Main Menu

Submission Cover Letter

Started by shane05, 08 March, 2005, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane05

I'm going to take a go at submitting some work, with the focal company being 2000AD. I have no real idea what to put in the cover letter. They see so many of these, I don't know if it will even matter, but I don't want to come off like a, that's right, twat. (that's twice now for you keeping track)

Any ideas?

ukdane

I assume you've read this:

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=submissions" target="_blank">Submissions guidelines

Cheers

-Daney

shane05

I have, thanks.

The thing is, I could be all 'I've done this and this and yadda yadda' but they'll just look at the work and all the other stuff won't matter, I'm guessing. But I don't want to just say:

Hi.

Here's my submission. thanks.

Y'know?

Jared Katooie

I say you should just keep it brief and to the point Shane.

Just give a brief account of what you've done to give them an idea and the say that you're a fan who'd like the chance to work for the comic.

The art samples are the important thing do. They'll probably decide in a fe seconds whether they're interested or not.

I've seen your stuff and I think it's pretty darn good (Your Dredd springs to mind). I think you have a good chance of getting in. Good luck!

-Pulger-

>and the say that you're a fan who'd like the chance to work for the comic.

Is that such a good thing? Isn?t it better to say you?re an aspiring professional artist?

Wils

You could always offer to tongue the Rosette of Sirius... ;)

Jared Katooie

"Is that such a good thing? Isn?t it better to say you?re an aspiring professional artist?"

Yeah, I told him to say that too.

GordonR

As someone said, keep it brief and polite.  No need to go on about your credentials as a 2000AD fan - the sample artwork you send should do that for you, and include some recognisable 2000AD characters.  Dredd is usually the favourite, but some others - Rogue, Sin-Dex, Lobster Random, Dante, whatever - might catch their attention and show that you actually do read the comic.

Send them a page or two of sample strip work, not just pretty illutration pieces from your portfolio.  They want to see that you can tell a story.

If you've got any previously published stuff, be sure to mention that in the covering letter and, if possible, send them a copy.  As well as good artists, they've looking for people with a proven track record in hitting deadlines and working to an editorial brief.

Good luck with your submission.

Quirkafleeg

Nothing more to ad than keep it short an polite... it can be nothing more than: here's some sample artwork/a script plus synopsis. I've been previously published in X (pro credits even if unrelated). My contact details are. Hope you will be interested. Yours etc...

Also there's sample scripts on this site - give you something to work from.

Funtwangle

include money

and a picture of yourself standing in front of the editors house with a bomb strapped to your chest

GordonR

And sign your letter 'scojo'.  That'll get their attention and ensure a prompt response.

Quirkafleeg

"PS: Publish this and you can have your bike back."

Trout

Pretend you're Gordon Rennie's best friend.

That'll work.*

Good luck!

- Trout

* Not after those Meg columns, it won't.

shane05

Thanks alot for your well wishes and suggestions.

It does seem to be a fine line between professional and fan. Seems you can't be one without the other, maybe not more one than the other also.

---anyone heard that Rob Zombie song (more human than human?) where the girl has the orgasm in the opening? well, it just came on the radio and I completely lost my thought.---

anyway, thanks.

pauljholden

A simple three paragraph letter, one para introducing you, and why you're writing, one paragraph detailing something you've done that's relevent (list of small press stuff maybe?) and final paragraph a polite sign off. (I also used to include a second sheet detailing an entire list of everything I'd ever had published). It helps a bit of Tharg has already seen your work in some of the small press 'zines (I know Andy seemed to read a lot of these - not sure how much Matt does)

Include a stamped self addressed envelope and between three and five pages of sequential comic art (from the SAME strip). Post if off and then forget about it - you could get a response between 1 day and several months later (or possibly years) and it's better if you're plugging away on other things. Get involved in small press stuff (if you aren't already). Get a portfolio together and go to Bristol - bring that same work you posted BUT also bring newer work (with photocopies) - show the newer work first. If asked about the submission show the submitted stuff (hopefully the time between sending the submission and going to Bristol will allow your work to improve - the more dramatic the improvement the better).

Don't get discouraged if Tharg:
a) doesn't appear to like what you're doing (keep evolving your style and when you feel it's at a different enough point send more samples)

b) Doesn't think what you're doing is in a 2000AD style (pinning down a 2000AD style is difficult - it helps if you do some 2000AD strip work as samples or something similair)

c) Would love to give you some work but there isn't anything open at the moment (send samples periodically or follow whatever advice Tharg's representative on earth gives)

These are all Tharg's way of telling you to keep plugging away - IMHO getting a break in comics is more a marathon than a sprint (and that first break is easier than the second or third...)

And the final bit of advice: don't feel that the be all and end all of a comic book career is 2000AD! send samples everywhere!

- pj
ps and go to Bristol!
pps Good luck