Main Menu

Crap you really don't need but still want.

Started by richerthanyou, 26 March, 2016, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

shaolin_monkey

Thanks folks.  It's only a few days since it arrived and I still look at it in disbelief.  Is this thing mine?  This book that has been such a part of my life?  That won me my English Lit. degree?  Do I really own the first print? Constant wonder.  I never dreamt the day would come. Still very happy indeed! 

I got an acid-free archival box, which I'm going to decorate with martian war machines and line with bubble wrap, which is going to be a saw place for this rather delicate item.  I do have a lesser known first print book of his sci-fi short stories too, so that'll also go in there.

Dandontdare

Oh man, that is so cool, I'm really jealous. Even though it's a serious wodge, it'll never go down in value if you take care of it, and may even become a valuable heirloom.

I too am an absolute fan of this book. My first experience was the 50s movie, which blew me away. I then realised we had the book in the house, a rare sci-fi gem amongst all the boring crap - it was a 1966 hardback ex-school library edition which I still have. It's worth nowt, I  doubt even a charity shop would take it, but I adore this battered old book, especially the single illustration at the front:

Jeff Wayne's version was the first LP I ever bought with my own money (I was spending Christmas money and also bought Pink Floyd's The Wall at the same time, which I sometimes cite as my first album, depending on the audience  :lol:). That's a piece of music that still thrills me today. And I went to see the live version a few years ago. I even like that movie with Malcolm McDowell.

Congratulations on a great find.

Dandontdare

Just been back to drool over the photos - I love how the cover is worn at the bottom where generations of fingers have held and read it over the years - far better than any untouched pristine copy of anything.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 May, 2020, 11:07:05 PM
I too am an absolute fan of this book. My first experience was the 50s movie, which blew me away. I then realised we had the book in the house, a rare sci-fi gem amongst all the boring crap - it was a 1966 hardback ex-school library edition which I still have. It's worth nowt, I  doubt even a charity shop would take it, but I adore this battered old book, especially the single illustration at the front:

£26.00 (if this link works.