Main Menu

The Bogie Man – Help!

Started by Dudley, 11 January, 2005, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

I'm not alone in this, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I have never watched Casablance.  In fact, I don't think I've ever watched a movie with Humphrey Bogart in it.

Yes, I'm a philistine.  Yes, I'm a fool.  But, more than that, I think I'm probably missing out on a fair few jokes in the Bogie Man.

Would any kind, knowledgeable and intelligent person be willing to put together a sort of "guide to..." the first couple of episodes?

ARRISARRIS

...your not alone, apart from 'play it again Sam', which ive been told he never really said, im in the dark too...

Max Kon

I've never watched Casablance (I'm young, can't have done everything by 16). I have watched one of Boggie's (To Have and Have Not)a couple of times and a docu on him, jolly good, it's where he met his wife.

paulvonscott

You should watch Casablanca as this features in the new series.  It's on DVD and your local chain video shop might have it.  Also, The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, The Big Sleep,  anything with Bogie in basically.

Keep watching the dyatime TV schedules, kid!

GordonR

Don't forget The African Queen.  And The Petrified Forest.  And The Roaring Twenties.

paulvonscott

The only one I own is Key Largo on dvd, if anyone wants to send it on a tour of the message board, thats fine.  I'd even swap it for something else.  Great film, I wouldn't say it's a key to the Bogie Man or anything though.

Byron Virgo

Can't believe no-one's mentioned The Treasure of the Sierra Madre ("Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!"), The Desperate Hours, Dark Passage or In A Lonely Place yet.

Oddboy

Casablanca is the only Bogie film I've seen.

We got Oddgirl's mum a boxset of Bogie films for Christmas - I was very tempted to break it open & watch them all before wrapping it up, but I didn't.
It had Casablanca, Maltease Falcon, the Big Sleep & Key Largo in it.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Byron Virgo

Saw the even longer version of The Big Sleep at the NFT a coupleof years ago, which was interesting, as the film wasn't quite as confusing as the shorter version, but somehow not quite as goodfor it.

Queen Firey-Bou

casablanca's one of those films ive been desperate to watch for years, i can't believe ive never seen it, i mean why do they repeat endless shite & never play stuff like this on terra-limited-nothing-on-ever-but-friends tele ?

every time theres one of those fugging '100 greatest films you've never been able to see' programmes it really peees me off, all those teasing tasters & never the fecking films. we are in the age of the three second attention span info bite information cramm vacuum. grrr.

Jared Katooie

Yeah! (?)

I only saw two Bogie films but they were both good stuff. "Top of the world, ma!" What film was that? That was great.

Byron Virgo

Jared Katooie

Knew that was Cagneys line but I think Bogart was in that one too.

Byron Virgo

Bogart wasn't in White Heat. But they were both in The Roaring Twenties (1939).

James

I've never seen any Bogart films. In fact I have never seen many films I should have. Like Apocalypse Now. And Psycho. And many many more apparrent classics. I've made a new years resolution to watch more important films.