Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 January, 2017, 02:15:06 PM
Someone needs to un-twist their knickers, sit down and realize you can't isolate Nazism and expect us to just roll with the 'free speech' speal. Free speech my arse. They're entitled to say what the fuck they want but the second they start advocating genocide they can expect physical resistance.

At the risk of sounding as rude as yourself: you need to learn to read properly!
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Pot, meet kettle.

It's funny how folk can get so offended when their bullshit gets called out on. But of course, continue to equate resistance to genocide if they're both 'equally wrong', i'll just wait here.

Hawkmumbler

Because have you ever noticed how it's always CisHet White/Christian MEN, who stand up for so called 'Free speech'. A nazi can do or say anything in the name of free speech but the second anyone retaliates 'Oh no, you cant be doing that!'. Cunts.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 January, 2017, 02:27:28 PM
Because have you ever noticed how it's always CisHet White/Christian MEN, who stand up for so called 'Free speech'. A nazi can do or say anything in the name of free speech but the second anyone retaliates 'Oh no, you cant be doing that!'. Cunts.

I'm an atheist so how do I fit into your cis/white Christian Bullshit!

Professor Bear

Quote from: A PRECIOUS LIBERAL SNOWFLAKE on 29 January, 2017, 01:36:18 PM
Additionally: this is why people don't talk about anything anymore. Accusations and willful miss-reading gets in the way of fair and balanced debate!

Ironically, this is how Trump won.  When those of opinions contrary to the mainstream aren't engaged with but attacked and driven underground on social media and away from polling company surveys, it doesn't actually make them stop voting, and more than likely will just give them a persecution complex that reinforces their original views.

Or to put it more simply: whoever Twitter hates most, wins.

Hawkmumbler

Work it out sweety, it's the same entitled, obnoxious shit.

NapalmKev

Fair and balanced debate, you can't beat it. And don't call me sweetie, condescension is weak! Darling!

The Legendary Shark

I agree with Kev on this.

If people are not allowed to say egregious things in public, and be challenged, ridiculed and disproved, those egregious things will go underground and fester. Open speech is vital for reasoned debate.

To punch someone for something they've said or voted for is not particularly civilised and only a short step away from glassing someone in a pub for supporting the wrong football team or fancying the wrong person.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

Okay- This is the second time in the last hour I've been summoned.

Hawk- take five minutes to think before posting- make sure you are not just being reactive.
Kev- step away- you pressed the button so you should stand back and stop winding other boarders up.

Hawkmumbler

Read and understood Bolt, apologies for the heated nature of my posts recently. This particular affair has some personal bearing on me I'm sure you are all aware of.

The Legendary Shark

Furthermore, when did "I disagree with you" mutate into "I hate you"?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 January, 2017, 02:40:43 PM
Okay- This is the second time in the last hour I've been summoned.

Hawk- take five minutes to think before posting- make sure you are not just being reactive.
Kev- step away- you pressed the button so you should stand back and stop winding other boarders up.

I will abide of course, but I'm not sure how me having an opinion is "winding other boarders up".

TordelBack

To punch someone for something they've said or voted for is not particularly civilised and only a short step away from glassing someone in a pub for supporting the wrong football team or fancying the wrong person.

A very, very long step I'd say.  We're talking about actual Nazis here, relativism has its limits, and that to me is reductio ad absurdum.

I agree, shouting down right wingers and truthers/birthers/pro-lifers/brexiteers etc and abusing and belittling them rather than trying to acknowledge their views and persuade through engagement is utterly counterproductive, as everyone must know by now.

But no-one will ever persuade me that punching an actual  Nazi is somehow wrong.

Bolt-01

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 January, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
don't call me sweetie, condescension is weak! Darling!

Kev-This sort of comment is what I mean. It doesn't help and weakens your position.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 January, 2017, 02:58:48 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 January, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
don't call me sweetie, condescension is weak! Darling!

Kev-This sort of comment is what I mean. It doesn't help and weakens your position.

Fair enough.

Cheers