Main Menu

2000 AD ART STARS – enter now!

Started by Molch-R, 09 May, 2018, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Some of the biggest artists in comic books got their break at the legendary award-winning 2000 AD – and you could be joining them! CBR has the announcement: https://www.cbr.com/2000-ad-judge-dredd-art-competition/

Our new art competition - 2000 AD Art Stars - is your chance to get into the pages of 2000 AD AND get paid for it!

Star Scans have been a staple of 2000 AD since its earliest days: single-image pin-ups of the greatest characters in the galaxy, from Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog to Dan Dare and Rogue Trooper, drawn by some of the best artists in comics from Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons to Jock and Liam Sharp!

Every four months, we're giving artistic Earthlets the chance to submit Star Scan pin-ups based on 2000 AD characters – and the winner, chosen by the editorial team at 2000 AD, will be published in a future edition of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic. PLUS they'll be paid for their art!

Each four months we'll announce a new theme and Earthlets can submit their art direct to the editorial droids. Our editor will choose their favourite image for publication. Plus, a runner up will be chosen by public vote and receive zarjaz 2000 AD graphic novels! This is your chance to follow in the footsteps of some of comics' greatest artistic talents and, who knows, maybe break into the industry yourself!

THIS MONTH'S THEME IS: JUDGE DREDD

To submit your Judge Dredd-themed 2000 AD Art Star entry now, email the artwork as a 300dpi jpg image (no bigger than 10mb in size) to 2000adartcomp@gmail.com
Entries are open until 9th September 2018. Terms and conditions apply.

Follow the competition as we feature selected entries on 2000 AD's social media at:

Instagram: instagram.com/2000adartcomp
Facebook: facebook.com/2000adartcomp
Twitter: twitter.com/2000AD
Tumblr: 2000ADonline.tumblr.com

Terms and Conditions:
All entries will be judged by editorial staff at 2000 AD. The judges' decision is final.
The winning entry will be published as a 'Star Scan' in a forthcoming edition of 2000 AD, the date to be decided by editorial.
In order for their entry to be published in 2000 AD and to receive payment, the winner must sign a standard contract with 2000 AD/Rebellion.
Entries may be selected to feature on 2000 AD's social media accounts with due named credit.
Non-winning entries will not be used by 2000 AD and will be deleted from Rebellion's servers as soon as a winner is chosen (selected images will remain on social media but can be removed upon request). Artwork remains the property of artists but copyright of characters remains with Rebellion.
Entries not fitting the relevant quarter's theme will not be considered.
Entries will not be considered from professionals currently or previously working in the comic book industry, as adjudicated by 2000 AD.
All characters are ™ REBELLION A/S, © REBELLION A/S, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. JUDGE DREDD®JUDGE DREDD IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK, © REBELLION A/S, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ROGUE TROOPER® ROGUE TROOPER IS USED AS TRADEMARK OR A REGISTERED TRADEMARK, © REBELLION A/S, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

IndigoPrime

QuotePLUS they'll be paid for their art!
And there in a nutshell is why Rebellion is better than most. Good luck, art types. Us wannabe scribblers will be watching from the sidelines, envious of your talents!

CrazyFoxMachine

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Get thee back to the drawing board, everyone!

Andy Lambert

This is wonderful news! I'd actually given up on hearing anything further regarding the competition!
Drokk, I'm really going to have to up my game for this.... :o

Bolt-01

Woo and indeed hoo.

This could be very interesting.

Good luck, proto droids!

(now, where did I leave my pens..?)

sheridan

Good news (though I hope the less serious applications are still in abundance, even if they're not suitable for print*).

*by which I mean jokey and scribbled, not just than X-rated!

Dandontdare

If we don't get one of Buttonman's piss-stained MS PAINT creations on the back of the prog, I'm cancelling my sub!

But seriously, I'm guessing a certain Mr Lambert is going to be featuring in a Star Scan very soon!

Woolly

Quote from: sheridan on 10 May, 2018, 01:09:46 PM
Good news (though I hope the less serious applications are still in abundance, even if they're not suitable for print*).

*by which I mean jokey and scribbled, not just than X-rated!

My thoughts also.
Brilliant as this news is, I hope the art competitions don't just become a testing ground for professional artists.

Woolly

On reflection, my last post makes me look a bit of a negative [spoiler]twat[/spoiler], so I'll try and do better!

This is truly awesome news - many of our past winners have deserved to grace the prog, and the idea that this is now a reality (and a fully paid one to boot!) is frankly jaw-dropping. (And yes, there's a massive chance that Andy Lambert is going to win one of these, and I genuinely hope he does. And Brian Corcorran. And Dark Jimbo. This should never be considered a reason not to enter!)
Also, as this news is being widely spread I would imagine a fair few new faces on the board's art threads, which can only be good news.

Once again, Tharg leads the way.
And, once again, my everlasting thanks to Jim Campbell and CFM for making all of this possible in the first place. May your KTT's never tarnish.

Andy Lambert

Thank you for the show of confidence in me, chaps - I'm very humbled. I think the competition will be extremely fierce now there's a chance to have one's work appear in the prog! I hope everyone entering this and future competitions does extremely well and has a great time taking part! I think this is very exciting but rather nerve-wracking!

I have a few questions:
Since they're Star Scans, do all entries need to be in colour, or is black and white still allowed?
Is it one entry per person this time, or can one still submit more than one piece?
If someone wins the competition one month, are they allowed to enter again or does winning exclude them from future contests?

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 10 May, 2018, 10:42:32 PM
Since they're Star Scans, do all entries need to be in colour, or is black and white still allowed?
Is it one entry per person this time, or can one still submit more than one piece?
If someone wins the competition one month, are they allowed to enter again or does winning exclude them from future contests?

All colours/b&w fine
The other two are still for negotiation - I'd say concentrate on one really good one for now.

In terms of the sketchers and scrawlers... there are plans to accommodate them too ;)

Watch this ssppppppaaace

Andy Lambert

Steven Denton

That's one hell of a prize!

I can see why they would exclude Pro's, that's the kind of prise that would get seasoned professionals drawing pencils twitching. Who wouldn't want to draw a Star Scan!

mightybren

This is very exciting news :) I'm not sure if I'm good enough considering the competition and the prize, but I'm going to give it a go regardless.

Not sure how practical this would be given time and other demands... but would there be any chance for some kind of constructive feedback for those who don't make it? I appreciate this is a BIG ask, but it would be really useful to everyone.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: mightybren on 12 May, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
Not sure how practical this would be given time and other demands... but would there be any chance for some kind of constructive feedback for those who don't make it? I appreciate this is a BIG ask, but it would be really useful to everyone.

Given the numbers involved it seems unlikely - plus, a lot of people really don't welcome feedback, constructive or otherwise. If yer hungry for that there are plenty of small press publications whose editors will give your portfolio a critical eye if you want it ;)