Main Menu

Edinburgh in a Day...

Started by radiator, 30 May, 2013, 12:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Another vote here for Mary King's Close. It's pretty creepy and a good story. I also quite liked Camera Obscura.

But don't eat any chips. Chips in Edinburgh are shit. The only thing place with worse chips is Glasgow. Barf.

Dog Deever

Buttonman-  I think that map delineating the North/East/ West cultural divisions surrounding the consumption of chips and the availability of soap is needed!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Trout

Quote from: Dog Deever on 31 May, 2013, 01:30:21 AM
Buttonman-  I think that map delineating the North/East/ West cultural divisions surrounding the consumption of chips and the availability of soap is needed!

No, we need a map of the world with Dundee at its centre.  :lol:

I, Cosh

Quote from: Trout on 31 May, 2013, 01:34:02 AM
Make it a globe and you'd get fewer complaints.
We never really die.

Trout

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 May, 2013, 01:41:27 AM
Quote from: Trout on 31 May, 2013, 01:34:02 AM
Make it a globe and you'd get fewer complaints.

Ah, that Glasgow humour. If only you put the same effort into your chips!  ;)

This thread was about something else before, wasn't it?

Richmond Clements

I can get from the bus station to Proudhuff's and then to Forbidden Planet and then that bar up the hill and turn left that we went to... And that's really all I need to know!

Proudhuff

But Rich, we only have one bathroom...

Rad,  It all depends on who you're with and why you're here, we get a loat of hen/stags, romantic couples and conference crowds so its different strokes, (especailly if you go to the Burke and Hare with Butt'man)

I'd say that a quick deek at this, it will stand you in good stead:

We use it for holidays in Scotland and haven't been let down yet.

Ps the chips especially on the Royal Mile are shite, you have to go to North Berwick for decent ones
DDT did a job on me

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 May, 2013, 10:08:42 AM
Ps the chips especially on the Royal Mile are shite, you have to go to North Berwick for decent ones

The ones in Ben Hur fish bar in Roseburn beat North Berwick chips any day!!

Richmond Clements

QuoteBut Rich, we only have one bathroom...

*shudder* don't remind me... way to open old wounds, man!

von Boom

If you're going to be on the Royal Mile there's a great Kurdish/Middle Eastern restaurant on Johnston Terrace, Hanam's, just near the castle. The food was really great.

radiator

Thanks for the advice chums.

I'll be in Edinburgh tomorrow - looking forward to it, sounds like there's plenty to do.

Has anyone been to a restaurant called The Witchery? We might be going there - looks a bit pricey, though. Worth it?

Intrigued by this chips business. Bit skeptical though. You can't beat pickled onion vinegar and salt as far as I'm concerned.

Well aware of the Scotch thing - just amuses me how much it seems to annoy you people! Wouldn't say it out loud of course!  ;)

I'll be sure to bring an umbrella.

Buttonman

Witchery! Get the big spender on here! You could get a Complete Zenith for your plate of scran in there.

I was over in Embro at the weekend = £5 for a king rib supper that was drenched in HP sauce to disguise the crappy over crisp chips.

I ,of course, ate the lot. But I didn't enjoy it.

The American Candy store across from the Rose Street Travellodge has shut too - I was wanting Tamales!

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 01 July, 2013, 07:49:19 PMHas anyone been to a restaurant called The Witchery? We might be going there - looks a bit pricey, though. Worth it?
Never been to it myself. It does have a decent name but, last time I looked, the website was full of typos which put me right off. This seems to have been sorted now though.

In roughly the same area and ballpark, I would unreservedly recommend Ondine for anyone who likes fish.

As for pubs, I think you've got a few recommendations, but Sandy Bells (proper pub; folk music), Cafe Royal (marble; oysters), Bow Bar (proper pub; ale), City Cafe (nice place; pool; young people) and the Waverley Bar (proper pub; cranky service) are all over that side of town and worth a look.

Wouldn't pay the money to get into the Castle myself but Camera Obscura should be good. Make sure you try Deadhead comics too. Sadly it no longer has the crazy dog running around but you sometimes get free drink!
We never really die.

Dog Deever

QuoteIt does have a decent name but, last time I looked, the website was full of typos which put me right off. This seems to have been sorted now though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

god, I've missed this board.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Proudhuff

Quote from: radiator on 30 May, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
So I'll be in Edinburgh for a day and a night next month. Never been to Scotland before, and I know there's lots of Scotch folk on this board. Any must-see, must-do things? Pubs/restaurants/interesting stuff a little off the beaten path?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

How did it go?

DDT did a job on me