Main Menu

Festive Thrill-Tree: GN Blurb Translated Too Many Times

Started by sheridan, 01 December, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: NapalmKev on 01 December, 2020, 07:41:49 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 December, 2020, 07:01:41 PM

Can anyone guess this movie: "Put Peppers and Musicians, Musicians Group, Monthly Population Loving Animals."?

Is it Desperado?

...or could it be the Beatles film, Yellow Submarine?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

Can anyone guess this movie: "Put Peppers and Musicians, Musicians Group, Monthly Population Loving Animals."?

Is it Desperado?

No. Oddly, the best clues are either "Peppers" or "Musicians Group" - I've no idea where the loving animals came from, but it's funny.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 December, 2020, 08:08:59 PM

No. Oddly, the best clues are either "Peppers" or "Musicians Group" - I've no idea where the loving animals came from, but it's funny.

Not that I'm aware that it was ever made in to a film, but Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?  Loving Animals could have come from 'hearts' and 'Beatles'.

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 01 December, 2020, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 December, 2020, 08:08:59 PM

Not that I'm aware that it was ever made in to a film, but Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?  Loving Animals could have come from 'hearts' and 'Beatles'.

So, you're super close. The text was a summary of a film, so the title of the movie is not in the text.

Original text: [spoiler]The music-loving inhabitants of Pepperland are under siege by the Blue Meanies, a nasty group of music-hating creatures.[/spoiler]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: NapalmKev on 01 December, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

Is it Desperado?

...or could it be the Beatles film, Yellow Submarine?

Cheers

Farts! I mean ... great joy to you! I hadn't noticed this post until now. NapalmKev got it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Kudos goes to TordelBack for getting Absalom: Terminal Diagnosis - original blurb as follows:
Quote from: 2000AD
TO HELL AND BACK?

Old, irreverent and doomed by supernatural forces, hard-nosed copper Detective Inspector Harry Absalom is tasked with upholding the Accord – the treaty between the British Royalty and the forces of Hell.

As the cancer finally starts to take hold, Harry calls in every friend and favour he has left in a last-ditch attempt to save his kidnapped grandchildren from the depths of the Mills...
And as a reminder, the translated version was:
Quote from: google
The devil?

A former bronze-nose inspector who was insulted and cursed by extraordinary powers, is responsible for protecting the summit and treaty between the kings of England and the armies of hell.

When the cancer spread, called his friend to help save the grandchildren who had been expelled from the plant.

sheridan

Today's one as follows:
Quote from: google
They're turning the world around... now it's more than a hard bear right now!

Over a forest, gay men prepare the eyes of a ship that have taken the pirates back to slavery in the banana house makes mistakes, start the error signal.

Colin YNWA

Oh no. Two in and I'm absolutely flumuxed! I've tried and I don't think its any of the ones I've considered... I'll come back to this...

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm thinking Red Seas but only because "gay men" could be "jolly rodger" and it mentions pirates.

PS: Fnar!
Lock up your spoons!

AlexF

Man I am struggling with this! My first thought was Ace Trucking Vol 2, but that can't be right. Maybe it's [spoiler]Kingdom vol 3[/spoiler]?

sheridan

See, I thought one or two people might fall for the 'bear' trap at the beginning, but that as long as they ignored that then they'd get on the right track...

Two clues:

• Collected editions include those taken from the Megazine as well as the prog.
  • Probably the most important word in the entire translation is 'banana' (not entirely sure where the 'gay men' came from, though I'll hazard a guess when I give the answer tomorrow).

sheridan

Nobody guessed correctly!  I'd expected at least on person to read 'bear' in the first line and think it was Shako (it isn't).

The translated version as follows:
Quote from: googleThey're turning the world around ... now it's more than a hard bear right now!

Over a forest, gay men prepare the eyes of a ship that have taken the pirates back to slavery in the banana house makes mistakes, start the error signal.

The original version:
Quote from: RebellionTHEY COLONISED EARTH... NOW THEY'RE ALL LARGER THAN GRIZZLY BEARS!

2127 AD: High above the Peruvian rainforest, vast, eerie creatures fix compound eyes on a vessel transporting the notorious Fendito 'the Bandito' back into custody in the South-Am mega-city of Cuidad Barranquilla. For 'Banana City' judges Xavi Ancizar and Sofia Perez, the bug hunt is just beginning ...

It's Zancudo (I would also have accepted 'stealth sequel to Ant Wars set in the Dreddverse').  From what I can guess, "vast, eeries creatures" may have been translated in to "gay men" - presumably eerie, strange, queer featured in some of the intermediary languages.

Today's mistranslated blurb coming when I decide which one to post...

sheridan

Here goes:

Quote from: googleAstro Demon Development!

When the astronauts expel the world's deadliest body by accident to release destructive energy into the galaxy! Only one person has the power to end their lives! The last rhetoric in air battles, laziness and atrocities in this epic style of comedy.