Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forum's Fav Thrill - Round 3 results!  (Read 198 times)

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
Forum's Fav Thrill - Round 3 results!
« on: 31 May, 2022, 10:06:14 AM »
Here's your at-a-glance round up of who perevered, and who bowed out. I'm especially sad to see three great  one-off anthology series all fall foul of tough draws. After Judge Dredd, Future Shocks is 2000AD's longest-running thrill - worthy of some kind of respect, surely?

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
Re: Forum's Fav Thrill - Round 3 results!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2022, 06:33:32 PM »
Once again magnificent work Alex. Absolutely love these.

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
More recent results as the Tourney forges on...

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Research Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2022, 03:52:49 PM »
Next round's going to be tricksy.

Loving your work on these, AlexF. Chopper - heh!
++ map ++ thrills ++ coma ++

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2022, 04:29:21 PM »
Next round's going to be tricksy.

Loving your work on these, AlexF. Chopper - heh!

Well I've done the draw (with both entrants where we have no decision so NO I'm not cheating!) in prep so I can start typing things up and yes its going to be very tricky.

And yeah these continue to be wonderful!

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2022, 07:55:49 PM »
The final results from Round 3 are in...

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »
Some stats as we move into Round 4, which I would ideally deliver in Wagnerian sports commentator patter if I had the skills...

64 thrills left, slightly over half of these are what you might call 'classic' , that began before Prog 1000 or so. There are at least 21 thrills still in play that are either in the Prog/Meg now, or due to return in the next year or so. On the flip side, just one Prog 1 thrill remains, and only 5 from the first 100 Progs. Despite the fine pedigree of eg. Alan Moore and Al Ewing, no anthology thrills are in play any more.

13 thrills are Dredd-related, including 5 that are exclusive to the Judge Dredd Megainze. Hang in there you Meggers!

It says something that Sancho Panzer seems to have become this Round's whipping boy, despite being a perfectly decent (if not spectacular) thrill. Wolfie Smith is hoping no one notices he's still lurking.

Top contenders writing-wise:

Dan Abnett and Gordon Rennie with 9 thrills each (although arguably Rennie's two best have fallen...)
Mills and Wagner keeping their hands in with 7 each,
Grant on 6 (although I could be misrepresenting various partnerships)
Edginton for the new guard has 6
Gerry Finley-Day and Peter Milligan both with 4

...and somehow Garth Ennis still has 2 thrills in contention, the same number as poor John Smith! (Although I don't think anyone who voted for Chopper was thinking especially of Earth, Wind and Fire...)

Artwise,
2000AD's greatest everyman Henry Flint still has 7 thrills in play
Massimo Belardinelli, Colin McNeil and Simon Davis all on 5
Ian Gibson and Patrick Goddard are both on 4

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2022, 05:20:32 PM »
Oh this data is so rich - thanks for doing that Alex. And the picturial summary are a wonder as ever.

There are at least 21 thrills still in play that are either in the Prog/Meg now, or due to return in the next year or so.

I think this is the most encouraging thing. It will be fascinating to see how these progress as the classic thrills become more classic but I think there are 4 or 5 current thrills as good (or there abouts) as anything we've ever had.

13 thrills are Dredd-related, including 5 that are exclusive to the Judge Dredd Megainze. Hang in there you Meggers!

The Meg biase is pretty much undeniable now - though entirely understandable, its Dredd heavy, has much less quantity and fewer folks read it. There is still enough in there - maybe - for it to have a thrill into the later rounds... but my personal biase is peaking out there!

Dan Abnett and Gordon Rennie with 9 thrills each (although arguably Rennie's two best have fallen...)

This is fascinating - the fact that Cabs and Absalom (I'm guessing these are the two you refer to???) are out  and he still has 9 says something. I expect Dabnett to shine in the later rounds.

... here endoth part one...

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2022, 05:57:02 PM »
Part 2

...and somehow Garth Ennis still has 2 thrills in contention, the same number as poor John Smith!

The lack of love for John Smith has been a real shocker for me. There's been some excellent thrills fallen from him - though in part due to some tough draws. There's a tie coming up where he might - in part at least - undo himself. Its one of my favourites of Round 4, but fills me with dread.

Artwise,
2000AD's greatest everyman Henry Flint still has 7 thrills in play

This fills me with great joy - though no need for 'everyman'!

Massimo Belardinelli, Colin McNeil and Simon Davis all on 5

I do wonder how much Massimo does the heavy lifting for the strips he's responsible for, compared to other artists. I've never been a massive fan of his (subjective art and all that) but I get the impression he earns more votes for his strips than others based on the comments.