Main Menu

Three Dimensional Television.

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 10 June, 2009, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

It's not new and since the likes of Beowulf it's been improved in the theatres.

They gave me these really cool plastic horn rimmed 3-D glass's at the box office when buying tickets to this film.

As you know, the 3D effects have been improved to point that those glass's don't need the lence on one side tinted red and the other tinted blue. --Giving those old 3D films a funny all over colour--

There 3D glass's these days are clear and only enhance the viewing.

Anyway, getting to the point......

I am about to choose a Box Office film to watch on cable telvision.

It's the latest adaption of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and while the cinema version was meant to be in 3D.

I'm not sure if thats a feature extended to televison.

3D is a weird thing and I'm not sure works as well on a normal sized television.

The televison I use is a normal televison with a slightly convexed shaped screen at roughy a foot by a foot and a third in size.

I still have my speical 3D glass's, Though one of the folding parts have completly snapped in half and I've lost that part.

So they don't stay on as well. Although, I do plan to try to repair these before I watch the film later on.

Thats if I should bother with these 3D spectacles at all.

Funny, I have never tried them white watching "Beowulf" when it was on telvision. Quite afew times it's been on televison.

So, if anybody knows what I'm talking about and has seen the film and on telvision, I'd like to know?

If it's still in 3D?

I'd also like to know if it's worth watching.

If it's good movie.

I've heard a few bad reveiws.

Some of these might have been from this messageboard.

Though I like the original story, the science fiction concept and the fact that I have enjoyed older versions of this movie.

Colin YNWA

As part of my job as a College Librarain I do a lot of work with eLearning technologies. On one of the local meetings I attend we got to visit these fella's who are based in Doncaster College around November

//http://www.dk-exchange.com/

Under the guise of investigating the applications of 3D in the classroom (though in truth its probably a few years off being widely used in the FE sector). ANYWAY the point of that is to say that this company let us have a nosey at the work they are doing for Sony converting their films to 3D (well they call it 4D but we're spliting dimensions there) amongst other things. We got to see clips of what will be planned to be the home version of Spider-man 3 and one of the Harry Potter films. Frankly it was all very disappointing. The bloke showing us this stuff did make it clear that these products are still being perfected and there was 20 or so of us trying to watch the same TV AND apparently you do need a optimum position etc etc but really it was pretty uninspiring for the home market.

Some of the specific 3d set ups were incredible but judging from the very limited stuff I saw the home stuff about 6 months ago still had a way to go.

ThryllSeekyr

After watching this film earlier this morning, twice. I ditched the 3D specs about halfway through When I realised they didn't make much diffference.Although, I could swear the 3D was working in places. I don't the uniform size of most televison screens makes much difference.  

There was scene where some fellow is playing with one of those measuring tape devices, --atghe the start of the film in a office--It just appears to come right out of the screen. The same can be said for a old wooden yoyo that Brendan Fraser's character retreiveves from a box --delivered to his house before his adventure starts-- and another scene he blows some dandi-lions growing in the centre of earth. Still things didn't seem significant enough for me to wear a pair glass that I had attached a plastic fork to replace one the folding pieces. With a piece of bendy wire. They were still too distracting to wear as they didn't appear to be needed and heaven help me if I ever need to wear perscription lences for failing eye sight. I don't think I'd ever get used to them.

As for the movie itself. It seemed like lesser fascimile of one original movies and for all it's better speical effects. It should rightly have the same basic ideas/locations as the Jules Vernes novel.

-A trip to the Alps, to find the entrance, [spoiler:1b248ou8]I think the gem mine was a added bonus or a previously forgotten part of the Jules Verne novel which the protagonist kept using themselves through out the film as well. I don't recall this from earlier films. Seems like ideal place start a "Dungeon & Dragons" film in a subterrenean Dwarven mineing town with a system of  mining carts and railways. The best scene here appeared to be taken straight from "Indiana  and the Temple of Doom" as they make their way to the next location.[/spoiler:1b248ou8]

I think descent to the earths centre was speeded up when [spoiler:1b248ou8]stepped on thin rocky floor with a chasm beneath them. The bit which they appeared to be doing for long time before lanaded in what must have avery deep pool of water.[/spoiler:1b248ou8]

This was when I decided there are a few scenes here til the part get back to the surface ewhen they surely should have been killed. But a underground world also appears to suspend the laws of physics noramally meant for surface, topside. Hard to say wether this is fact or fiction, but things were different.

-The mushroom forest

-Undrground ocen with what appeared to be subterrenean sun. Which is wher I brlives makes this whole journey worth while. Pity they can't stay there though.

-Using the higher altitude thermals to sailing the underground ocean to get to the otherside.

Riding the volcanic rise of lava in boat made from --I leave that blank as a surprise-- to land in some [spoiler:1b248ou8]mountainous vineyard in some italisn farmer's backyard.[/spoiler:1b248ou8] Almost like original film.where they come out of the volcano to land in a tree near a Nunery.

Some memorable scenes from original that were ommitted for others that seemed pale in comparison.

If anybody remebers the oafish blonde swede with the gold tooth whose pet goose that gets eaten by one of his colleges later on.

The iqaunos or Komodo lizards dressed up and filmed in such way to look like those much larger sail back dinosaurs on the underground beach.

The skeleton pointing to the volcanic shaft with the dish thgat they must use to get back.

I thought it was interesting tht in the later version, that they never found human remains except for the previous explorer's --belonging to ones brother and anothers father-- make shift camp on the beach.

Do people turn into monsters or do they just die?

I watch this newer film only once if your a Vernian --terminology for secret soceity of people meet each other to read his novels-- of the original story. Though seemed incomplete and rather short, lacking the charm of the original. Which I would still prefer to watch many times over.

One thing more, this film was modern adaption that literally refefrred to the original story from the pages of he Jules Vern noel that character took them as a guide.

I'm not sure if they made Jules Verns or used some other ficticous or some other historical or relative character as the one that they were following in the footsteps of in original film.

Though I thought it would be better if they remade this as a film set in the earlier era rather than contempory.

Matt Timson

I won't be truly happy until I have my own holodeck.
Pffft...

Judge Man

Quote from: "Matt Timson"I won't be truly happy until I have my own holodeck.
That would be more aweome than a 3D television.  :ugeek: