Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteThings could have been a lot worse, and so Democrats and Republicans alike need to recognise that and ensure those responsible for this mess face consequences.

That's something I hadn't really thought of before.  Punishing as many people as possible won't just show that trespassing, breaking and killing are a bad idea - it will also show that trying to turn the US into a fascist dictatorship has consequences too.

Not to say it's any great shakes as a democracy as it is, but you know, it isn't Mussolini-era Italy just yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 January, 2021, 11:36:40 AM
For all the issues of a Thatcher or a Bush, they worked within existing systems and norms. Now, we face people installed through terrible voting systems who are out to destroy such systems and make it harder to take on the executive.

This is why I am actually quite concerned about Cummings / Farage.  the former has gone quiet but he very publicly departed from Downing Street.  There was no doubt he was going and not coming back and he was making damn sure everyone knew it.  So the question is what is the bar-steward up to?

As for Farage and his new "Reform" party, just consider his track record.  He has pulled UK politics sharply to the right with his Euroscepticism.  He has a track record of outright and dog-whistle racism / discrimination.  He has contributed to the polarisation of political debate in this country.

The devil may well be in the detail but what reform is he actually after?  I mean, we all know that the outrageously antiquated voting system in this country is unfit for purpose.  Tory boundary reforms are simply going to make matters worse, not to mention giving nationalists ammunition with their reduction in Scottish and Welsh seats.  Is he actually offering anything productive though?

Personally I am absolutely disgusted with the performance of politicians in recent years in the UK.  The extent to which the electorate has been exploited for personal political gain (in Cameron's case resoundingly disastrously) is beyond belief.  Considering the depths to which politicians have descended prior to this in our lifetime, their performance is terrifying.

What is most outrageous is the half-wits and charlatans that have now been installed in positions of power not just in politics but across national institutions. :sick:

Funt Solo

Well - typical behavior from those European wallahs! I shall write an angry letter to the Times - you see if I don't. Johnny Foreigner can't bally well stop a good old-fashioned English British sarnie! We didn't fight the war so that blah blah Blitz spirit etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

One of the Capitol rioters must have been reading our politics thread:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 January, 2021, 09:26:04 PM

Well - typical behavior from those European wallahs! I shall write an angry letter to the Times - you see if I don't. Johnny Foreigner can't bally well stop a good old-fashioned English British sarnie! We didn't fight the war so that blah blah Blitz spirit etc.

I think I've just spotted some tired chickens on their way home. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

A second impeachment. He continues to win bigly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 January, 2021, 11:52:38 PM
A second impeachment. He continues to win bigly.

Half of all US Presidential Impeachments have happened in the last two years. Trump's presidency was unprecedented, and he should have been unpresidented.
You may quote me on that.

Bolt-01

Isn't one of the points of 'this' impeachment that they can now stop him from running again? I can see that as being a very desirable thing for both sides of the house.

Rately

Reading this morning that he is refusing to pay Rudy Giuliani's Legal Fees.  :lol:

Truly, the worst people.

Smith

Teddy Spaghetti aka Vox Day aka Theodore Beale still high on copium. If THE PLAN isnt happening,you need to trust harder.  :lol:

https://archive.fo/G8SWH

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 January, 2021, 08:25:05 AM
Isn't one of the points of 'this' impeachment that they can now stop him from running again? I can see that as being a very desirable thing for both sides of the house.

There were reportedly a significant number of Republicans who wanted to vote for impeachment, but didn't for fear of their lives and those of their families. That's only likely to get worse between now and any vote on conviction... I don't think there's a chance in hell Trump will get convicted, because he's so thoroughly intimidated so many Republican politicians.

Also, they have no spines.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Smith on 14 January, 2021, 09:35:59 AM
Teddy Spaghetti aka Vox Day aka Theodore Beale still high on copium. If THE PLAN isnt happening,you need to trust harder.  :lol:

Christ. Literally mentally ill.

I've had to mute a few relatives on Facebook because they believe this stuff. Strangely, every time i go down the rabbit hole of concern over vaccines, coups, multi-culturism ( wink, wink ) etc. it nearly always leads back to far right grifters and their anti-semitism, racism and hatred.

One cousin is forever calling me a sheep, whilst posting from the likes of OANN, Newsmax and fringe arseholes like Grand Torino on FB. Challenge him, and he laughs, and says I've been brainwashed by the Mainstream Media, and them Doctors and Scientists with their facts, figures and Degrees.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 January, 2021, 09:48:13 AM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 January, 2021, 08:25:05 AM

There were reportedly a significant number of Republicans who wanted to vote for impeachment, but didn't for fear of their lives and those of their families. That's only likely to get worse between now and any vote on conviction... I don't think there's a chance in hell Trump will get convicted, because he's so thoroughly intimidated so many Republican politicians.

Also, they have no spines.

That a week removed from an attempted Coup, they are trying to quickly gloss over it and downplay it, tells you all you need to know about the Republican party. They made a pact with an utter Devil, and are paying a price. If CNN are right, and there is worse evidence regarding the coup, and even worse footage from inside the Capitol Building still to be made public, those who vote against convicting Trump are literally pissing their good name and standing for a man who has only offered threat and intimidation to them.

Smith

Quote from: Rately on 14 January, 2021, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: Smith on 14 January, 2021, 09:35:59 AM

Christ. Literally mentally ill.

I've had to mute a few relatives on Facebook because they believe this stuff. Strangely, every time i go down the rabbit hole of concern over vaccines, coups, multi-culturism ( wink, wink ) etc. it nearly always leads back to far right grifters and their anti-semitism, racism and hatred.

One cousin is forever calling me a sheep, whilst posting from the likes of OANN, Newsmax and fringe arseholes like Grand Torino on FB. Challenge him, and he laughs, and says I've been brainwashed by the Mainstream Media, and them Doctors and Scientists with their facts, figures and Degrees.
Ted is a complete lolcow. Or EL-O-EL cow as he pronounced it. We are talking self described 150 IQ genius,musician,game designer,columnist,martial artist,son of a tax fraud and wannabe cult leader Robert Beale...The lore is practically bottomless.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 14 January, 2021, 10:02:04 AM
If CNN are right, and there is worse evidence regarding the coup, and even worse footage from inside the Capitol Building still to be made public

What I've seen already — 'protestors' moving through the building with very clear knowledge of the layout,* coupled with reports of far-right Republican members of congress leading multiple tours of people who've been tentatively identified as 'protestors' through the building the day before plus at least one Democrat reporting that the 'panic buttons' had been physically removed from their office... it's hard not to conclude that some groups in that crowd were a lot more organised than just an angry mob.

*I don't mean just looking like they knew where they were going — I mean, video of them discussing which way to go, what lies beyond closed doors, where to go to find a specific person's office. They were in the building, they knew the layout, and, perhaps most alarmingly, they were sufficiently confident that no one was going to arrest or shoot them that they could stand around discussing which way to go next.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.