Main Menu

Pre-cog moments in Dredd and Cabs; Prog 1422

Started by Trout, 19 January, 2005, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

SPOILERS!

This post gives details of the endings of Dredd and Caballistics in Prog 1422.

Okay, so who's going to die?

Am I misreading it, or has coincidence handed us predictions of the deaths of a male character in both Dredd and Caballistics this week?

Either way, it's a damn good excuse for the board to indulge in wild speculation!

Who wants to go first?

- Trout

The Monarch

I have no idea on dredd but Its slater in cabs ain't it i mean its obvious that ravne has offed him

Bad Andy

The vibe I got from Dredd was that she was just premonitioning (surely that's not right) some poor cit's death. The tek judge had said she has already been producing the results.

As for the excellents Cabs and the return of Mr Magister - who knows? I doubt its Slater as if Ravne has killed him (Don't reckon) Magister hasn't touched him.

It could be anyone "He's going to kill -"

The prime minister
You (Ness)
Everyone!
Full stop.

cleverly written

Oddboy

Or even "He's going to... Kilimanjaro."
Better set your phaser to stun.

Krustabi

Dredd - She could be talking about Dredd, or possible Rico confusion.

Cabs - "He's going to kill..." Lots of people?

Lord Running Clam

Cabs-Did I miss who the man on the island was?

DavidXBrunt

Have you read the story in Prog 2005? Similar moments in a comic like this are not rare. Look at the Euthenasia stuff in Dredd and 2nd City Blues in the aforementioned Christmas Prog. The rare thing is that it's done by John Wagner and another writer and that other writer did it better.

No diservice intended to John, he's the best writer in British comics, the most consistantly good writer in comics anywhere, but here Gordon has done it much better.

Carlsborg Expert.

Kabuto will die in cabbalistics ~as~nod~to~Giants~game~for~the~pc
Some red overbodied Judge with a name like Craven in Dredd~!~!~!~

El Spurioso

To be honest, when I read the Dredd story, I took that last panel to just be an illustration of her being used in a general precog capacity - having a vision of some street-level cit murder.  I think if we *had* been intended to wring our hands and say "oooh -- someone important's going to die...", John would have made it a rather more significant moment.

Maybe.  I could be wrong.

Oddboy

I thought it was just a joe cit she was talking about, BUT I thought that the moment did seem significant, it is the final panel in the last part of what I shall now call 'the Total War Trilogy', after all!

Byron Virgo

I don't think that the Dredd thing will lead anywhere. It's just something non-specific that people have read more into than was actually there.

As for Cabs...well, knowing Rennie, he doesn't mind sacrificing his major characters. I would assume Ness (as Kostabi's pawn) at first actually, but this may be too obvious. Brand could well be in line, since he would be completely unexpected, although this would end the whole Brand/Demon Jenny storyline that has been simmering along throughout the series. But Chapter and Verse haven't really had much to do in the last couple of series, so my suspicion is that it's going to be one of them or Ness.

Of course, if you follow Magister's previous form, he'll escape, kill a couple of characters, and then be recaptured or killed, so your guess is as good as mine.

Oddboy

Also worth remembering: Just because Kostabi is going to kill someone - it doesn't mean that he will succeed. How much does Kostabi know about what the Inc. get up to? Slater used to keep him update - but he's gone. Ravne is obviously digging up dirt on Kostabi, as so is probably hoping Kostabi doesn't know about their current mission.
Ness was recruited directly by Kostabi, but we don't know if he's spying on the group for him - his character suggests that he's not the subtle spying type, not the sort of bloke to grass up his work-mates to the big boss.
Does Kostabi even know that Jenny's been possessed by a demon?

Byron Virgo

Oh, I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that Kostabi knows all about Jenny...

Thing is, we don't really know who, or WHAT, Kostabi is. But I'm pretty positive that Ness is more in his employ than the oothers, since he was obviously specifically told to kill the rock ponce if there was any sign of betrayal, a fact that the others were clearly not conversant with.

GordonR

Slater was present during the events of Krystalnachat, so, yes, we can assume Kostabi knows about Demon Jenny.

The scene with what happened to Nox kinda implies Ness takes his orders directly from the boss, so you can assume the flow of info goes both ways.  If I were the rest of the team, I'd keep my eye on the big lad.

Kostabi will be making his first real appearance in the strip this year.  We will find out what happened to Slater.  We haven't seen Ravne's three little playmates for a while, so they'll be back.

A trip to Bonnie Scotland and some surprising inter-team romantic entanglements are also on the cards.

Byron Virgo

Ah, Scotland - Land of Romance.

A bottle of scotch in one hand, and a pretty lassie in the other.