Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Modern Panther

On the plus side, we can be assured that they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and jailed for fibbing about hearing a cabinet minister saying a naughty word. 

We're all in this together.  But some of us are in it deeper than others.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 February, 2014, 02:53:36 PM
Latest: I had a word with our local Bobby, who kindly telephoned the council manager who's been bothering my mother and advised him to stop it.

Good on you, mate.

The Legendary Shark

I know this is just a (massive) advert for MoneyWeek magazine but it still contains some useful information: The End of Britain
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

That is a fairly chilling advert.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Temponaut on 06 February, 2014, 06:31:15 PM
On the plus side, we can be assured that they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and jailed for fibbing about hearing a cabinet minister saying a naughty word. 

We're all in this together.  But some of us are in it deeper than others.

This whole thing disgusts me and has been a real spit in the face to anyone who has paid any attention to how the police are normally held to account for their crimes. Such as whenever they interact with protestors drinking tea.

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of overzealous police, I'm not sure even Dredd would do this: Cop Handcuffs Firefighter

Well yes - he probably would at that...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Latest: My cousin and her husband have been on at me, accusing me of deliberately making my mother ill. I woke up this morning to find my back garden gate wide open and possible evidence that somebody's been rooting about outside - this may of course be simple paranoia (but everyone in the universe has that) but I can't afford to take the chance. Because of this I had to turn down work this weekend, which my boss wasn't best pleased about, so now I'm going to be properly skint and might even have lost that job altogether. My mental problems are trying hard to engulf me and my dickey ticker feels all bubbly. The hits just keep on coming.

But am i disheartened?

A bit, to be honest, but only a bit.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Call me a duff old-fashioned square from the past, but I am reasonably certain that the idea is that a family closes ranks against threats rather than turns on each other.
I don't know your family details, Sharky, but based on the experience of mates it sounds like your mother's problems are incidental to your kin taking the opportunity to vent that they want you to make things easier for them by conforming, even if it means letting the guy harassing your mum get away with it as long as it gives them ammunition to have a pop at you.
And yes, this armchair really is very comfy, etc...

Chin up, old son.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Prof. And you're right - I will one day forgive, but probably never forget, that my conformist cousin has taken the side of a bullying stranger over a member of her own family. I can't adequately express how deeply this has upset and disappointed me.

Still, if my life was a film this would be the part where the protagonist finds himself alone and must dig deep to stick to his principles. I'm just glad that i don't live in Mega City One!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

That's appalling all round, Shark.  For goodness' sake don't let all this get to your dodgy heart or your dodgy brain.  Principles or not, nothing is worth your health.  You can do more good (even if it's just keeping us all thinking) with your faculties intact than from some ward or other.  Non carborundum illegitimi, as no Roman ever said.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tordels. On the (massive) plus side, I've just had a very good meeting but i don't want to say any more in public at this point.

Hope glimmers...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Sharky, keeping an eye on this thread. I'd endorse TordelBack on his comment. Keep it positve (as much as possible); keep your focus and deal with one issue at a time. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Zen.

I'm kinda' regretting posting about my health because it reads like I'm whining. Tordel's concerns have made me think, though, but - and I hope this doesn't sound trite - I don't think my health matters in this case. I wonder how many people in much worse situations than mine have bowed to bullying and been evicted or had possessions siezed under invalid warrants. I can see that it makes sense for me to give in and toe the line from a personal standpoint, and I have been thinking about little else today, but I find that I simply can't do it, you know? That sounds daft even to me - it's not like I'm doing something important like curing cancer or developing free energy but it's important to me and so I continue in spite of everything.

I know, I know - arrogant Muppet, right? No way I'll disagree with anyone who thinks so.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]