Main Menu

Cool beans, The future or the past in comics?

Started by Thread Zero, 01 April, 2002, 08:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Does any one subscribe to Cool Beans Productions?

It's that comic you can only access via a subscription and it's only on the net.

Anyone got a subscription? Is it any good?

I think it's a shame you can't buy it in mag form. Has some old 2k creators working for it. Apparently one its strips, 'Saintly', is going to be a CGI movie. And that's not an April fool!

I doubt the strips are any good.

I mean who wants cool beans when you can have them served hot?

scojo dinner lady

Jim_Campbell

> I doubt the strips are any good.

> I mean who wants cool beans when you can have them served hot?

Hmm. Had a rejection off them, then?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dominic O'Rourke

?25 for a year!

I don't think I would pay that unless there was some sort of physical comic that you received, eg I would pay extra for a 2kad subscription if this site began to offer original material (other than scojo's imagination) that you also received in some sort of solid state, maybe cd's of print runs, etc, but to pay 25 quid and not have anything to show for it, other than some digital work.
Member No. 10

The Amstor Computer

I've got a free trial subscription, courtesy of Borderline, and yes, Cool Beans World is worth shelling out for, if only for Marshal Law & Kingdom of the Wicked - as soon as my trial runs out, I'll be paying for a full subscription.

There is some trash in the mix though. Fistful of Blood is the worst offender, but cack like Torturer comes a close second.

Still, loads of Marshal Law, Kingdom of the Wicked, Astronauts in Trouble, White Death & The Last American? Can't go wrong :-)

Thread Zero

Hmm. Had a rejection off them, then?

Hell not me.

To misquote Bones from Star Trek:

I am a screenwriter* not a comic writer!

*Aspiring anyway.

Control judge:
Control to available unit.
Mutant Jim amok, Megazine Strip Slipway.

Dredd:
Dredd here, I'll take it!

scojo

Thread Zero

?25?

Is that how much it costs?

Blooming heck.

That cheap!

LOL

Can you save it and then print it off, I wonder...

scojo

Thread Zero

Free subscription?

Where, how, who?

Shame it isn't reprinted later on by a thrird party.

Titan or someone. How about it being reprinted in the Meg?

Hey that sounds a cool (beans!) idea.

Now where did I put the tin opener?

scojo

(for the tin of beans you see, oh forget it...)

Thread Zero

Anyone been to a thrird party?

No neither have I.

Third party I meant.

scojo embracing Tony Blair's thrird way

The Amstor Computer

Current issue of Borderline, #8 (hit the link at the bottom of this post). You'll have to be quick though - the new issue is out tomorrow, and the offer may well be dropped then.

Link: http://www.coolbeansworld.com/borderline/current.php" target="_blank">Borderline

The Amstor Computer

>>>Can you save it and then print it off, I wonder...<<<

If you've got the time & energy, yes. Each page of comic is divided into 16 JPG segments, IIRC. Save all of these & rebuild them as single JPG file, then import into Acrobat & you're done. It takes a while, but you've then got a readable PDF version of the comic.

I'd still prefer to be able to buy hard-copy versions & read online, but it's the next-best thing.

Jim_Campbell

>as soon as my trial runs out, I'll be paying for a full subscription.

Really? I've just been and had a look (the free sub from Borderline is still working, BTW) and, regardless of how good the content is, I _really_ don't like the site.

Firstly, it filled a whole window with Java errors, the lack of scroll bars on the main window means that I can't see everything (and on 17in monitor at  1024x768, that's ludicrous) and navigation is, erm, counter-intuitive to say the least.

And it loads like a dog.

Bleh.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Thread Zero

Yeah Jim, I looked at it and found it a bit difficult to navigate.

Thanks for the info on the subs Blackblood.

scojo

The Amstor Computer

>>>Really? I've just been and had a look (the free sub from Borderline is still working, BTW) and, regardless of how good the content is, I _really_ don't like the site.
Firstly, it filled a whole window with Java errors, the lack of scroll bars on the main window means that I can't see everything (and on 17in monitor at  1024x768, that's ludicrous) and navigation is, erm, counter-intuitive to say the least.
And it loads like a dog.<<<

Strange - what browser are you using? I've got Opera 6 running, and I've yet to encounter a single problem with the site. Load times haven't really been a huge problem either, despite accessing the site from a 56k connection.

If you are having problems, drop a line to the guys who run the site.

Mudcrab

I did for a while, but got pissed off waiting for things to download. Plus I don't think comics were ever meant to be read on a radioactive screen. I have to stare at one all day as it is, so I like my comics there in front, in print.

Obviously the animated stuff is ok, but too short and again far too long to download if you don't have the sacred broadband. I've got a good connection at work, but it still pissed me off waiting for things.

Also (apologies if it's already on this thread) comics2film.com have reported that they're doing a full length CGI movie of Saintly Saintly by Pat Mills. Sounds good.

Link: I'm sure you can work it out.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Thread Zero

Doug, I agree 100% with ya.

The future of comics is DEFINITELY not via the net or even PFD thingys.

Staring at a screen is a very poor substitute for good old fashioned comics in your hand.

That's why I think 2k downloaded to the fans in virtual format is a major no-no.

Seriously, all those who want old 2k progs via PDF should try downloading and reading comics from the net.

Try Cool Beans. It's like having root canal work done on your teeth by Judge Death's father!

Painful!

scojo