Main Menu

Festive Thrill-Tree: GN Blurb Translated Too Many Times

Started by sheridan, 01 December, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Thanks so much for doing these Sheridan - one of my absolute favs of all the wonderful things that have been done to entertain us this December.

Long may they continue. All be it at an understandably slower rate!

sheridan

I was supposed to carry on doing this after the advent calendar but didn't quite keep it up.  I figure it's probably about time I resurrected the thread about collected edition blurb being translated too many times.  I'll try to post one per week - if by any chance the correct answer hasn't been guessed half way through the week I'll see if I can think up a clue (judging by the advent calendar it won't take this long).

Or in translation (didn't translate it many times)...

Quote from: googleI should have continued this after the Advent calendar but it was not saved. I think the time has come to raise the question of the erroneous translation of a statement that has been raised many times. I try to post once a week; If by chance the correct answer is not guessed in the middle of the week, I will see if I can find a clue (judging by the Advent calendar, it will not take long).

p.s. please use spoiler tags on your answer to let other people have a guess.

p.p.s. I'm not including Judge Dredd Complete Case Files, preferring individual story collections.

Quote from: googleThe idea of impotence!

All rights reserved. The old, humiliating and destructive-old Nazi bronze detector. Contract Officer - A treaty between the British Empire and the power of fire. Given.

Religious fanatics kill illegal imaginary masters and torture both parties to the treaty... and his soul must catch the accusers in Guano before it is too late to stop the whole war. Have to!

Are being taken hostage one by one, and needs all the help he needs! Especially when he knows where they are in the room...

JayzusB.Christ

Feck. I'm going to go with Caballistics Inc, but I'm probably wrong.  (Second choice, if I'm allowed one, is Necrophim.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Well, it's Wednesday so I'll give that clue - [spoiler]Caballistics Inc - I can see where you're coming from - much closer than Necrophim[/spoiler].

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Oh I can't believe I almost missed this. Fantastic to have these back thanks for doing this Sheridan... but I do wonder how close I'd have got before Funt Solo's post. As I saw it though a couple of bits fell into place and I think he's right and I'll raise his Absalom to Absalom - Under a False Flag.

sheridan

We have a winner!  JayzusB.Christ identified the 'verse, Funt Solo the series and Colin YNWA the specific collection - kudos all around.  Nothing like routine, so I'll try to remember to post the next one this weekend!

sheridan

Oh yes - and I should post the comparison - I had to censor the name Harry Absalom otherwise it would have been too easy!

Quote from: blurbBotA TOUCH OF HELLFIRE!

Old, irreverent and doomed by supernatural forces, hard-nosed copper Detective Inspector Harry Absalom is tasked with upholding the Accord – the treaty between the British Royalty and the forces of Hell.

A religious fanatic is killing illegal demonic hosts, upsetting both sides of the Accord... to prevent all-out war, Absalom and his psychotic ex-boss the Guv'nor need to catch the perpetrator before it's too late!

With his grandchildren held hostage to keep him in line, Harry will need all the help he can get his hands on! Especially when he discovers the sort of place they're being kept...

Quote from: translatedThe idea of impotence!

All rights reserved. The old, humiliating and destructive-old Nazi bronze detector. Contract Officer - A treaty between the British Empire and the power of fire. Given.

Religious fanatics kill illegal imaginary masters and torture both parties to the treaty... and his soul must catch the accusers in Guano before it is too late to stop the whole war. Have to!

Are being taken hostage one by one, and needs all the help he needs! Especially when he knows where they are in the room ...

sheridan

Probably not that difficult, but the fun is in seeing what the translation has done to the blurb.  I've still felt free to entirely remove the incredibly obvious bits which didn't get translated though (names of creators).

QuoteBillion of Pests Saved Before Scraper: The Sewer Stone Hammer and Exhaust Fighter Rescue Group incorporates the People Buster Pro-Quartz movement. The two men accompanied their children to the danger of death after the tragic Bruno Earth, or to the danger robots necessary to maintain the 100% success rate of a huge battle tank.

The first is a book by William, which features numerous British comedians including (Wahidon) (Command) extensions.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Forgot to say - yes, Funt Solo gets it 100% correct with Ro-Busters: International Robot Rescue!

Quote from: original-blurbSAVED FROM THE SCRAP HEAP BY BILLIONAIRE HOWARD QUARTZ, sewer droid Ro-Jaws and battle-weary war-bot Hammer-stein became part of Ro-Busters – Quartz's international, robotic rescue squad. Plunged into situations far too dangerous for human beings to handle, the robotic duo need to maintain a 100% success rate, or face the threat of being dismantled  by the sadistic battle tank Mek-Quake!

Written by Pat Mills (The ABC Warriors) and featuring several British comic art luminaries, including Dave Gibbons (Watchmen), Ian Kennedy (Commando) and Kevin O'Neill (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), this first volume includes all of the original Starlord strips and colour spreads.

Quote from: translated-blurbBillion of Pests Saved Before Scraper: The Sewer Stone Hammer and Exhaust Fighter Rescue Group incorporates the People Buster Pro-Quartz movement. The two men accompanied their children to the danger of death after the tragic Bruno Earth, or to the danger robots necessary to maintain the 100% success rate of a huge battle tank.

The first is a book by William, which features numerous British comedians including (Wahidon) (Command) extensions.

However much I tried I couldn't get the names of the creators to transform so had to just delete them (except for Patrick Mills, which got turned in to William Patrick).

sheridan

Lets do another one...

Quote from: translation-botThe growth of librotropics!

The days of mankind are numbered. The country has admitted to being regular swimmers for a month, and most of the world's population has become hungry for meat. As distracted survivors enter the food chain, a young Londoner finds out that she is destined to save humanity!

Colin YNWA

Is this one the [spoiler]Age of the Wolf[/spoiler] collection?

AlexF

Has to be!

I'm intrigued by the idea of a curse that turns you into a regular swimmer, for a month.
Or perhaps that's just a new year's resolution left by the wayside?

sheridan

Colin gets it straight away!

I'll post the original versus translated versions at the weekend, along with the next one :)