Main Menu

Prog 2210 - Dark Visions

Started by broodblik, 02 December, 2020, 02:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

broodblik

A creepy good cover by Kendall and another story ends as we really now in filler world. The prog yet again is solid and highly enjoyable.

Dredd – As the simps start making their move, Dredd is taking his own action. Some nice action too boot as well.

Stickelback – The finale: but a more what really happened and who is behind it all and why.  This is in some sense the beginning of the return of Holmes. The story ends with a good introduction to a new character.

Deadworld – A creepy reflection on the world of Deadworld with some striking imagery from Dave Kendall.

Sin/Dex [spoiler]– Sin = Dexter – With the title change [/spoiler] Bulletopia continue with the next chapter. This chapter does not only about Dexter going solo but also the return of Steve on art duties. This is all about the escape plan with no time for our heroes to rest.  The biggest problem I have with the series currently is that it is being told in all these small chunks and is used as a filler rather than one big story-line.

Fiends - Ian continues to spin his magic. The story is just awesome as Constanta continues his transformation into the monster he will become. Before we forget Tiernen's art as always gives the story an extra dimension. 

Fixed broken spoiler tag — IP

broodblik

The nerve centre also mention the upcoming series Proteus Vex and why Henry Flint is not on art duties. Glad to hear is working on a top-secret project for next year.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 02 December, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
The nerve centre also mention the upcoming series Proteus Vex and why Henry Flint is not on art duties. Glad to hear is working on a top-secret project for next year.

"End of Neighs: The Horse Strikes Back"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 02 December, 2020, 08:39:09 AM

The final Hail Mary for Skip Tracer popularity.

TordelBack

Another in good long run of excellent, original covers. The Statue of Tooth is beyond freaky.

Dredd still looks amazing (love the subtle differences of Patsy's lawmaster), and there's plenty of fun things to look at, but I do feel the story itself is dragging its feet a bit now: there's not much happening that couldn't have been fitted-in last week, or alternatively a conclusion could have been reached his week. This may just be a personal bias for punchier humour stories, and it's hardly The Ecstacian yet either.

Speaking of unfortunate Wagnerian pedigrees, I'm not a fan of the casual use of the stun-shot: that's what Grud gave us daysticks for, and I was pleased when Dredd finally put the boot in. Remains a fun read, but with a bit of compression I feel it could have been a wee classic.

Stickleback. Now here's a story that didn't outstay its welcome. Initially I was a bit irritated to learn that all the mystic hoops that we jumped through were smoke and mirrors, but on reflection that works well thematically. This is a transitional story about alternately deploying and shedding illusions, and as the shade of Hastur hoves into view at the dockside I'm more than keen to see this reworked strip return.

Sinister Dexter. Ugh, green not-zombie consumers and blandly rendered shopnames. I was glad to see Yeowell retake the reins, but this is a pretty uninspiring backdrop for some soul-searching. I'd feel better disposed towards this episode if I didn't suspect that any momentum that may be regained is promptly to be lost in another too-short run. Give SinDex the Skip Tracer treatment please, Tharg.

Fiends. Didn't expect that!  Constanta continues to over-egg his origin (descendant of a shape-shifter, usurped by a patricidal brother, raised by magic wolves, prophecised by a dragon, trained by a troll, transformed by witches/goddesses, [spoiler]who he then slaughters and drains..[/spoiler].),  but the effect is still somehow completely delicious. What did happen to Skade, then?  Wasn't Constanta's plea for healing so that he could go back and save him?  Great stuff altogether.

But best in show is Deadworld. Kek-W and Kendall return to the grand-scale worldbuilding Dreams that got us into this mess in the first place, describing a future for Deadworld more terrible than even the endless plain of bones we know. It's a long strange road from the bees to here.  (My money's on [spoiler]Fairfax[/spoiler]).

Oh, and is this a Survival Geeks epilogue I see?  Excellent.

norton canes

Shockingly, I actually forgot to buy the prog today. This is literally the first time since I returned from my 27-year hiatus in February 2016 that I've forgotten to buy my prog on a Wednesday. I am appalled with myself.

Theblazeuk

I love that the Behemoth is potentially a sister ship to The Leviathan, doomed by an entirely different type of strange passenger.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 02 December, 2020, 04:13:28 PM
Shockingly, I actually forgot to buy the prog today. This is literally the first time since I returned from my 27-year hiatus in February 2016 that I've forgotten to buy my prog on a Wednesday. I am appalled with myself.

Don't worry we're all appalled at you to. 10 rosette of Sirius and 10 hail Mighty Ones my son.

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 December, 2020, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 02 December, 2020, 04:13:28 PM

Don't worry we're all appalled at you to. 10 rosette of Sirius and 10 hail Mighty Ones my son.

There's some things you just don't admit to!!!

It's right up there with saying that you voted for Brexit!!! :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

NapalmKev

Glad to see the return of Deadworld. Top Thrill for me!

Enjoying Dredd and Fiends... a lot and would be happy to see Sticklepath return in the future.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Wasnt particularly looking forward to this prog, as I'm no fan of Deadworld, this Stickleback hasn't been doing it for me and the Dredd is a bit drawn-out.

However, I ended up very much enjoying every page. The surprise (to me) quick return of Dexter was the highlight- as I was sort of expecting a six month wait and then a time jump when it eventually returned. To have it back so soon, and starting off directly following the last episode was a shock. I absolutely love Sinister Dexter, am completely invested in all the characters, and trust whichever of the Abnett avatars works on this, implicitly.

Deadworld was wonderful- it looked gorgeous and read clearly and cleanly. Fiends continued to be just very good indeed, Stickleback ended on a high note and I am now interested to see where it goes next- which if you'd asked me last week would have not been my expected response... and Dredd is still drawn-out, but entertaining.

Does this mean we don't get a filler issue next week for a change? But I admit, all my attention is now on the xmas prog and the return of Slaine.

SBT

broodblik

I have on criticism against the current Dredd story and I believe the story could have been done in 3 parts.  I still think Niemand is doing a great job on Dredd and I like his more satire/humour type of stories.  With the combination of Carroll and Williams who might do more your  darker hard-hitting stories Dredd is in good hands.