Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Rogue Trooper vs. Harlem Heroes (Reboot) Rd 2 Heat 117

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 April, 2022, 06:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I'm trying to deicde if even the very best bits of HH reboot (for me, the opening few episodes and bits of the super-stupid comedy-ish version where Siku painted on top of Kev Hopgood) are better than the very worst bits of original Rogue - but both the Horst saga and the Hit bits have stellar art, so I think it's just a flat out 'no' - even though the same artist is doing both!

As far as Rogue goes, as a young reader I skipped it as I wasn't then taken with the Future War setting or the Cam Kennedy art, but I fell in love with the strip after gettting hold of the old Titan volume 1 with its Gibbons-y goodness, and now hold the opinion that it's basically all VERY very good (yep, even Fort Neuro) up until around 'Colonel Kovert' and then it starts to feel a bit played out and just digs itself into a hole that even Rogue 'super shoveller' Trooper can't climnb his way out of.

JayzusB.Christ

Rogue has been hit and miss over the years, but the premise is brilliant, and some of the stories are very good.  (Does Cinnabar count?  Because that single-handedly made up for all the duff RT stuff.)

HH:  No, no, no.  No.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

While I liked most of the art in the various iterations of the early Rogue stories, the character himself I found a bit dull and one-note.

Harlem Heroes, on the other hand, in addition to having great art by Gibbons & Belardinelli, was also the strip which gave us Artie Gruber (one of my fave villains in Tooth). And although it did not register with me at the time, looking back now, I can't recall many comics which featured a largely black cast of characters. Which, for me at least, shows just how far ahead and progressive 2000AD was for its time.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: paddykafka on 28 April, 2022, 12:06:04 PM
Harlem Heroes, on the other hand, in addition to having great art by Gibbons & Belardinelli, was also the strip which gave us Artie Gruber (one of my fave villains in Tooth). And although it did not register with me at the time, looking back now, I can't recall many comics which featured a largely black cast of characters. Which, for me at least, shows just how far ahead and progressive 2000AD was for its time.

This is the HH reboot, paddy - Fleisher and Dillon.
@jamesfeistdraws

paddykafka

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 April, 2022, 12:07:45 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 28 April, 2022, 12:06:04 PM

This is the HH reboot, paddy - Fleisher and Dillon.

Oh, dear God, no!

Rogue Trooper it is, so.  :lol:

(Thanks for the clarification, DJ.)

Colin YNWA

No surprise its not close and a day to go to not make the mistake paddykafka made and release this is the Fiesher reboot HH and so whatever you feel about it you will vote for Rogue...

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

One of those ties where there's not been much to learn. Rogue Trooper generates extremes of opinion and there would be some interesting time ahead for this cornerstone character. The thing is coming up against the reboot Harlem Heroes we've not put anything against those views to test them and

Rogue Trooper

only needs to use Helm to get into Round 3.