Main Menu

Nort Forum Gathering

Started by Beeks, 18 February, 2011, 11:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote"other issue is, would any of you guys feel a bit weird having a 17 year old aboard? "

Well if THE DRY BAR is like it was back in my days in Manc, taht shouldn't be a problem.  I was forever having girls come and chat me up by saying, "Mister, can you help me with my homework?"

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SquashedFly

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 February, 2011, 11:46:57 AM
Quote from: SquashedFly on 22 February, 2011, 08:12:24 AM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 22 February, 2011, 08:05:17 AM
Quote from: SquashedFly on 22 February, 2011, 05:40:56 AM
I'd think about being there, but I will be a couple months shy of the Legal drinking age then. Bugger.  :(

Christ, I started going to the pub when I was 15! I think you'll be alright.

I'm doing my best to sort out coming to this. I'll let you all know as soon as I can.

Hmm true  :D. I have been served before when with other people. The other issue is, would any of you guys feel a bit weird having a 17 year old aboard?  ;)

I'm curious to see if any of them can answer this without coming across like Michael Jackson...

I have to say, so was I, I regret wording it like that now... :D

Albion

How bizarre, I'll be making my first visit to Manchester on April 9th.

I'll be there with a friend to see King's X play at the Academy. Both being ale drinkers we hope to visit the MArble Arch Inn too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dandontdare

Cool, we must try to join up at some point. It's quite a few years since I've been in the Marble Arch as it's the other side of the town centre from me, but I do remember the fine range of beers and the floor that slopes towards the back, making it progressively harder to leave, as it's uphill. This was our usual meeting pub for gigs at Band on the Wall in it's heyday.

But there are also good real ale pubs much closer to the Academy.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Albion on 23 February, 2011, 07:21:22 PM
How bizarre, I'll be making my first visit to Manchester on April 9th.

Don't forget to kill them all Albion, the Nort scum  ;)

Albion

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 February, 2011, 07:29:31 PM
But there are also good real ale pubs much closer to the Academy.

Excellent, can you recommend some?

Our paths may cross, I'll make sure I have a 2000AD badge on at least, for ID purposes.
I don't know what time we will get to Manchester but we hope to have a few pints and maybe a curry before the gig. The next day we are heading to Wolverhampton for the next gig.

Dandontdare

The Briton's Protection, near to the Bridgewater Hall and Deansgate Station, is a lovely old fashioned pub with Tetley, Cumberland and Robinson's Unicorn as regulars, with 2 other guest ales, plus a 7% cloudy scrumpy that's a killer, and a huge selection of over 220 whiskys.

Closer still is the Salisbury (just off Oxford Rd by the railway arches and the steps up to Oxford Rd Station) is one of the pubs we're likely to visit. It's a biker-friendly pub with Theakston's and usually 2 or 3 guest ales.

Even closer towards the Academy, the Odder Bar is a quirky studenty venue oppsoite the BBC. It's all glitter, kitsch and moose-heads, but that also has a few nice guest ales.

For a great curry you want to keep going down Oxford Rd PAST the Academy and on to the famous Curry Mile of Rusholme.

Dandontdare

Albion

Great Dan, thanks for that. I'll make a note of those and maybe check some out. As for the curry mile, we have to go there.

Beeks

Ok...so as it stands...meet up at Dry...what time?

Then we can do a couple of bars round the Northern Quarter...maybe over to the Circus Tavern on Portland St then maybe we can bob over to the temple?(Best jukebox in manc) then maybe Pevril on the Peak? followed by the British Protection...then back to finish in Fab Cafe?

What do you reckon?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Dandontdare

Shall we say 1pm in Dry bar? Then we can visit FP and Travelling Man (any other shopping venues that people would like to visit? Afflecks? Hermans?) and then do the Portland St/Oxford Rd pubs.

I approve of your other pub suggestions. The Temple is a very cool little bar. The Peveril was shut a while ago, but may be re-opened now. I think it's changing owners.

Beeks

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 February, 2011, 05:09:20 PM
The Peveril was shut a while ago, but may be re-opened now. I think it's changing owners.

Ah wasn't aware of that...it's been awhile since i've had a beer in there
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Bhuna

Ages since I've been to Manny, so I might pop down and see if I can handle the 192 on the way home! Has the date been confirmed?

Cheers
Bhuna
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Beeks

Quote from: Bhuna on 24 February, 2011, 05:18:27 PM
Has the date been confirmed?

Cheers
Bhuna

Looking that way...April 9th 1PM at Dry Bar Oldham Street to kick things off  ;)

Kehaar

Still up for this - how we going to recognaise each other (those not me before?) nort badges ?
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk