Main Menu

Mike Dorey - anybody know anything about him?

Started by Patrick, 07 October, 2012, 12:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

As per the subject heading - anybody know anything about Mike Dorey? He drew easily the best Bill Savage in Invasion - while Carlos Pino and the others drew him as a standard square-jawed tough guy, Dorey's Savage was a grinning nutter who all the posh softies in the resistance were right not to trust. It's thanks to him having worked for 2000AD - on Ro-Busters and MACH Zero most memorably - that I know his name, and I can spot his unmistakable style on other comics - Hellman of Hammer Force in Action and Battle and Sergeant Rayker in Warlord come to mind. But I can't find any biographical information on him. I need to know these things, dammit.

atp

The freedom of choice should be compulsory

SmallBlueThing

Good to see one of the true heroes of that period of British comics getting a shout-out. Nice one.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 October, 2012, 02:44:22 PM
Good to see one of the true heroes of that period of British comics getting a shout-out. Nice one.

SBT

Recent re-reading of RoBusters has given me a new appreciation for Mike Dorey's work.  Sitting there confortably beside O'Neill, Gibbons and Kennedy his art has a murky, smoky grit that really delivers atmosphere - the sequence with Ro-Jaws and his tramp mate having a snuggle in the Minister's bed is one of the most memorable of the whole amazing run.

hippynumber1

I love Dorey's Ro-Jaws in particular - it's got a really grimy feel to it, almost like he's inked it with soot! LOVE it...

Fatboydale

Been trying to track him down for the past 7 years , he is not know to most of the writers or editors , i am thinking his name is a pseudonym ....

While i am here i am trying to track down Dave D'antiquis & Angie Kincaid ( Angie Mills ...pats ex wife )

glassstanley

Nearly 20 years ago he came to the Primary School I taught at and spent an afternoon with the children teaching them basic story telling. I came away with a sketch of Bill Savage!

This was in East Sussex, and he was booked by the then-head as part of a book week. He would have got the job through advertising to schools.

Hope this might help narrow down the search.

Patrick

Cheers guys. There's a thread on the ComicsUK board that suggests he went into advertising and became art director at a PR company. Don't know when that was.

He's sometimes credited as "J. Clough", and I assumed that was a pseudonym. Maybe that was his real name?

Can't help you on Dave or Angie, Fatboydale. You'd think with a name like "D'Antiquis" he'd be relatively easy to find, wouldn't you?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Patrick on 07 October, 2012, 11:28:40 PMYou'd think with a name like "D'Antiquis" he'd be relatively easy to find, wouldn't you?
I always assumed this was a pseudonym as, if you pronounce it like Walter the Wobot, it sounds like "the antichrist."
We never really die.

Large48

I think I have Dave's address (maybe an old one) from some artwork, although I was dealing with his son who I seem to remember said that his dad had retired?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Patrick

On a similar note, but not actually Tooth-related, there was an excellent artist called Chris Hogg who did some stuff in the small press in the 1990s (Tales of Skittle-Sharpers and Thimbe Riggers IIRC), an issue of Mal Coney's Holy Cross for Fantagraphics, and a couple of things for Dark Horse, but seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. Anybody know what happened to him?

Patrick