Main Menu

Help needed from all you arty types!

Started by Tanky, 03 May, 2004, 06:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanky

Word.
During my recent frantic job hunting attempts, i've managed to score an interview for a local games developer's art department. Go me! However, i'm a bit nervous cos i haven't animated anything since i was at uni. My old showreel is in a shocking state, being 5/6 years old and done on 3Dstudio. Unfortunately i have no decent graphics software on my pooter either, or cash to purchase with. I still have plenty of storyboards and most of my coursework.
So. What i'd like to know is: what should i be working on? what should i take to my interview? And do i have a hope in hell?
My interview is a week today. Please help me get a really cool job! Many thanx and much luv, tanky xx

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Richmond Clements

I can't help, but good luck Tanky, tell us how you do!

Bolt-01

Max Kon

Adrian Bamforth

Free Photoshop trial:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=39

Free 3D Max trial:

http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=403

Free GMax program (mostly the same as Max but with no rendering option)

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

However, I don't know if they will let you save/render stuff, I have a feeling Photoshop might lack filters...if you can't save in Photoshop and you're desperate you can always take a screenshot and paste it into 'Paint'

Good luck

ADE

Richmond Clements

Slippery PD

Cant really offer any advice, exept if your PC or Server or network is broken.  But a patronising "good luck babes" you can have for nothing at all.... and let us know how you get on.

Yer Slips

Adrian Bamforth

"Bloody hell!
What a fucking icon!!"

We aim to please!

ADE

Devons Daddy

wow great stuff tanky.
you have a great trip come back broke yet land on your feet upon your return, now bring more joyous news to the board by getting that job.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Pyroxian

Umm, not 100% sure what you should have in your portfolio as our office has been mostly closed down and all our artists have moved on to pastures new...

Is it an animator's job or a modeller's job, or a bit of both? And what type of game is it?

You probably want a range of stuff anyway - show you can model boring stuff (like cars and tables - you always need tables in games). Not sure what to show for animations, but once again you'll probably need to show you can animate normal people, fantastic creatures and normal things (like cars and TVs...)

Steve

Tanky

I'm not sure what's expected yet. I just applied to the art department, so i figured its best to assume its a bit of everything. They make all sorts of games, but i think it's mostly strategy type stuff with the odd sport sim.

Many more thanks to all for the help and good wishes...i guess i'd better do some work!

Dunk!

It depends on the company but i think most (mine for definite) look for potential and enthusiasim from a first time employee. There's loads of packages that can be/have to be learnt on the job and also in-house tools that you couldn't have any prior knowledge of anyway, so raw talent is what opens the door to the newbie.

Be aware that for most places now Maya is the standard 3D tool - in fact EA won't touch a company unless they're using Maya - so see if you can get a free trial version and have a fiddle 'cos it does things a lot different to 3D Studio.

Bar that take a selection of your best stuff that you're prepared to chat about, be aware of what's going on in the current market place, and talk their socks off with your enthusiasum.

Probably all stuff you know, but if you have any specific questions drop us a line and I'll try to get one of the knowledgable folks i work with to answer you but pretend it's me.

Good luck and have fun.

Tulkas.
"Trust we"

VampiraJen

Bloody hell!
What a fucking icon!!

is it just be or is it a giant flying courgette...?