Main Menu

Edinburgh in a Day...

Started by radiator, 30 May, 2013, 12:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

So I'll be in Edinburgh for a day and a night next month. Never been to Scotland before, and I know there's lots of Scotch folk on this board. Any must-see, must-do things? Pubs/restaurants/interesting stuff a little off the beaten path?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Proudhuff

Edinburgh is really a small town in size so you can walk almost everywhere and just wandering around the centre Old Town /New Town is recommended

It sounds a bit cheezy but the tour buses are good value, the Castle is expensive but a must see too. it all depends on what you fancy, there are Rebus tours and the Literary Pub crawl is good, one of my mates used to be one of the players. The Mary King's Close should be done too, there are other scarey tours but I've never done them, as to off the beaten track a wee trip doon Leith Walk gives you a colourful trip into the other side of the Toon.
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

I had a lads weekend in Edinburgh last December. It was my first time there and I'd definitely go back.
Lovely, lovely city.

We started off a hearty session with a visit to a brilliant little pub called 'The Conan Doyle'.

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theconandoyleedinburgh/

Superb pub grub & ale...I didn't want to leave it!
Rest of the day / night was a total blur though.

Dog Deever

Don't use the tram- it's bollocks!
:lol:
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

mogzilla

we've been twice once for the honeymoon... we didn't actually go in the castle cos of the price but we did console our ...(well me)selves with the whisky tour I heartily recommend that if you like the good shtufff (hic)

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
I know there's lots of Scotch folk on this board. Any must-see, must-do things? Pubs/restaurants/interesting stuff a little off the beaten path? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Don't call anyone you meet Scotch, pack an anorak, and if you take up Proudhuff's suggestion of a stroll through Leith, make sure you do so before the sun starts to go down.

My pal visited a Mongolian buffet in Leith which he hasn't shut up about since; Camera Obscura isn't just the name of the folk who recorded French Navy; and we spent a fucking fortune holding onto Diana and Actaeon so day-trippers could file past it wearing tour headphones and eating an over-priced baguette, so you might as well. I'm sure your girlfriend would enjoy being taken up Arthur's Seat, which - unlike most things in the capital - won't cost you a thing. Don't go near the Parliament building in Holyrood though; it's shite.

Buttonman

A shit hole. Best bit, apart from The Burke and Hare, is the M8 westbound.

shaolin_monkey

Start at Edinburgh Castle, at the top of the Royal Mile, and gradually work your way down. Just down from the castle is the Camera Obscura.  It is cracking if you love visual jiggery pokery.  Opposite is the Whisky Museum, which I thought was a good laugh - a kind of tram ride through the history of making scotch.

Keep going down, and look out for guided tours of the Undercity (troggs and all!) - the Mile has been built over so many times there's an actual town underground where people used to live, which many claim is haunted by various spooks and ghouls.  It's eerie as hell, and well worth a look.

St Giles Cathedral is quite impresive, which is not far from those guided tours.  Don't forget to spit on the Heart of Midlothian!

I forgot what else there is to see (Museum of Childhood, John Knox's House, pubs, restaraunts, shitloads of tourist shops etc etc), but work your way down, and finally have a look around Holyrood Palace at the bottom.  It's a very impressive place, and filled with all kinds of grisly history, mostly invloving murders and assassinations etc.  To the right of that you'll see some crags - that's Arthur's Seat, and is a lovely place to go for a stroll, weather permitting.

The Royal Mile should keep you going all day - there's plenty to do and see, and it's all on one main street directly down from Edinburgh Castle.

One final thing - make sure you get a bag of chips with the Edinburgh classic Salt n Sauce (instead of salt n vinegar).  I often get homesick 'cos I can't figure out where to get that sauce in Cardiff!!

Enjoy!   :D

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
I know there's lots of Scotch folk on this board.

Oh, and it's Scottish folk.  Scotch is a drink, dontcha know.   ;)

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 May, 2013, 05:58:05 PM
make sure you get a bag of chips with the Edinburgh classic Salt n Sauce (instead of salt n vinegar).  I often get homesick 'cos I can't figure out where to get that sauce in Cardiff!!

My local insist it's just brown sauce mixed with vinegar; making the whole West Coast/East Coast Vinegar/Sauce thing a load of nonsense. Should we pretend everyone eats deep fried mars bars all the time, and try to make radiator ask for one while he's here? Apparently some chippies actually have them on the menu, now so many tourists think it's real.

Sideshow Bob

Start at Edinburgh Castle, at the top of the Royal Mile, and gradually work your way down. Just down from the castle is the Camera Obscura.  It is cracking if you love visual jiggery pokery.  Opposite is the Whisky Museum, which I thought was a good laugh - a kind of tram ride through the history of making scotch.

Keep going down, and look out for guided tours of the Undercity (troggs and all!) - the Mile has been built over so many times there's an actual town underground where people used to live, which many claim is haunted by various spooks and ghouls.  It's eerie as hell, and well worth a look.

St Giles Cathedral is quite impresive, which is not far from those guided tours.  Don't forget to spit on the Heart of Midlothian!

I forgot what else there is to see (Museum of Childhood, John Knox's House, pubs, restaraunts, shitloads of tourist shops etc etc), but work your way down, and finally have a look around Holyrood Palace at the bottom.  It's a very impressive place, and filled with all kinds of grisly history, mostly invloving murders and assassinations etc.  To the right of that you'll see some crags - that's Arthur's Seat, and is a lovely place to go for a stroll, weather permitting.

The Royal Mile should keep you going all day - there's plenty to do and see, and it's all on one main street directly down from Edinburgh Castle.

One final thing - make sure you get a bag of chips with the Edinburgh classic Salt n Sauce (instead of salt n vinegar).  I often get homesick 'cos I can't figure out where to get that sauce in Cardiff!!

Enjoy!   :D

If I  was advising anyone on what to do in Edinburgh  for a Day and a Night,  I would agree with what Shaolin Monkey says.....He's pretty much covered it in the best way,  working down from top of The Mile....Try and fit in 'Mary Kings Close' tour...and you'll see part of the old underground city that has been built over......Other than making sure you don't call us 'Scotch' ( you can buy us one though ), you'll find plenty of good pubs ( mentioned in other posts ) and plenty of good restuarants...If you go to The Grassmarket...( it's not far....a taxi will cost about £4 - 5 or you can walk ), there are loads of pubs in a large square.... I'd recommend the Mussel and Steak bar, and if you go there and have Chips with your steak or surf......They will offer you a choice of having them done in sunflower oil or beef dripping....If you're not a 'veggie',  take the beef dripping option for great chips.....  I'm sure you'll have a great time...Enjoy !!
Ps : Do 'plan' on it being raining though   :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 May, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
A shit hole. Best bit, apart from The Burke and Hare, is the M8 westbound.
Not fare...but funny!

Has anyone mentioned Mary Kings Close? Do that...go there. It's a tour of auld Reekie's 'undercity' and will, or should, set anybody straight about how good we have it in western society. It's an astonishing trip in to the past. It made me realise electric light, fresh water, clean air...room, a room of your own...makes our standard every day shitty existence that of millionaires compared to city dwellers of only a few hundred years ago.

I believe this is the link...http://www.realmarykingsclose.com
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

von Boom

My wife and I loved Edinburgh and keep meaning to get back.

In addition to what shaolin and Sideshow have to offer; if you like something a bit more physical and you have the time climb to the top of Arthur's seat. The view is spectacular.

Also one of the best pubs I've ever been to is The Cloisters at 26 Brougham St. Stop in for a couple of quiet pints in the afternoon (maybe after climbing Arthur's Seat), or a noisy one in the evening. Go somewhere else for a meal though, they're about the beer, not the food.

According to the staff Dylan Moran stops in for pints here quite often.

Just thinking about it is making me thirsty for one of thep

M.I.K.

...and if you're looking for interesting comicy stuff - roughly half-way between The Museum of Childhood and Holyrood Palace, you will find on the left a shop called The Old Childrens Bookshelf. Never has any 2000ad stuff, but there are usually some old '70s war comics, girls comics, original '50s/60s Eagles and various Dandys, Beanos, Toppers and the like, (weeklys and annuals). They seem to know exactly how much everything's worth though, so don't go in expecting amazing bargains. I've gotten old issues of Nutty there a few times for about a quid each.

Sideshow Bob

Ps : If you do go to the Grassmarket area for grub and a pint......You'll find that Forbidden Planet is only about a good 5 minutes walk away.....and there are some nice / slightly different shops ( for your lady ) on the way there if you go up the hill from the Mussel and Steak bar....
Cheers.. :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890