Main Menu

New Poll: Pronouncing "prog": Do you rhyme it with "dog" or with "vogue"?

Started by 2000AD Online, 25 August, 2005, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Trout

These are the questions which vex fish.

- Trout

LARF

Really...

...this is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to thread subjects

Trout

Ah, but I didn't start the thread. I started the poll.

Also, perhaps you should create a more interesting one, Larf. :-p

Nyah, nyah.

- Trout

Satanist

Do you pronounce tomato tomato or tomato. I say tomato!

Also surely underwater fish pronounce prog as gloop!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Quirkafleeg

The Enigmatic Dr X

Vogue. Clearly; it's the first syllable of "Programme"
Lock up your spoons!

Max Kon

but vouge doesn't work as it would have to be spelt proge then.

Prog is in the oxford dictionairy:

[Abbrev.] A television or radio programme.

Sadly the phonics characters won't work here. But it is the same as dog, apart from 'pr' instead of 'd'.

So rhyming with vouge is infact incorrect. Plus it makes it sound like you are reading a ladies mag.

Prog like Dog!!

House of Usher

Prog like dog and vog, obviously. It's not as if it's spelled "progue" like vogue.
STRIKE !!!

Funt Solo

It's pronounced "prooooohg".

Obviously.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tweak72

Well you CAN say 'Progue' as it would be correct but I challenge you to say with out sounding like a pillock. I'll stick to the grammatically incorrect but better sounding 'Prog'. Its worked for me for the last 3 decades
:D
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

LARF

Oy 'bottom feeder', I wasn't having a go at you, crikey you and your fisheryeriority complex...

..any way took your advice

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=14756&Replies=0" target="_blank">the interesting thread

Bad Andy

I don't care what the results of this poll will be - the answer is still -

Prog as in dog
Nike as in hike
Adidas as in 'A deid as' rather than 'ad i das' (which looks stupid when written down but I don't care)
Slaine as in main rather than SHLANTEY
Crest as in chest rather than breast (it's a bloke I tells ye)

I've run out of exmaples. But I will remember many more after a conversation with my southern girlfriend. I don't care if she does work on the radio its cast as in past rather than farst.

Where's that straightjacket?

Satanist

But Prog as in dog makes me think not of thrill power but of lank haired 60's rock opera. I cant be avin that.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tweak72

Ah ha! Well done Max! I couldn?t find it online and don?t have a dictonary so was going on the assumption of ?Progue? as it?s the beginning of ?Programme? but if you have found the definition then:
I officially withdraw the ?incorrect? part of my previous statement as my esteemed colleague has got it spot on it is 'Prog' not 'Progue' and now I challenge you to say ?Progue? without BEING WRONG and looking like a pillock or even, now I think of it, of sounding like an Englishman doing a bad impression of Billy Connelly.  
With Rocks on
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++