Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Mean Machine vs. Storming Heaven Round 2 Heat 125

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2022, 06:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

And we've done it... we've made it... the final week of the seemingly unending Round 2. It amazes me that we've stayed the distance, not killed each other over the course of these last 16 weeks, our love persists and maybe we need to take a break before charging headlong into anything else? I mean this week ends on a doozy, maybe we should take a break there and reflect.... Orrrr....

...see ya Monday for Round 3!

Mean Machine has appeared in many places in Thrill's Thrill-palace but here we are talking the stories that fell under his own banner. Psychedelic trip of a thrill butts heads with the Angel Gangs' most mechanical son, we all know how that's going to end right...

Mean Machine - more info

Vs

Storming Heaven - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 7th May and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I think I voted against Mean last round, saying he's better as a supporting character than a lead in his own right. I've re-read most of his solo stories since then and enjoyed them, so call me fickle but my vote's going to Mean Machine this time.

Magnetica

IndigoPrime

Not a huge fan of Storming Heaven – too short. But it looked gorgeous and had some interesting ideas, so it wins it for me. I've never really got on with Mean Machine solo strips. He's fine for an occasional Dredd appearance, but is tiresome on his own.

Dark Jimbo

I love Mean, but I'm not sure that his solo outings ever rose above the level of 'filler,' even though they were occasionally quite funny.

Storming Heaven has flaws - it feels like a hugely truncated longer story, for one - but it was massively innovative and imaginative (not something, with the best will in the world, that you could accuse the Mean stories of). Stunning to look at, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

rogue69

Proudhuff

Storming Heaven

Two of the Progs greats together and anything to do with the Angel Gang is played out, even the Grennie droid has trouble breathing life into this franchise
DDT did a job on me

AlexF

I agree there's much to admire in Storming Heaven, but overall it's a bit of a misfire for me, I guess I'm just not that into stories of super-powered evil people (see also Ten Seconders). That first solo Mean Machine series, though, with Richard Dolan art, that was just proper hilarious. Some of the one offs were good for a few jokes, including those mini Robert McCallum strip cartoons. Agree that Son of Mean was only OK.

But still, Mean Machine is one of the all-time great comedy villains, and he was actaully well-served in his solo efforts, better even than some of his Dredd outings.

Mean Machine for me, but it's looking like a close contest today!

Link Prime

Quote from: AlexF on 04 May, 2022, 11:49:27 AM
That first solo Mean Machine series, though, with Richard Dolan art, that was just proper hilarious.

Yeah, the Wagner & Dolan series clinches this for me.
Mean Machine.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Mean Machine. But again, this was a battle of two of Tharg's lesser thrills.

SBT

Funt Solo

Tricky vote here - on the one hand I'm trying to differentiate between Mean as a supporting character, and his own solo outings (data here). Up against that is the controversial Storming Heaven - which still feels like a high concept somewhat in search of a better realization.

Yeah - it's Mean Machine, partly for Travels With Muh Shrink and Son of Mean. The thing is, even the one-offs are often gold.

"Nobody votes for me lessen I sez they can!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.