Main Menu

Halo Jones Audiobook

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 15 March, 2021, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I thought I may as well do a separate thread for it here, rather than carry on in the News section.  Anyway I listened to it all yesterday, and was a lot more impressed than I thought I'd be.  Halo's voice works perfectly for me; from innocent teen to battle-hardened soldier.  The other voices too are fine - I would have thought Toy had an American accent rather than a London one, but it helps to distinguish her from other characters.  Same situation with Life Sentence - I kind of had her down as having a Southern states drawl rather than sounding a tiny bit like Pete Wells.

Didn't expect the emotional punch either.  Maybe it's because I'm older now and I haven't read the whole series since I was younger than Halo is in Book 3, or maybe because it's because the last year has felt like one of the three years Halo loses in Moab, but theme of loss seems a lot more apparent.  Halo's life being gradually stripped of all joy and meaning genuinely brought a tear to my eye, and her fantasy of [spoiler]murdering a child[/spoiler] seemed way more chilling.

I'm not sure how this would play out to a listener unfamiliar with the source material, though.  As Jenny points out on Eamonn's podcast, it's not at all clear that Lux Roth Chop is [spoiler]a prepubescent child, given that he has an adult's voice.[/spoiler] I don't think it's clear either that the Glyph [spoiler][spoiler]sacrifices his / her life to save Halo and Toy.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

But all in all, as I said, very pleasantly surprised at the quality. America was enjoyable but I definitely prefer this.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

What kind of accent do Halo and Rodice have?  Seeing as they're from off-Manhattan (I don't think Toy's origin was ever hinted at - not even that they originated from Earth).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 15 March, 2021, 02:53:50 PM
What kind of accent do Halo and Rodice have?  Seeing as they're from off-Manhattan (I don't think Toy's origin was ever hinted at - not even that they originated from Earth).

Yep, I'm no expert on the various Stateside accents, but Halo and Rodice are proper New York, as far as I can tell.  Rodice more so - a sassy, working-class type NY accent (a little bit grating at times, but it works).  Toby sounds a lot more streetwise NY than you might expect too.   
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"