Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

A few of my pages still have the original pencilled price tag on them.
£15, and £20......

That aint what i paid,  :(

seanharry

Glad to hear people remembering Comics Showcase. I have many happy memories of that store.

For getting artwork of great British artists, it couldn't be beat. And I loved the way that they had it all on display at the back of the store; so if you couldn't afford it, you could still enjoy it like at an art gallery.

I once notice a guy buying his comics there, and recognised him as Bryan Talbot. When I approached him, he pulled out his portfolio, and gave me a special preview of volume 2 of Luther Arkright, letting me look at the pencils for the first 10 pages of the graphic novel.

Spikes

Quote from: seanharry on 10 July, 2013, 04:51:52 PM
Glad to hear people remembering Comics Showcase. I have many happy memories of that store.

Was Comics Showcase once flooded out, and a lot of original art was ruined?
Seemed to recall hearing that, though i may be mis-remembering.

Also that the owner, if he didnt think youd appreciate the art, he wouldnt sell you it!  :lol:
Ill have to dig out the old links for the place, if i can find 'em.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 July, 2013, 04:59:20 PM
Comics Showcase ... if the owner didn't think you'd appreciate the art, he wouldn't sell you it! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjySV9M7wo

hippynumber1

Arrived this morning.  If I can just draw everyone's attention to Frame 4 for more censored Johnny naughtiness!  :lol:  BIG thanks to Ceri for letting this go...

Skullmo

A lovely page! :-) You now have a Hicklenton too!  :P

Were Purity and the warlock lovers?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Greg M.

Great page! The notion that Purity was going down on Nemesis in that scene didn't occur to me till now. Dirty Johnny (and dirty Pat.) As for whether the two were lovers (er, Nemesis and Purity, not Pat and Johnny!) - it's certainly strongly implied at times but never made explicit.

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 10 July, 2013, 05:14:15 PM
Arrived this morning.  If I can just draw everyone's attention to Frame 4 for more censored Johnny naughtiness!  :lol:

Whats that stain at the bottom of the page, Mark?  ;)
But big congrats on finally snagging a Hicklenton of your own! :thumbsup:

And that Comic Showcase story link -  here

Simon Beigh

I'm surprising myself by saying I quite like that Hicklenton page.. Good grief did I just say that? It's been a long day...  :)

hippynumber1

Quote from: Judge Jack on 10 July, 2013, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 10 July, 2013, 05:14:15 PM
Arrived this morning.  If I can just draw everyone's attention to Frame 4 for more censored Johnny naughtiness!  :lol:

Whats that stain at the bottom of the page, Mark?  ;)

It was like that when I got here... :-\

Spikes

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 July, 2013, 05:31:14 PM
As for whether the two were lovers (er, Nemesis and Purity, not Pat and Johnny!) - it's certainly strongly implied at times but never made explicit.

I'm (lazily) not gonna go looking for any references in the comics to back this statement up, but; to me (as a teenager) I thought it was made quite explicit that they were shagging.

PS- nice one Mark.

hippynumber1

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 July, 2013, 06:03:25 PM
I'm (lazily) not gonna go looking for any references in the comics to back this statement up, but; to me (as a teenager) I thought it was made quite explicit that they were shagging.

You're probably right - Purity certainly spends a lot of time getting all mopey about whether Nemesis cares for her, and both Torquemada and Candy make plenty of comments about her "having truck" with a deviant, at which she gets very offended. (Ro-Jaws's advice: "You keep on trucking.")

hippynumber1

I'd agree here; although never explicitly stated that 'we're having sex' it does seem clear from about Bk 7(?) that their relationship is a sexual one.