Main Menu

Forum's Fav Thrill - Round 3 results!

Started by AlexF, 31 May, 2022, 10:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Here's your at-a-glance round up of who perevered, and who bowed out. I'm especially sad to see three great  one-off anthology series all fall foul of tough draws. After Judge Dredd, Future Shocks is 2000AD's longest-running thrill - worthy of some kind of respect, surely?

AlexF

Colin YNWA

Once again magnificent work Alex. Absolutely love these.

AlexF

More recent results as the Tourney forges on...

AlexF

Funt Solo

Next round's going to be tricksy.

Loving your work on these, AlexF. Chopper - heh!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 June, 2022, 03:52:49 PM
Next round's going to be tricksy.

Loving your work on these, AlexF. Chopper - heh!

Well I've done the draw (with both entrants where we have no decision so NO I'm not cheating!) in prep so I can start typing things up and yes its going to be very tricky.

And yeah these continue to be wonderful!

AlexF

The final results from Round 3 are in...

AlexF

Some stats as we move into Round 4, which I would ideally deliver in Wagnerian sports commentator patter if I had the skills...

64 thrills left, slightly over half of these are what you might call 'classic' , that began before Prog 1000 or so. There are at least 21 thrills still in play that are either in the Prog/Meg now, or due to return in the next year or so. On the flip side, just one Prog 1 thrill remains, and only 5 from the first 100 Progs. Despite the fine pedigree of eg. Alan Moore and Al Ewing, no anthology thrills are in play any more.

13 thrills are Dredd-related, including 5 that are exclusive to the Judge Dredd Megainze. Hang in there you Meggers!

It says something that Sancho Panzer seems to have become this Round's whipping boy, despite being a perfectly decent (if not spectacular) thrill. Wolfie Smith is hoping no one notices he's still lurking.

Top contenders writing-wise:

Dan Abnett and Gordon Rennie with 9 thrills each (although arguably Rennie's two best have fallen...)
Mills and Wagner keeping their hands in with 7 each,
Grant on 6 (although I could be misrepresenting various partnerships)
Edginton for the new guard has 6
Gerry Finley-Day and Peter Milligan both with 4

...and somehow Garth Ennis still has 2 thrills in contention, the same number as poor John Smith! (Although I don't think anyone who voted for Chopper was thinking especially of Earth, Wind and Fire...)

Artwise,
2000AD's greatest everyman Henry Flint still has 7 thrills in play
Massimo Belardinelli, Colin McNeil and Simon Davis all on 5
Ian Gibson and Patrick Goddard are both on 4

Colin YNWA

Oh this data is so rich - thanks for doing that Alex. And the picturial summary are a wonder as ever.

Quote from: AlexF on 04 July, 2022, 05:05:10 PM
There are at least 21 thrills still in play that are either in the Prog/Meg now, or due to return in the next year or so.

I think this is the most encouraging thing. It will be fascinating to see how these progress as the classic thrills become more classic but I think there are 4 or 5 current thrills as good (or there abouts) as anything we've ever had.

13 thrills are Dredd-related, including 5 that are exclusive to the Judge Dredd Megainze. Hang in there you Meggers!

The Meg biase is pretty much undeniable now - though entirely understandable, its Dredd heavy, has much less quantity and fewer folks read it. There is still enough in there - maybe - for it to have a thrill into the later rounds... but my personal biase is peaking out there!

Dan Abnett and Gordon Rennie with 9 thrills each (although arguably Rennie's two best have fallen...)

This is fascinating - the fact that Cabs and Absalom (I'm guessing these are the two you refer to???) are out  and he still has 9 says something. I expect Dabnett to shine in the later rounds.

... here endoth part one...

Colin YNWA

Part 2

...and somehow Garth Ennis still has 2 thrills in contention, the same number as poor John Smith!

The lack of love for John Smith has been a real shocker for me. There's been some excellent thrills fallen from him - though in part due to some tough draws. There's a tie coming up where he might - in part at least - undo himself. Its one of my favourites of Round 4, but fills me with dread.

Artwise,
2000AD's greatest everyman Henry Flint still has 7 thrills in play

This fills me with great joy - though no need for 'everyman'!

Massimo Belardinelli, Colin McNeil and Simon Davis all on 5

I do wonder how much Massimo does the heavy lifting for the strips he's responsible for, compared to other artists. I've never been a massive fan of his (subjective art and all that) but I get the impression he earns more votes for his strips than others based on the comments.