Main Menu

Buy my Science Non-fiction comic

Started by AlexF, 14 January, 2022, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

So I'm guessing everyone here is into Science Fiction, but are you also into just plain science?

I've written a non-fiction comic about neuroscience - or at least, I've scripted a comics version of a whole bunch of scholarly work on neuroscience as done by my parents. It's illustrated by Dan Locke, and is published by Bloomsbury in March.

It's called Two Heads, and is now available for preorder...
(quite expensive, admittedly, but it's over 300 pages long and took us 5 years to make!)

Colin YNWA

That looks really interesting. I've picked up a few 'popular science' comic books, really nice one on Evolution, a nice history of the 'Guilded Age' of dinosaur fossil hunting spring to mind and so

Ordered.

AlexF

Is that dinosaur one by Jim Ottaviani? I've read a few of his comics, he's excellent, a real pioneer of non-fiction comics.

Also thanks! Hope you enjoy it.

Dark Jimbo

Your mum's got a typo in her name! Hope it's not too late to tweak the cover.
@jamesfeistdraws

Lorenzo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 January, 2022, 02:11:17 PM
Your mum's got a typo in her name! Hope it's not too late to tweak the cover.
You may want to tweak the kerning while your at it... ;)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 14 January, 2022, 02:04:36 PM
Is that dinosaur one by Jim Ottaviani?

It is, I've got a couple by Jim Ottaviani, he really is good at that stuff and a lovely bloke from the limited 'chats' I've had with him.

AlexF

QuoteYour mum's got a typo in her name! Hope it's not too late to tweak the cover.

Hah! Between telling me the publisher (I think we noticed in November) and them telling Amazon to use a new jpg
that'll be fixed in...
2023?

I shouldn't wonder if people get copies in French by mistake too. This is how the AIs are planning to take over - by annoying us to death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 14 January, 2022, 04:26:18 PM
[I shouldn't wonder if people get copies in French by mistake too. This is how the AIs are planning to take over - by annoying us to death

You mean the French variant - it'll go for a small fortune soon on eBay.

AlexF

Sorry for ther shameless plug, but my book is officially on sale today!

https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Uta-Frith/Two-Heads--Where-Two-Neuroscientists-Explore-How-Our-Brai/25345025

I'm rather intrigued by the audiobook version, which they managed to put together remarkably quickly, narrated by Jon Culshaw.

Colin YNWA

And my copy has been dispatched - looking forward to this landing.

Colin YNWA

And landed. Have to say its a handsome beast of a comic. Really nicely presented and the art looks great. Not a million miles from Scott McCloud.

I was in a rush tonight (girl child swimming of course!) so forgot to do the smell test.

This will get a pass on the read list but still might take me a wee while to get to. Look forward to reporting back when I have.

AlexF

I do look forward ot that, but don't push it up your reading list on my account! It's 350 pages and Judge Dredd (sort of) is only in one panel.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 08 March, 2022, 09:19:00 AM
I do look forward ot that, but don't push it up your reading list on my account! It's 350 pages and Judge Dredd (sort of) is only in one panel.

He is indeed, nice reference AND The Princess Bride gets a nod so that's double good!

Anyway having 'tested positive' at last I'm finding illness has an upside. Yesterday I couldn't read so watched 4 episodes of a telly show - 3 of which I enjoyed - I never get to do that. Today I've found I'm still poorly (a bit) but able to read again and so have spent the morning catching up with the second half of 'Two Heads' and its an absolute triumph. I say this not to flatter Alex simply 'cos it is.

Firstly the fact that's its a comic is SO adapt given its subject matter, one of cooperation and diversity. What better way to express that than via a medium that mixes the skills of the writer and artist to get to a better outcome than either could do on their own. Something that this book demonstrates both in content and in ability to get complex ideas into my simple noggin (though I have learnt that I'm actually WEIRD and the creators flatter me by calling me smart - bless um!) Its masterfully done.

The art does indeed hark to that other genius of non fiction comics Scott McCloud - well being a BIG fan of Zot comics generally but he's best known for his non-fiction. Its simple, straightfoward, disarming and in that able to convey complex things very, very clearly. Its sparks with imagination (not sure how much this is from script or joint discussion?) and allows the words to remain in clear focus, while never being diminished in and of itself. Its a lovely comic to read.

The real masterstroke is the way the 'tale' is told. The first half feels a little disconnected to its overarching theme, as none neuroscientists are introduced to some basic themes and concepts. Then there's a little interlude about the world of science and how it works leading to a second half that starts to pull all the threads, laid out so expertly in the first together into a cohesive whole. Its has an epic and genuinely heartwarming conclusion, that really should be read by so many folks I suspect will never hear of the comic.

Thence I call this a tale, as while its a non-fiction its structure is that of a story, it pulls you through, lays the 'characters' and 'clues' out for you and then steady pulls you through to understand its single overarching narrative. Its makes it an effortless read, even with such an apparently weighty subject matter.

So the structure makes this readable and draws you through the telling makes it a pleasure. The tale as told by Uta and Chris Frith is done in such a relexed conversational style its not like your reading a popular science book rather sat around a table chatting to two entirely engaging individuals, both of whom seem genuinely funny (very funny at times) and charming - which given how brilliant they clearly are is a bit annoying, couldn't they be all lofty or summit?!? Its like a fascintating conversation (and Daniel Locke's 'friendly' art really elevates this) - if one-sided. Like when your chatting to some folks that are so interesting you just listen and ask more to find out what they know.

I have to say, and this is something I never thought I'd say about a book about psychology, its enchanting, that's the best way to describe it, enchanting, especially that ending, which is a magical message we should listen to.

Heartly recommended!

AlexF

Wow! I couldn't ask for higher praise or more sincere words. Am v. glad this books seems to be working, it's mighty indulgent writing about your own parents...