Main Menu

prog 1831 : After Shocks!

Started by Darren Stephens, 04 May, 2013, 11:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Cover : Terrific wrap-around effort from Ben Wllsher. Would love him to do another painted one, though. His painting skills are immense.

Dredd: Nice flash-back usage, with the recorder.....thingy. Some lovely art from PJ, who just gets better n better.

Dandridge: Mmmm, well sort of glad it's over. Like I said last week, seems to have stayed on a little too long. Not terrible, but hardly great.

3Thriller: Really good. Love the idea behind it. The comic page interludes work very well and Boo Cooks art is staggering. A classic, including last week amazing cover, unless something goes very wrong with next weeks final part. ;-P

Stickleback: More of the same. Lovely to look at and some brilliant dialogue.

Zombo: Hilarious script, as usual with some sublime Flint art. Zombos face in the final panel is just great!

There's a great Cliff Robinson full pager for the new Sin/Dex thing, presumably next weeks cover?
Good, solid prog.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Mattofthespurs

JamesC

I was going to write a review but then realised it would be exactly the same as last week's!

Re: the Sin Dex advert. I know it's Cliff Robinson inks but I have a feeling someone else may have done the pencils?

Darren Stephens

Quote from: JamesC on 04 May, 2013, 11:34:05 AM
Re: the Sin Dex advert. I know it's Cliff Robinson inks but I have a feeling someone else may have done the pencils?

Possibly. Maybe Dylan Teague had a hand in there, too? They seem to team-up quite often.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tjm86

Quote from: JamesC on 04 May, 2013, 11:34:05 AM

Aye, I was having trouble placing it.  Notice that John Byrne is down as artist. hmmm.

Anyway, highlight was Dredd with 3riller a close second.  This Zombo is really not doing anything for me.  Great art but it's not engaging me.  Same goes for Dandridge and Stickleback.  Still, even on it's worst day tooth is still head and shoulders above the best that some competitors put out.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 May, 2013, 11:53:20 AM
Notice that John Byrne is down as artist. hmmm.

Ahem. John Burns. Not the same thing at all!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 May, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

Cheers

Jim
Oh, quite forgot about Burnsy on Sin/Dex. Something to look foreward to. Alas my prog did not materialise and have to wait tilll Tuesday to get it. :(

Pete Wells

That Willsher cover is a joy!

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 May, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

Cheers

Jim

and the sleep deprivation wins over again.  Thought twas a bit odd.

Bolt-01

Ben Willsher wraparound cover... Hmmm

Top proggage all round chaps.

Fisticuffs

Another cracking prog with a great cover. Truly we are not worthy! :D

Colin YNWA

Busy day, quick review, all good, but not great. Zombo on a little bit of a low ebb for me this week, the wit was more telegraphed and cheap. Dandridge ended kinda okay, but the last panel really grated. Not hankering for a return on this one. Dredd was really nice, Stickleback okay star was 3riller, no Mathmatica but still very, very good.

JUDGE BURNS

Great cover with the ruined Statue of Judgement in the background and Dredd walking through the ruins.

A really good prog with only Dandridge holding it back. Glad its finished and can look forward to a new thrill next week. Sinister and Dexter are back.   :)

McNulty

Great prog again, with Zombo as my personal choice for best this week.

Mister Macheath

Really solid cover by the Willshdroid! Great colours, dynamic, although I would have to agree that it would be nice to see him do a painted one.

Dredd is trucking along really nicely, brilliant plot device with the scanner thinger too. As much as I really liked some elements of the last story, this is WAY more my kinda thing. PJ's art is looking fantastic as ever although the colours do feel quite murky to me. Then again quite a murky story so, y'know, that's cool.

What was next, Gunheadz? No real surprises this week and a wee bit of a downer after the oomph of the previous installment. Feels like the filler in what could turn out to be a tasty sandwich though, we'll see. I do like the 'Aitken' art, the NAZI origin panels were brills.

Dandridge wrapped up at last. I started off enjoying this well enough this for an issue or two (the writing if not the art) but it just turned into such a slog. Definitely the fly in the ointment. Have to agree with Colin that that last panel was a serious stinker too. Yuck.

Having been fleeting between ambivalent and downright disliking Stickleback, this week felt like it was going places, maybe, and even the ol' heartstrings got a wee tug. Again though I think my main problem with this is that it just feels so disjointed. Every week seems to be a little vignette story that works well enough on its own but the overarching plot really suffers.

Sadly Zombo wasn't really on top of its game, which is a shame as I've really been enjoying this run for the most part. I really like the [spoiler]renouncing renouncing war[/spoiler] Padre though and every panel with him in it brought a smile to my face.

So, not a tremendous prog for me this week, but I can content myself with the fact that on Saturday I also picked up the FCBD prog and IDW Dredd, as well as a ton of 80s progs and trades from a local second hand bookshop that the nice chap had got out of storage for me specially.