Main Menu

New Poll: Should I be boiled alive?

Started by Mudcrab, 29 November, 2005, 10:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Apparently, there are moves afoot to stop lobsters being boiled alive. Local chefs are stunned etc, disaster for Scottish fishing communities and all that...

An interesting twist on the recurring vegetarian thread, do lobsters feel pain or are they just like insects and not deserving of our sympathy?

Discuss...if you've nothing better to do...

P.S. It's not a poll really :o)

Link: http://www.thisisaberdeen.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=148760&command=displayContent&sourceNode=148586&contentPK=13584662&folderPk=85349" target="_blank">Original story from local rag

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Matt Timson

Personally, I couldn't eat a lobster if I knew it was going to be boiled alive first (yes, I know I eat animals that probably die in horrible conditions- I'm a fucking hypocrite).

What's wrong wish simply bashing their brains in before you stick them in the pot?
Pffft...

House of Usher

Erm... vegetarian me says well, they're only lobsters, aren't they? It's bad enough that they get deprived of life to make a delicious meal; how they meet their end is of far less consequence. At least it's quick. I'd feel a lot worse about it if all their legs were to be snapped off first though, or they were killed by being quartered or diced to death, or scooped out with a melon baller while still alive.

So yeah, if you're going to do the poor creatures to death just to fill up your tummy, then go ahead and boil the poor little sods.
STRIKE !!!

Art

All animals that are tasty should die horribly* so that I might partake of their flesh!

*Assuming it makes them yummier.

johnnystress

"You could say the secret ingredient is agony"

Mudcrab

Well, it's all to do with toxins that are released upon death, which are prevented by boiling alive, so the head-bashing thing is out.

There's a bit in the article saying that a knife in the back does the job (how fitting), but it may miss the heart apparently.

I've never eaten lobster myself, and not being a vegetarian I've got no moral objection although I don't think I'd fancy being boiled alive myself. Better the knife in the back in my opinion :o)

One point is that it does away with the whole tradition of choosing your lobster from the tank, which would be akin to choosing which fluffy little lamb from a small paddock on your way into a restaurant. Bit sick, really, although is it? Hmm, who can say, except for the lamb itself, which of course it can't.

Not sure about the details, but the process must be rather quick if it prevents the release of the poison.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Conexus

Lobster is book up for the bad sex award and is entirely freaky (It's about a Lobster saved from death by boiling due to the titanic hitting the iceberg, wanting to have sex with a human woman who also survived the Titanic, and eat his father)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1903517346/104-1534983-2163963?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance" target="_blank">Lobster- what was the author smoking?

Queen Firey-Bou

well my own personal foible, is i'll eat longuistine type whopping great prawns that my mate catches, i can't cope with boiling then tho, & favor the hypothermia freezer death.

but i won't eat lobster cos they live so long, & frankly even a turnip which lives as long as i do deserves some respect beyond a ten minute scoff.

i would eat more stuff off the beach, but i hate killing even the mussels, my chicken & axe story i'll save another day..

and that friends, my inability to kill, is my prime reason for my version of vegertarianism

Conexus

And this is the passage that makes it a contender.

And this is the spoiler space, in case any of you are into Crustiality*

'She reached the staircase and climbed the first step but the cold was numbing her mind. She fainted, upright and motionless with seawater up to her belly. Lobster swam to her purple feet. Cut off the bloodless hand with his pincers, and climbed up the inside of the leg as far as the clenched knees. He was amazed at the pleasure he felt from being held in this way. His pincers slipped between the thighs, prising them gently apart. His feelers were just able to reach the satin of the panties. They fluttered, made the labia quiver. Under the shimmering material a hint of life was returning. Angelina's thighs relaxed. Lobster pulled back his feelers. Tensed and released his tail. His strokes were fast and powerful. He was making headway. He sank himself into her warming muscles; his tail did not falter. He moved forward, a centimetre at a time. Yes! Suddenly he could see the fabric clearly, glistening, pearl-like.'

*well technically, Lobsters aren't beasts- that's mammals-, they're crustacians (sp) so the word makes sense

Conexus

So in answer to the question- yes, Lobsters should be boiled alive, and as soon as possible, if only to  stop them raping Titanic survivours- Haven't they  been through enough???!!!

johnnystress

! thats pretty fucked up right there !

"Angelina loses her clitoris to the pincers of the wrong lobster, and Lobster, feasting on Titanic dead, befriends Jules, a Newfoundland tattoo artist/fisherman, whom he hopes will somehow take him to Angelina. Meeting Angelina on a ship to France, Jules (who's brought Lobster along in a basket) falls in love with her too. With its fortuitous encounters and near misses, its moments of sweet affection and suicidal despair, Lecasble's tale manages to be both tender and appalling. (Feb.) "

Mudcrab

Sweet Grud, there's a tangent I wasn't expecting :o)

So, we looking at a Lobster Random/Leviathan crossover now?

I may have to have a change of name lest I be associated with that book!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Dudley

"Lobster" isn't even original.

Link: http://www.snopes.com/risque/juvenile/lobster.htm" target="_blank">Strong stomachs only

Mudcrab

Eek, I remember that from a while ago, was with a long list of cases of um, similar things growing inside people. Snakes, various insects, you name it.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

johnnystress

I saw a charming mpeg of a squid and a woman "who are in love"

anyone like to see it?

I could trawl the net for it