Main Menu

Axel Pressbutton help

Started by Grant Goggans, 03 March, 2006, 10:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Can anybody point me to, or otherwise explain, Axel Pressbutton's publishing history?  There are two Eclipse Comics series, "Axel Pressbutton" and "Laser Eraser and Pressbutton."  Are those all reprints of the Warrior series, or do they mix new strips with reprints?  I thought they were reprints since some of the strips are so short, but I can't find some of them, like the kinky "one last kiss before the world slips asunder" one in Warrior.

It's very confusing.  But it's such a fun strip it cries out - TITAN! - for some kind of comprehensive reprint.  Especially with all that nice Steve Dillon artwork.

Art

Isn't there some kind of natural law that dictates that anything that's come near Dez Skinn ends up in some kind of hellish legal limbo?

Trough

IIRC, they're both part of the same print run, i.e.: "Axel Pressbutton" was renamed "Laser Eraser..."

As far as I know they were all reprints.

This is all from memory, and therefore probably completely wrong.

I think the rights are all over the place, hence no collected editions.   Shame.   I would love to see them in a nice big shiny collected book.

House of Usher

It's a fossil. A glossy prestigious reprint album of Axel Pressbutton would lose money. Maybe it could be collected up with other Steve Dillon comedy strips like Hap Hazzard, but on its own I can't see it making money as anything more fancy than a stapled comic.
STRIKE !!!

+rufus+

Axel Pressbutton is owned by the writer Steve Moore.
 Atomeka Press (A1 Comics) will be doing an Axel Pressbutton collection hopefully this year.
   I'm gonna redraw one of the strips that Steve was unhappy with.
I'll ask Garry Leach about the publishing history. I believe it started in a music paper.
Rufus

House of Usher

Nice going, Atomeka Press. I might buy it if it's not too expensive. Any idea how many pages?

As to Laser Eraser and Axel Pressbutton - what, they renamed the title, foregrounding Laser Eraser? Was she his girlfriend?
STRIKE !!!

greylurker01

Axel atarted in "Sounds" with "the stars my degredation" then went to "Warrior". The eclipse  series reprinted some, and the "Laser Eraser series continued with some new stuff. Zirk has appeared in lots of titles but mostly A1."stars..." has never been reprinted.

Grant Goggans

Thanks for the information, everyone.  I wish Wikipedia had a more comprehensive article.

Rufus, what can you tell us about Atomeka's collection?  How complete are we talking about?

Wils

Axel atarted in "Sounds" with "the stars my degredation"

Not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I think prior to this, his debut was in Dark Star(?) in a story in which he died. He may have also been in the Three-Eyes McGurk story (also in DS or was that Sounds?), but I can't remember for certain.

maryanddavid

As far as I remember, Axel started in sounds, with Steve Moore writing and Curt(Alan Moore)Vile on art, then A Moore took over writing and art.
Then Warrior, with Perdo(Steve Moore)Henry writing and dillon on art.
Towards the end of the Warrior run Alan Davis took over on art in a story that was never finished in warrior.
Then eclipse did a six issue series reprinting warrior and finishing the warrior run called Axel Pressbutton.
The second six issue series was called Laser Eraser and Pressbutton, which was new material, and iirc Mike Collins handled some of the art.
ther was also a spin off story called Ertgan(sp?)
about laser erasers clone mother, with art by Cam Kennedy. This story was reprinted in one of the american series.
The american series also had some deadly covers by Bolland and Leach.
He also appeared in the first issue of Blast!, in a new story by Moore and Dillon.
he may have appeared in some of the A1 books as well.
The above is from memory, so I may be corrected.

david

Wils

he may have appeared in some of the A1 books as well.

From memory as well, I think that was a text story with illustrations by Glenn Fabry.

spin off story called Ertgan(sp?)

I'm pretty sure that she was called Elektryn, but yet again, I may be wrong. ;)

Tiplodocus

Wasn'tr it Ektryn?

There was some terrible attempt to shoehorn as many Warrior stories into the one universe at some point (I think when Dez Skinn ended up writing everything).

Christ, Warrior was good for the first dozen or so issues.  Leach's art in M*rvelman and the All Girl Amazon Attack Battallion was gorgeous.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Grant Goggans

I'm up through #15 in a reread and I think the good stuff outweighed the bad for a little while longer.  This Shandor, Demon Stalker thing was always pretty poor, and there's not nearly enough Bojeffries, but as long as an issue had Marvelman, V and Pressbutton, it was a pleasure to read.