Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 October, 2013, 10:00:43 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2013, 09:55:33 AM
Now I generally find Mehdi Hasan a worrying sort of public figure, a fiercely eloquent man apparently encumbered with antique religious beliefs that I find difficult to square with his obvious intelligence and insight, but how could anyone not enjoy this evisceration of a toerag and his masters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIvARoGbS4

I'm no fan of Alastair (no relation) Campbell, but, despite his many faults, he's both articulate and intelligent and I couldn't help but enjoy his merciless pummelling of Mail deputy editor Jon Steafel on Newsnight.

Cheers

Jim

Re: The Daily Mail - "The worst of British values posing as the best".
Seems like a pretty fair summary.

Having said that, about 70% of British newspaper content is irresponsible, disgusting shit.

Hawkmumbler

Agreed. But the Mail gets extra hate points from me. How many papers can claim to have actualy printed an article so mean spirited and spiteful it actualy caused a woman to commit suicide?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Mister Pops on 04 October, 2013, 12:06:23 PM
How Much Are YOU Hated by the Daily Mail

Ha, looks like they hate me then. Funny that cause I think they're* an absolute bunch of C**TS who are only interested in peddling Bullshit propaganda and jive-ass nonsense.

Cheers

*Daily Mail, not even good for wiping your arse with
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

JamesC

von Boom

Hated by the Mail. Well done me.

The Legendary Shark

I think most papers despise their readers, judging by the bullsh*t they serve up and the stories they ignore.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

the day I don't feel hated by the Daily Mail, I'll just lie down and you can kick the dirt over me.

COMMANDO FORCES

Great news about it being the most read News Site on the planet :thumbsup:

Frank

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 October, 2013, 10:40:11 PM
Great news about it being the most read News Site on the planet :thumbsup:

Unbelievably, that's not actually true, John. If you've ever looked at their website, you'll know that it's not the Mail's op-ed pieces or investigative journalism which are the primary drivers of traffic either.

COMMANDO FORCES

Never looked at it, I always look at the left leaning sites to back my little bits up. I heard the hypocrite say it in that clip.

JamesC

I think the 'I' is about the best newspaper I've read lately - in terms of just getting the gist of things.

There was a time (not too long ago) that even papers like the Sun or Mirror were fairly reliable for just getting a concise, sort of bullet point version, of world events. (These days you're more likely to get despicable judgements about someone's private life).

I tend to use papers as a way of flagging up stories which I may be interested in and then I'll read up on them elsewhere. God help us if people are still reading papers like the Mail and taking it as gospel!

The Doctor Alt 8

TordelBack

Meanwhile, we in the Banana Republic get to keep our upper house, despite the referendum to remove it being proposed by a government with a monstrous majority.  Now our Seanad is far from democratic and less than effective, but it's mildly heartening to see that the tiny proportion of the electorate who actually voted yesterday can stop a change that would significantly reduce the checks on the power of a government they also elected.  Hopefully this will also be seen as an endorsement of reform of how that house is appointed and operates.

Anyway, any body that counts William 'Monkey Glands' Yeats, Brian Friel, Gordon Wilson, my old archaeology professor, and generally at least some folk who don't spend their careers getting motorways built to their constituencies, among its alumni can't be all bad.