Main Menu

Who's that drawing Union Jack Jackson?

Started by Patrick, 06 March, 2012, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

The Yellowed Pages, an excellent blog of scanned old comics, has just posted the first appearance of Union Jack Jackson in the Hotspur, back when the Hotspur was still a story paper and not a comic, in 1957. The cover's not quite as polished or assured as his later work, but it's unmistakably Ron Smith!

Spikes

Ah so it is. Great stuff, thats a lovely cover by Ron. Didnt some of his first published work date back to the 40's?
Been doing a bit of re-reading of Union Jack Jackson myself in some old 70's Warlord Annuals, guess  Hotspur and Warlord merged at some point then.

Patrick

Yeah, Ron was one of a group of artists who joined Amalgamated Press (as was) not long after WWII, including Mike Western and Eric Bradbury. I have a copy of the Knockout Fun Book from 1953 which has some spot illos by him on a western prose story, but they look much less like the Ron we know than this Hotspur cover does.

Patrick

I don't think the Hotspur ever merged with Warlord, and I know UJJ was in Warlord from issue 1 - he's on the cover (not, sadly, by Ron). They must have had a rummage for suitable characters they already had when they started Warlord.