Main Menu

Prog 2191 - Let's Boogie!

Started by Leigh S, 18 July, 2020, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good solid prog with a few minor niggles.

The highlight for me is the awesome cover. The cover feels like the old sci-fi novels done to pull you in to buy the book.

I did not expect another old character to be introduced in the Dredd saga. Currently the story feels just too disjointed [spoiler]and having the bear in it feels out of place[/spoiler]. We have still a few episodes left so hopefully everything will come  together.

The rest of the stories are going at a nice pace and starts feeling like they are heading for an end. The Out turns a angle which I did not expect.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

judgeurko

Dredd End of Days has now officially jumped the shark or should that be [spoiler]jumped the bear[/spoiler]. I'm an infrequent reader of the prog, & I mainly read it for Dredd but now I don't feel that bothered with continuing, this is the worst Dredd story I have read in years. I can't believe that Rob Williams wrote this, its just a bunch of things happening with little depth or sense of threat. If we'd seen a backstory to these 'four horsemen' maybe in a prologue story? Or just something to give a bit of weight to events. At least the artwork is good, even though that final panel is groan inducing it looks great.

MacabreMagpie

In all the various reactions to that [spoiler]character[/spoiler] showing up, can I just comment how bloody brilliant an image that last splash page of Dredd is? Henry really knocked it out of the park.

broodblik

Flint is always a joy in any prog but the last panel is just awesome
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

There is a lot of really harsh crit for Dredd right now and I'm not sure its really valid. Rob is, IMO writing a summer blockbuster strip that is built to rattle along at a breathless pace. Personally I'm really enjoying it in exactly that way.

It isn't 'America', and it isn't trying to be.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've not been overly impressed with this Dredd so far, but the sudden appearance of [spoiler]a giant polar bear called Shako- even if Shako is just "the eskimo word for bear" and not necessarily our favourite CIA Death List killer, who after all died well at the end of his story[/spoiler] perks things up for me greatly. I dont care how many times [spoiler]bears called Shako turn up in modern 2000AD publications,[/spoiler] I love them all. But not as much as I would love a[spoiler] brand new series dedicated to him[/spoiler].

Other than that, all I have to say about prog 2191 is The Out is possibly my favourite thing in the prog for years- even more so than Brink. This week's episode was sublime.

SBT

Oh okay- The Order was more interesting this week, what with the Jericho stuff, Diaboliks was okay and Full Tilt Boogie is slipping away I fear. But Dredd and The Out- just wow.

Tjm86

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 22 July, 2020, 12:07:14 PM
Full Tilt Boogie is slipping away I fear.

I wonder if this is where the danger of Regened strips moving over to the Prog may prove a risk?  FTB has a lot of the sensibilities of (okay, admittedly to my very limited knowledge and experience here) manga-esque strips.  It is aimed at growing a younger audience so this makes sense.  What it does mean though is that to the "more seasoned readers" among us there is less for us to connect with?

broodblik

I am enjoying Full Tilt Boogie and would like to see more of it when the first series  is done (except if is written as a once-off series). 

Mardroid

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 18 July, 2020, 04:06:51 PM

Alex Ronald

I confess that I wasn't  all that taken by the design of the Full Tilt Boogie craft. I think it's nice enough in depicting a sci fi jet*, how I'd imagine a short range fighter like your BSG Vipers or Star Wars X-Wings**, but not so much a multi-crew vessel which is essentially a home for your protagonists.

I've gotta say though, it looks absolutely phenomenal on this week's cover. Vicious and beautiful all at once. A very dynamic image.

I enjoyed this week's prog. I'm finding some strips hard to follow, but that's likely my faulty memory, except where the Order is concerned, as I think that would be baffling if I read it in one go. (I have no real issues following Judge Dredd week to week though, but it's a simple plot. I don't intend this as a criticism, I'm enjoying it.)

None of it was bad.

Concerning Judge Dredd, [spoiler]I know that creature is diseased, but it really doesn't look like a polar bear. A nasty beast though.[/spoiler]

*Technically not a jet since you wouldn't use jet propulsion in outer space- but I'm sure you get what I mean. It basically looks like a sci-fi fighter plane with jagged bits added.

** Yeah I understand the rebel fighters in SW have hyperdrives which mean they can travel interstellar, but as single person fighters you probably wouldn't use one as a home like you might, say the Falcon, Serenity, etc.

JayzusB.Christ

I only read the Sci Fi special last week, and the second appearance of [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] wasn't really for me.

The Out is pretty amazing though. Anyone else getting a Halo Jones type vibe here?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

Again, The Out and Full Tilt Boogie are highlights for me. I'd welcome more series of these.

IndigoPrime

Does this technically now mean Dredd is [spoiler]in the same continuity as Kingdom[/spoiler]? ;D

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 July, 2020, 09:09:12 AM
I only read the Sci Fi special last week, and the second appearance of [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] wasn't really for me.

Wasn't it also this year that [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] fought Hookjaw? Making it his third(!) appearance this year...
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 July, 2020, 09:43:27 AM

Wasn't it also this year that [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] fought Hookjaw? Making it his third(!) appearance this year...

Yes correct so we can assume the third horseman will be [spoiler]a shark[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

The Out is pretty amazing though. Anyone else getting a Halo Jones type vibe here?

I as just about to say, if this is another crispy/deadman/malone twist and it turns out to be Halo Jones Book IV, I will be very pissed off. It does have that vibe though, in all the best ways.

I think the prog's on good form at the moment -  I've found many thrills a bit lacklustre earlier in the year, but I enjoyed all of the current offerings.

Least favourite is probably Full Tilt Boogie, which isn't grabbing me much, but it ain't bad. I can appreciate the desire to get the kids back on board with Regened, but it's not my cup of tea.

I agree that the Dredd story could badly have done with some more scene-setting or build-up as it feels a bit disjointed, but I didn't mind [spoiler]the bear. And she doesn't say that's his actual name, just that "I call him Shako" - well if you had a giant murderous polar bear, what the hell would YOU call it?[/spoiler]

The Order is bonkers and always has been, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Diaboliks is fantastic - captures the cabalistic vibe perfectly, the characters are interesting and well defined and the b/w art is horrifically lovely.