Main Menu

Black Jesus

Started by Professor Bear, 09 August, 2014, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Adult Swim make a play for some cheap PR by combining racial stereotypes and blasphemy in one package, as the Son of God returns to South LA in new series Black Jesus, that's already been decried by internet asshole hangout One Million Moms for Reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWtY30WfVg

The first episode is available on the web and the humor is surprisingly gentle for Adult Swim programming, though reliably obvious in places.  It isn't very offensive beyond the central premise (if you're even offended by that), and Jesus comes off as likeable and not a spiteful snob like he is in the Bible.  The show feels like a throwback to mid-90s gang movies and is probably the first time in at least 15 years that poor black LA residents have appeared on tv screens as anything other than Persons Of Interest in glossy cop shows or Heart-Throbs From The Wrong Side Of The Tracks in teen dramas.

Hawkmumbler

Being offended at the concept of Jesus being a POC is like being offended at the sky being blue. Because it's certainly true.

ThryllSeekyr

I think they've gone too far this time, but it is interesting to see portrayed a lot closer to how he may really have if he did ever exist at all.

Grugz

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 August, 2014, 09:05:23 PM
if he did ever exist at all.

burn the heretic!

if he was from Israel I assume he'd look middle eastern.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

ThryllSeekyr

That might be true....

I have a Redguard-Templar character, called Hesus (Which is sometimes pronounced as Jesus!) Chreast (Which is almost Christ!).

Despite their predominantly darker complexions. I still went with hiving him having bronzed coloured skin.

He looks a lot like this fellow.

Redneck Jesus

Yet, I agree he's been poorly misleading most people into thinking he's a white-bread-man after I've seen him portrayed by the fellow above, by William Dafoe and Jim Caviezel and in South Park.

This incarnation might be considered to be too dark, but I guess that balances out.

Making him a bad ass  for all it's humour makes a lot of sense to me as well.

I'd be kind of pissed off to find I been nailed to the cross for the sins of others and we'll still sinning when I'm resurrected 1986 years later. Assuming he was in his 30s when the roman's put him up there.

Is it true that the actual descendants of Christ, became a secret order of Templars that still exis to this day. I think that was one of the thing about the Da Vinci Code

I doesn't immediately say anything, but I'm sure they were going on about this in the film.

The thing about these knights is that they were predominantly Roman, which gives me some funny new ideas and theories about the real Jesus.

What if the Earth Mother were to send Slaine forward in time to save Jesus from his fate which snatching the Spear of Destiny to add to their hoard of treasures.

Both of them travel back to ancient Tir-Nan-Og where Slaine and Jesus become the first gay couple and live happily ever after.

ThryllSeekyr

That Madonna video I just linked above had nothing to do with [b
Jesus[/b]
or atleast not much to do with. I thought the Patron Saint of Mixed-Race-People was supposed to be the first dark skinned Jesus[/b] to be used in music video.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Priory_of_Sion_Logo.png]/img]

That group of people who I said might have been distant relatives of Jesus are known as the Priory of Sion. Who are supposed to be more French. The Knights-Templar are supposed to be their muscle and I'm really otherwise unsure of how ell connected they are to the son of god. 

How boring it would be to live the life of a honest to god saint or is it?

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 August, 2014, 05:23:03 AM
Slaine and Jesus become the first gay couple and live happily ever after.

At some point I need to stop suspecting that I've read the "weirdest thing ever" on the internet. Something weirder is always close behind, but this post may hold that title for a while.

ThryllSeekyr

Not so weird if you seen these....

in Slaine : Demon-Killer!!!!

Those pictures were the first time (I swear by this!) I've seen anybody but Jesus attached to a cross.

So, both sharing time on cross's of their own. But in different eras and it claimed one of them completely.

Is there anybody here who would have liked to have been called Jesus?

I don't and would not have liked to have swapped places with him.

Wandering around semi-nude, washing the feet of other people and praying in tongues and then getting nailed to the cross he's forced to carry while wearing a crown of thorns.

I apologise for stating the obvious or there may be a chance your knowledge may no not be the same as mine.

I'm glad I'm who I am and not been named Jesus and that was for the few beings who have referred to me in such a way.

I think there is superficial resemblence, despite the current shape I'm in and I also have a penis

Steve Green

Be careful what you wish for, Locustsofdeath...

Keef Monkey

This looks fun, Jesus is actually played by Gerald Johnson (Lamar in GTA V) so should be a hoot.

GordonR

Quote from: Grug on 09 August, 2014, 09:20:12 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 August, 2014, 09:05:23 PM
if he did ever exist at all.

burn the heretic!

if he was from Israel I assume he'd look middle eastern.

Due to mass population shifts, ethnic intermingling etc, you can't come close to assuming that people thousands of years ago looked like the people living in the same region today. (For instance, the Romans and Ancient Greeks were much lighter and fairer-looking - blond hair, blue eyes etc weren't at all unusual - than modern-day Italians and Greeks.)

Grugz

interesting ... which could mean jesus was a ginger!!!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 August, 2014, 05:23:03 AM
Yet, I agree he's been poorly misleading most people into thinking he's a white-bread-man

Only with a fry but I believe he was more the unleavened type during gatherings; personally I'd have gone for a mixture of rye, black olive and tomato bakes with some crisps to follow.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 August, 2014, 05:52:29 AMThat group of people who I said might have been distant relatives of Jesus are known as the Priory of Sion. Who are supposed to be more French. The Knights-Templar are supposed to be their muscle and I'm really otherwise unsure of how ell connected they are to the son of god. 

The French can be good pranksters.

Frank

Even if you buy the idea that Mary Magdalene managed to do a Fargo with the almost dead Jesus, take a boat to Cannes, and coax enough sperm from the invalid Son of God to father a dozen little messiahs, that was 2000 years ago. Even with a lot of inbreeding between first cousins, the genetic material contributed by the various folk who would have married into the line in the intervening couple of millennia would mean today's head of the Priory of Soon would be no more a direct descendant of Jesus than one in every 200 men in Asia today are related to Genghis Khan.

Of course, they could have kept the bloodline pure through first cousin and sibling marriage; a possibility explored by Garth Ennis in Preacher. Humper dumper doo!