Main Menu

The Rebellion Years Top 10 Series - Tournament

Started by broodblik, 13 June, 2020, 12:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 13 June, 2020, 02:25:40 PM
Is it possible for anyone with edit rights to update my post  with the alphabetic list to change TFC to TFS ?

I think it should be left as TFC for posterior posterity.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Yep, Full Tilt Boogie? Well, I've long found Alex de Campi to be my absolute favourite of contemporary comic writers. I wish her stories had been in 2000ad before now. Her characters are always intriguing and her plotting is really top notch. Unlike some contemporary prog authors, she also knows how to script a scrotnig and satisfying conclusion. Trust her.
And yes, putting this new series at number 1 is clearly hyperbolic on my part - but these first two episodes, for me, are so exciting and so kinetic, almost reminiscent of reading the first few pages of Halo Jones for the first time. A grand journey is coming.
And the art is simply charming and beautiful.
I also contend that this is the only regened strip that properly achieved the 'all ages' brief - certainly the only strip that my Phoenix-loving child was interested in.
Sticking to my guns here!

Bolt-01

1. Strontium Dog
2. Kingdom
3. ABC Warriors
4. Nikolai Dante
5. Button Man
6. Cradlegrave
7. Brink
8. Storming Heaven
9. Leviathan
10. The VC's

That was actually really tough outside of the top 5.

And TFC is always 'Treatment Function Code' for me. :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 15 June, 2020, 11:14:18 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 13 June, 2020, 02:25:40 PM
Is it possible for anyone with edit rights to update my post  with the alphabetic list to change TFC to TFS ?

I think it should be left as TFC for posterior posterity.

What about TFU? I don't think i ever did work that one out.

EDIT - Aha.  https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=2614.0
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 15 June, 2020, 11:30:41 AM
Yep, Full Tilt Boogie? Well, I've long found Alex de Campi to be my absolute favourite of contemporary comic writers. I wish her stories had been in 2000ad before now. Her characters are always intriguing and her plotting is really top notch. Unlike some contemporary prog authors, she also knows how to script a scrotnig and satisfying conclusion. Trust her.
And yes, putting this new series at number 1 is clearly hyperbolic on my part - but these first two episodes, for me, are so exciting and so kinetic, almost reminiscent of reading the first few pages of Halo Jones for the first time. A grand journey is coming.
And the art is simply charming and beautiful.
I also contend that this is the only regened strip that properly achieved the 'all ages' brief - certainly the only strip that my Phoenix-loving child was interested in.
Sticking to my guns here!

I have to say having gone back and read the Regened episode (thanks Rebellion for the free download- that saved me looking for it) and the episodes in the last two week's Progs that I agree with you, it definitely can appeal to adults as well as kids. Indeed it might be too much for kids....but then again it's nothing compared to Flesh and Inferno to name but two from the early days. 😉

broodblik

1.Nikolai Dante
2.Jaegir
3.Brink
4.Brass Sun
5.Shakara
6.Kingmaker
7.Kingdom
8.The Red Seas
9.Slaine
10.Strontium Dog

My top two was easy picks, the rest was much more difficult.  Honorable mentioned must go to 3 strips that if they we are in the second or third series I believe would challenge for a top 10 possie: Feral & Foe, Proteus Vex and Full Tilt Boogie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

If nothing else, the initial list craps all over the thoughts you see in some parts about how the Prog isn't as good as it used to be. Such rot.

Anyway, I don't think I can kick out series that started pre-Rebellion, but I am going to weight my responses accordingly—hence a markedly lower showing for Nikolai Dante, and the omission of Strontium Dog (my favourite classic-era strip).

1. Kingdom
2. Brink
3. Shakara
4. Nikolai Dante
5. Low Life
6. Deadworld
7. Jaegir
8. Brass Sun
9. Leviathan
10. Ichabod Azrael

Bubbling under:
Absalom
Caballistics Inc
Indigo Prime
Leatherjack
Stickleback
Strontium Dog
The Red Seas

Given what hasn't made it into my top ten, and the quality of strips that didn't even make it on to my shortlist, it seems Matt and co. (sorry, Tharg and his minions) have been doing rather a good job since the Kingsleys marched to the rescue of the Galaxy's Greatest.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I must admit, with regards to Full Tilt Boogie, that I was sorely tempted to put it in my top ten as well. Only partly because I can be a bastard old contrarian at times and was annoyed at the stick it got when it appeared in the AA special. Mostly though, because the first episodes have been so fresh and bright and new, and not like the majority of recent prog strips, that I'm incredibly excited to read it each week already.
I didnt, because it's too new and might go to hell in coming weeks. But on the totally separate issue of how much I'm loving it- I'm loving it a lot.

SBT

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 13 June, 2020, 12:44:35 PM
4. We are working on a point system that follows the Formula 1 Point System: Points are awarded to drivers and teams based on where they finish in a race. The winner receives 25 points, the second-place finisher 18 points, with 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 1 points for positions 3 through 10. So quite simple only 10 series will be allocated points, but nothing stops you from listing your top 79 series.

Not got the slightest idea how car races work, so I'm hoping the order of these doesn't matter, as it was difficult enough cutting out loads of series I love and want to see back in the prog soon (please, Tharg).

23). Brink (73)
38). Deadlock (11)
54). Grey Area (87)
57). Helium (12)
64). Jaegir (43)
72). Leviathan (10)
99). Savage (121)
109). Stickleback (58)
113). Survival Geeks (37)
135). Thistlebone (10)

sintec

Quote from: sheridan on 15 June, 2020, 05:48:28 PM
I'm hoping the order of these doesn't matter, as it was difficult enough cutting out loads of series I love and want to see back in the prog soon (please, Tharg).

Ordering does matter.  As I understand it (also not a car race fan) your choices will be assigned a score based on the ordering:

It's also been stated that:

Quote from: broodblik link=topic=46524.msg1030583#msg1030583
you can vote as many times as you want  but only the last vote is the one that counts.

So you've still got time to agonise further over the final ordering, I know I am.

broodblik

Quote from: sintec on 15 June, 2020, 06:27:09 PM
I'm hoping the order of these doesn't matter, as it was difficult enough cutting out loads of series I love and want to see back in the prog soon (please, Tharg).

Ordering does matter.  As I understand it (also not a car race fan) your choices will be assigned a score based on the ordering:

It's also been stated that:

Quote from: broodblik link=topic=46524.msg1030583#msg1030583
you can vote as many times as you want  but only the last vote is the one that counts.

So you've still got time to agonise further over the final ordering, I know I am.

The points allocated is as sintec stated above
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Not got the slightest idea how car races work, so I'm hoping the order of these doesn't matter, as it was difficult enough cutting out loads of series I love and want to see back in the prog soon (please, Tharg).

Damnit - this is going to take some thought!

• Deadlock (25 points)
  • Leviathan (18)
  • Stickleback (15)
  • Brink (12)
  • Helium (10)
  • Savage (8)
  • Grey Area (6)
  • Thistlebone (4)
  • Survival Geeks (2)
  • Jaegir (1)

broodblik

sheridan I do not mind how many times you vote the only rule is your last vote is the one that counts

Andy B

1. Nikolai Dante
2. Caballistics
3. Sinister Dexter
4. Savage
5. Brink
6. Absalom
7. Kingdom
8. Strontium Dog
9. Shakara
10. Cradlegrave

Honourable mention: Button Man (only half the story is in scope)

There would be a lot of Ian Edginton strips in 11-20...

BPP

1st - Strontium Dog
2 - Nicola Dante
3 - shakara
4 - cabalistics Inc
5 - cradlegrave
6 - Brink
7 - lobster Random
8 - low life
9 - stickleback
10th - leviathan

Thanks for the list btw - great to read a recall so many fantastic strips. Still can't believe button man didn't make it (and I LOVED book 4 unlike the rest of you heathens).

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd