watch anything when I'm hungover.

Well there you go .. as long as the films make money he'll keep getting work ...

[/quote]

Yeah no one liked the Last Airbender film but boxofficemojo has it down as making $319.7 million Worldwide on a $150 million budget so even that didnt manage a loss so it appears people always turn out with their money for Shyamalan.
[/quote]

Frank

THERE WILL BE KETCHUP

I saw Hacksaw Ridge, which I really enjoyed, but no way is it an Oscar contender. Agent Smith's pun about offal signals Gibson's sniggering tone, and the hero playing hacky sack with live grenades is worthy of the other director called Mel.

Casting Vince Vaughan * in the R Lee Ermey role telegraphs to the viewer that this is intentionally funny, and Garfield Simple Jacks it up while remembering to stop just shy of full r_____.

Almost as funny is The Founder (2016), which is playing in a cinema near you - but only on one screen, and it'll be gone by next week. Mysteriously, this drama about how McDonalds stole McDonalds from McDonalds is having trouble getting distribution.

You can see why Keaton took the part; it's like Wolf Of Wall Street but with junk food instead of junk bonds and his character has at least two YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH speeches that make the words FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION flash along the bottom of the screen.

The happy meal direction peaks with the visualisation of the McDonald brothers devising their meticulously choreographed ballet of carbohydrates and ergonomics, but you've got to admire the chutzpah of casting the actual Zodiac killer as the nicest man on Earth.

* Looking like he took full advantage of the buffet laid on by craft services

Tiplodocus

Was reading an old diary entry from back in 1996 and came across SAVAGE NIGHTS*, a french film.

My mate noted "That was rubbish. It was a pity that the lead girl** had such nice breasts otherwise we'd have stopped watching it much earlier"

* Obviously now it would be reviewed with "More like Savage SHITES".

** I think this would be Romaine Bohringer.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheldipez

Quote from: Frank on 06 February, 2017, 07:05:20 PM

THERE WILL BE KETCHUP

You can see why Keaton took the part; it's like Wolf Of Wall Street but with junk food instead of junk bonds and his character has at least two YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH speeches that make the words FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION flash along the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for the heads up on this one - first time I had heard of this - added to my watchlist immediately.  :thumbsup:

Keef Monkey

Went to Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in IMAX 3D at the Science Center last night, so my life goal of seeing Milla Jovovich on the largest screen in the country can now be checked off.

Really enjoyed it, but then I've always enjoyed the RE movies. They're trashy but when trashy is what you're in the mood for they really, really hit the spot. Wish we'd got seats further back though, have always found fast moving, quick-cutting action never reads very well on an IMAX screen and just ends up quite disorientating, and this is a movie that's pretty much wall to wall fast moving action. Like, it really is quite impressive that it doesn't really let up for more than a moment here and there.

It won't be for everyone, but if you liked the other movies (I did), or if Milla is your lifelong movie crush (also guilty) then you'll definitely like this one.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 February, 2017, 11:26:29 PM

Indeed it would - the then-worringly-18 year-old daughter of Richard, the eponymous first party from "The Cook, the Thief...Etc", and infamously (allegedly) named after Roman Polanski,   Savage Nights is from the very end of my very long "if it's French it must be good" phase, when after systematically working through the entire International section of Laser Video in Rathmines and chain-watching anything with subtitles in the Irish Film Centre  I finally had to admit to myself that it was the near-certainty of nudity I was actually appreciating, because in 3 out of 4 cases there was nothing else. Savage Nights may well represent the exact moment of that personal revelation.

dweezil2

Split, or a two hour trailer for another movie.
Solid performances from the cast and an enjoyably tense first half, let down by a slack second and a twist, in what seemingly intends to become a Shyamalan shared universe franchise, which just wasn't worth the wait.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 February, 2017, 10:48:00 AM
Savage Nights may well represent the exact moment of that personal revelation.
I was all set to castigate this lazy translation of Les Nuits Sauvages. Luckily, I bothered to check it first and it's now clear that you pair only went to see this because it was (partly) named after Grant Morrison's band: Les Nuits Fauves.

And the tits.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: I, Cosh on 07 February, 2017, 05:14:09 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 07 February, 2017, 10:48:00 AM
Savage Nights may well represent the exact moment of that personal revelation.
I was all set to castigate this lazy translation of Les Nuits Sauvages. Luckily, I bothered to check it first and it's now clear that you pair only went to see this because it was (partly) named after Grant Morrison's band: Les Nuits Fauves.

And the tits.

That's why I love this place.

Even when we're being sexist we can sound intellectual.

dweezil2

Was reading an old diary entry from back in 1996 and came across SAVAGE NIGHTS*, a french film.

My mate noted "That was rubbish. It was a pity that the lead girl** had such nice breasts otherwise we'd have stopped watching it much earlier"

* Obviously now it would be reviewed with "More like Savage SHITES".

Maybe Savage Tits would of been a more apt title?  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Satanist

Sounds about right for Tordels, Tips and Cosh  :lol:

I am ofcourse joking as I haven't met Tordels so don't know if that title fits him.  ;)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: Satanist on 08 February, 2017, 03:36:27 PM
I am ofcourse joking as I haven't met Tordels so don't know if that title fits him.  ;)

I'd be flattered to be so considered.

Tiplodocus

I'm definitely not savage.