Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2023, 01:49:26 PMAnt-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania

Well, I have to say: I have no idea what all the sniffy reviews are on about. Quantumania is fine, in fact it's pretty good.

Agree. Quantumania is solid and nowhere near Marvel's worst films (IM2, Thor2, Eternals). The 3 Ant-Man films are of similar grade: efficient, visually imaginative, enjoyable, and no flab. Any quibbles are mostly down to matters of taste. They have their method down to an art.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 April, 2023, 07:51:35 PM...Marvel's worst films (IM2, Thor2, Eternals)... Any quibbles are mostly down to matters of taste.

Agree with you there regarding matters of taste. I agree on IM2 but I'd put FF in place of Thor 2, which I think is okay - but when it comes to Eternals, It's one of my all-time favourites. I properly love it.

Taste, eh? There really is no accounting for it.

Also thought Quantumania was a solid entry.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 April, 2023, 08:26:33 PMI agree on IM2 but I'd put FF in place of Thor 2

Presuming by FF you mean Fantastic Four, Shark?

They've yet to make the MCU version of the foursome (unless you're telling me this from the future).

The Legendary Shark

Since Multiverse of Madness, I guess I could include The Hoff's Nick Fury film if I wanted...

If FF's barred, I could slot in that Ten Rings thing instead.

Tbh, I enjoy most of the Marvel films - they're the modern version of Baby Shark being captivated by all those wonderful Harryhausen films; even the crap ones were good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Inspired by a snidey post I made in another thread, I came across the two-part Netflix documentary, Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story. A difficult watch, in places (especially the second part), but very balanced and thought-provoking. It casts light on the minds of an absolute monster who fooled a nation, a nation taken in, and the silent agony of the victims. Recommended - if you have a strong stomach.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3: is great. If you were unmoved/uninterested in the previous two, this is going to do nothing to change your mind. However, if you are remotely invested in this team of space-adventuring misfits, then Vol3 rounds off the trilogy in fine style. As you'd expect, there are great jokes, lots of action, and some proper tugs at the heartstrings.

I'll also add, without spoiling anything, that this is, in places, a good deal darker than previous GotG instalments and, frankly, most of the MCU movies to date. For squaxx with kids... I dunno, I know we all go on about the inappropriate shit our parents let us watch in the 70s/80s, but I would think long and hard about taking a kid under 12 to see this.

Which isn't a criticism. The certificate literally says that it may not be suitable for kids under 12, and the darker places it goes... well, you'll see, but I didn't think they were gratuitous, and they served the story.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I'm properly looking forward to this film - even more so after your review!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Raging Bull recently received a 4K restoration and is doing the rounds, if you have a showing near you do yourself a favor and go see it. Marty made more aesthetically accomplished movies later in his career but he is at his most raw here, the boxing sequences are insane when restored to their original, harrowing splendor.
The closest a boxing movie got to outright horror besides the only actual horror boxing movie, Tokyo Fist, which owes a very explicit debt to Raging Bull.
Marty never misses.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 May, 2023, 08:00:14 PMGuardians of the Galaxy Vol 3: is great. If you were unmoved/uninterested in the previous two, this is going to do nothing to change your mind. However, if you are remotely invested in this team of space-adventuring misfits, then Vol3 rounds off the trilogy in fine style.

That's what I wanted to hear!

I 100% checked out of the MCU with Endgame, but I will be back for Gunn's GotG send-off.

Speaking of which; does it reference much of the stuff since Endgame?
I remember reading that the crew were in the last Thor film, and a recent Christmas special.
I have no inclination to catch-up on any of it, just want to know if it's relevant.

Left field side note; The recent Guardians of the Galaxy game (2021) is a must have for fans of these films.
Set in a broadly similar yet separate continuity (think the recent PS4 Spider-Man game) it has a brilliant story featuring the 5 key characters - personally, I enjoyed it more than the flicks.
It's very easy to play too, so even gamer mooks like Colin YNWA can impress their kids with artificially enhanced skills.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 May, 2023, 12:29:38 PMSpeaking of which; does it reference much of the stuff since Endgame?

I don't think so. As long as you know what happened with/to Gamora, you're good.

QuoteI remember reading that the crew were in the last Thor film, and a recent Christmas special.
I have no inclination to catch-up on any of it, just want to know if it's relevant.

Thor, no. The Christmas special, possibly — although a change in relationship between two of the main team that happens in the special is referenced, it's not a major plot point. OTOH, the Christmas special is great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 May, 2023, 02:53:41 PMI don't think so. As long as you know what happened with/to Gamora, you're good.
I didn't, but there's a recap of sorts.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Radbacker

GOG 3 is absolutely the best I've seen from marvel the last couple of years.  Outstanding in every respect, if there is one criticism it may be one minute it makes you shed a tear the next there is a bit of goofy humor.  Soundtrack like the last two is great as well, turns it up to 11, great SFX too and the hallway scene is great, possibly one of the best action scenes in a marvel movie.

CU Radbacker

rogue69

Renfeld: where Renfield has now started going to Self Help groups to help him cope with his bosses over powering control of his life, goes out to find victims for Dracula and gets mixed up with the city's biggest drug dealers and a corrupt police dept a he tries to break away and regain his independence. Good amusing film with lots of over the top action with Nick Cage suited to playing this version Dracula

paddykafka

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 10 May, 2023, 08:53:57 AMRaging Bull recently received a 4K restoration and is doing the rounds, if you have a showing near you do yourself a favor and go see it. Marty made more aesthetically accomplished movies later in his career but he is at his most raw here, the boxing sequences are insane when restored to their original, harrowing splendor.
The closest a boxing movie got to outright horror besides the only actual horror boxing movie, Tokyo Fist, which owes a very explicit debt to Raging Bull.
Marty never misses.

I'll second your admiration for 'Raging Bull', Hawkie. It says something about Scorsese's skill as a film maker - and De Niro's best ever, IMO performance - that even though it's central character is such a horrible and utterly nasty individual, it is still a completely gripping piece of cinema. And by a wide margin, probably the greatest movie about boxing ever made.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 May, 2023, 02:53:41 PM
QuoteI remember reading that the crew were in the last Thor film, and a recent Christmas special.

Thor, no. The Christmas special, possibly — although a change in relationship between two of the main team that happens in the special is referenced, it's not a major plot point. OTOH, the Christmas special is great.

Cheers Jim.
I plan on purchasing the Vol 3 Blu-ray at some stage to complete the trilogy in my collection - hopefully it will include that special as an extra.