Main Menu

Started by W. R. Logan, 07 September, 2006, 12:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

>Yeah, should have re-named it 3000ad (or something) and relaunched when the year 2000ad came and went.

Suggested, planned & rejected.

Floyd-the-k

it's not too late to change it.  I bow to everyone else's expertise in matters marketing but I still think '3000 AD' is a good name. Far from showing lack of confidence in 'the brand', it shows confidence that the thing will still be around in 1000 years.

Banners

It should just be called "AD". Simple.

M@

JOE SOAP

>it shows confidence that the thing will still be around in 1000 years.

A bit of a ridiculous and unrealistic reason to change the name. And since you mention it, would it not be better if it was still called 2000AD in a 1000 years. A tradition?

Because the actual year has gone is such a trivial reason to change the title, so why bother. You would lose more than you gain as we now see that 2000AD is not just a year but an ideal.

Oddboy

Because the actual year has gone is such a trivial reason to change the title, so why bother. You would lose more than you gain as we now see that 2000AD is not just a year but an ideal.

I agree with that whole-heartedly... but I doubt that anyone born after 1995 will ever *get* that "2000AD" = THE FUTURE!
How can the future be exciting when you've grown up with personal com links and splasma tellies? I pity these young people and those who haven't even been born yet.
Better set your phaser to stun.

JOE SOAP

>How can the future be exciting when you've grown up with personal com links and splasma tellies? I pity these young people and those who haven't even been born yet.

I really don't think that matters when the stories are well drawn & written, I feel it's an easy, wrong and lazy attitude. 2000AD is the antidote to superhero comic junk and there is always an audience for that. Please don't patronise the upcoming generations, it's too easy and old curmudgeons do it.

dweezil2

As my printed letter in 2000ad at the time, during the discussion, opined. Marathon/Snickers anyone? It will always be Marathon to me, same as 2000ad. It doesn't need a name change-simple as that!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Oddboy

Please don't patronise the upcoming generations, it's too easy and old curmudgeons do it.

But it's SOOOOO fun!! And I am old nowadays (well, 27 tomorrow. That's certainly not 'youth' anymore, *sob*)

Anyway - I was agreeing with you because I think of 2000AD as being a futuristic year...even though it's not anymore. Future generations might not get "2000AD" as a title meaning "The Future" - but not being a future generation myself means I've the luxury of not having to give a rat's arse.

Huzzah!
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

"it's too easy and old curmudgeons do it"

Cut us old curmudgeons a break, 'dude'.

JOE SOAP

>Future generations might not get "2000AD" as a title meaning "The Future" - but not being a future generation myself means I've the luxury of not having to give a rat's arse.

2000AD is not made for future generations or generations in general, it's a weekly comic that's lasted "presently" for 30 years, for fans

I'm 31 and couldn't give a hoot who "gets it" because there are always people who get it and people who don't, no matter what generation they belong to. So I'm not worried about generations since nothing can appeal to everyone.

A generation is considered 30 years, tooth' has lasted that long -Batman & spiderman have both lasted more than one generation without much of a character -or even name- change why not tooth'?

Buddy

Watcher... that 80's logo is EXACTLY what I was thinkin of if I had the time to do it up..ecxellent stuff.

As for the title... 2000ad is old, in 1977 the year 2000 seemed an eon away and I'm sure no-one on the comic expected it to last that long.

I really think Rebellion missed a trick re-branding the comic in the year 2000.

As time goes on the year 2000 will seem more and more irelevent and I think it's a mistake to hang on to it.

The upcomming 30th anniversity is an ideal opportunity to promote the comic onto the general public.

Rebellion should be pushing this event as much as possible, I mean, Lorraine Kelly should be talking about this on GMTV, it's a really important event in British comics.

If the 30th doesn't make the news Rebellion isn't doing it's job.

JOE SOAP

>I really think Rebellion missed a trick re-branding the comic in the year 2000.

Do you honestly think it would make a difference if they changed the name? A comic like 2000AD doesn't represent the future, it's relevance is not about prediction but interpretation, the alternative etc.

I think your conception of the comic is misguided. People won't stop buying it because of what it's currently called. To change the name to something as lame as 3000AD is such a trivial thing it's not worth doing.

paulvonscott

4000AD

My final offer

Banners

:: It should just be called "AD". Simple.

Hmm, I'm not sure it works...

M@http://www.aptronym.co.uk/adorigins.png">

JOE SOAP

>4000AD

My final offer

Ha, no way, tooth' or nothin'.