Main Menu

Prog 1425: Earth Warrior

Started by Noisybast, 06 February, 2005, 08:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Yay! By ever so eeky-sneaky means, I've read this first. How'd you like them apples?

Cover: Yet another Clint Langley Slaine cover. Same as all the rest, but it scores me a point in the Fantasy Football, so OK.

Judge Dredd: Another effective post-Total War story, concentrating on the effects of the disaster on the cits. Looks like we're getting a visit from an old baddie next prog. Nicely rendered by D'Isreali. Not too sure about the last panel, though...

Second City Blues: More of the same. I'm pretty much waiting 'til it's finished, and I'll read it back in one go.

Slaine: This might come as a complete surprise, but, well, he's not dead. Yawn...

Low Life: Dirty Frank in Rob Zombie lookalike shocker! Best line of the prog: "Dirty Frank is gay." Bit odd not having Flint on art duties, but Simon Coleby does a good job.

Nikolai Dante: Trundling along nicely. Burns' art's lovely, as ever. Starting to go a bit The Thing now. Could hot up considerably...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Amstor Computer

Lucky bugger...

BTW - any chance the "old baddie" is the vampiric beastie from the Meg story by Rennie & Irving?

Noisybast

DavidXBrunt

Cover - more of the same Slaine type stuff.

Dredd - Ooooh, Wagner and D'Israeli. Now that is what I call a quality team. It would be a first if Wagner continued another droids story wouldn't it? I don't thin it is going to be a follow up to the story hinted at in previous posts.

2nd City Blues - A good episode, lots of fun and an interesting cliffhanger. It's getting better as it goes along is this strip.

Slaine - Getting better when it comes to a stop. I look forward to whatever replaces this.

Low Life - Now here's a surprise, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did, the art and script click and they jokes are actually funny.

Dante - Not much new to say about this. I'm glad it's back and it's very well done. I likee lots.

The Amstor Computer

Having read the prog, a couple of quick comments:

1) I don't think the Dredd is going to be following up GRennie & R-Ving's Meg shocker. IIRC, the beastie referred to was the spider creature that has appeared in a couple of previous tales.

2) What's that? A FULL PAGE AD for Rebellion's trades? Keep this up, chaps! Probably would be a good idea to make sure that all of the trades shown were actually available from your online shop, though ;-)

More in a bit...

WoD

Dante is a definite nod to The Thing...

Noisybast

"I don't think the Dredd is going to be following up GRennie & R-Ving's Meg shocker"

It's the spider-vampire shapeshifting alien thingy that was reprinted in a recent EE isn't it?

The Amstor Computer

Yep - that's the one. I'd still quite like to see a follow-up to the other beastie, though. It's still somewhere down in the Undercity...

McNulty

And so to my comments...

Judge Dredd Another excellent post-Total War story. The twist was quite unexpected, and I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Second City Blues Not a terrible story. Readable.

Slaine Frankly, the goddess can have her upside down world. It was time that Slaine got back to Tara. And when's Ukko coming back into the stories?

Low Life Nice to see Dirty Frank graduating from a supporting character to being the focus of a story. I just hope he can play guitar...

Nikola Dante Once again, Dante comes in a close second behind Dredd as my favour strip this week. Good story, good art. Nuff said.

Dudley

The Prog in order of genius -

1. Shakara discovers GREEN!

2. Dante.  I like Kraken, the old immortal bearded psychotic psychic pirate bio-weapon possessed shapeshifting ninja.  And I love the art.

3. Low Life.  Dirty Frank, the man who speaks only in quotable quotes.  Yay!  (Any chance of an explanation of why he's not dead?  Or maybe he'll die at the end of every adventure?  Sort of like a crusty version of Kenny?)

4. Dredd - I like D'Israeli.  Hell, I love D'Israeli and I want to have his children.  But I don't like his skinny-legged Dredd.  Great dialogue from Wagner brings the quality up.

5. Second City Blues.  Meh.  Warming to the art, I guess.  Sort of.

6. Slaine cover.  Langley discovers beige.

7. Slaine.  Dreck.  Uncle Mills' gravy train rolls on.

GermanAndy

Nice cover.

DREDD: I like these post Total War storys. And D?sraeli is always a joy artwise.

SECOND CITY: Sorry, I thought this dull from day 1. Not my cup of tea.

SLAINE: If this lovely artwork just would have a readable story attached ...

LOW LIFE: Nice start. I miss Flint, but they kept the style. This series is so defined by Flint, I wonder what it would look drawn by say D?Israeli or Kennedy.

DANTE: Nice one. Not terribly epic or important, but fun.

Noisybast

"If this lovely artwork just would have a readable story attached ... "

Nope, I think the artwork, impressive though it is, actually detracts from the story. I mean, the story's thin enough as it is, without being swamped by an insanely busy, overly murky, CG-assisted, My-Guy photo-strip. If anything, this is a step down from Mark Harrison's similarly pretty-but-dense artwork on Durham Red.

Byron Virgo

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but the picture of the missing son in Judge Dredd appears to be the D'emon D'raughtsman himself, D'Ireali.

Noisybast

Noisybast