Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Bonjo vs Shadows Rd 1 Heat 58

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 December, 2021, 06:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Another strong week here...in week ... scchhh whatever (Week 8 keeping track fans). I mean that's all relative, but for this Round there are some great thrills coming up in this week's tie. I mean sure the normal peppering of dross, but some really strong thrills and for me at least, interesting ties.

Well even in a strong week there will be some naffin' great slumpers and here we have ano... mind you lot voted for Dash Decent over Department K (No, no I will never, NEVER get over that!) so I'd better be careful what I say here! Bonjo from Beyond the Stars was another throw away strip... if anything with Kev O'Neill art can ever be called throw away. It does however come up against one of the most respected (? that's not just me right?) self contained stories in Pete Milligan and to me an unrecognisable Richard Elson's Shadows. So my friends you must decide...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Bonjo from Beyond the Stars - more info

Vs.

Shadows - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 16th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

'Bonjo from Beyond the Stars' was perhaps THE thrill I was most excited to track down as a youth hunting for Back Progs. It was in some of the really early ones, but only a handful, and it had Kevin O'Neill art.

I did eventually track down those Progs, and it was like reading NuRoboHunter all over again. SO TERRIBLE. SO RACIST. The art's decent enough, of course. There's a reason they didn't reprint it in 'Cosmic Comics' along with loads of other early O'Neill efforts.

Shadows isn't quite as good as it's reputation, but it's still pretty good and Elson's early scrappy style is kinda great.

If Shadows doesn't romp home with this one I'm gonna join Colin in the grumpy corner.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

Not read Bonjo so it's got to be Shadows.

I still fine to core premise pretty disturbing. And it's probably just as relevant today, if not more so.

Huey2

Timothy

I hadn't realised until this vote that Shadows was by Richard Elson. His style has changed dramatically. Anyway Shadows gets my vote.

IndigoPrime

Shadows isn't the best strip by either of its creators, but it's been oddly overlooked regarding reprint. Bonjo, as stated earlier, has major problems when revisited today. Kev's art will always be great, but Shadows is the only one of these I'd want to read today.

sheridan

Shadows for much the same reason as AlexF disliked Bonjo - though it stands in its own right too!  Luckily we have a better version of what Bonjo could have been in Dash Decent!

JayzusB.Christ

I liked Shadows a lot. The double twist at the end was very nicely done.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Southstreeter

Barrington Boots

Shadows for me too. The setting and ending is bleak as anything.
As a young reader I couldn't abide the art. Had no idea it was Elson!
You're a dark horse, Boots.